The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Issues at work from treatments – Need Help

Forums General Melanoma Community Issues at work from treatments – Need Help

Participant

I have posted on here multiple times. Those who know my background please excuse this short summary.

I have Stage IV Melanoma in multiple locations. I completed the Yervoy/Ipi 4 treatments last year.  Am currently do B-raf/MEK.  I got 90% of possible side effects from Yervoy and already had to be temporarily taken off the B-raf/MEK due to side effects.  Had two different rounds of radiation treatments, the last one being whole brain radiation. That's the short of it.

My issue is that I've successfully managed to work throughout the whole process and have only missed a little over two weeks work.  I am a Project Manager for a construction company and my job requires I use my mind all the time.  For the last few months, I've been either in a state of pain, medication, or a combination of both while at work.  Needless to say, my work is suffering.  I cannot afford to take a leave of absence as I'm already two mortgage payments behind from my wifes temporary unemployment last year.

Who can I turn to for financial help?  How quickly can I get on disability and how much will that pay? Can someone tell me how they've gotten financial aid to get them through their battle?

I need help, I can't keep stressing over work issues while trying to win this battle against melanoma.

Dave

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sherron
        Participant

Please go to Social Security and apply for disability.  Do it now!!  They will approve it quickly because you are Stage IV.  My husband was Stage IV before we applied…He wanted to keep working….Well, we filed, and 32 days later it was approved way back to being Stage III…Unfortunately, my husband passed before we knew that his SS Disability had been approved.   Go now…It's yours…Go collect it and use it get caught up on your house payments, and you can quit work and rest. You deserve it.

Take Care,

Sherron (wife to Jim), forever and always

3 years 5 months today (nov 30, 2010)

Sherron
          Participant

Please go to Social Security and apply for disability.  Do it now!!  They will approve it quickly because you are Stage IV.  My husband was Stage IV before we applied…He wanted to keep working….Well, we filed, and 32 days later it was approved way back to being Stage III…Unfortunately, my husband passed before we knew that his SS Disability had been approved.   Go now…It's yours…Go collect it and use it get caught up on your house payments, and you can quit work and rest. You deserve it.

Take Care,

Sherron
            Participant

Take Care,

Kim K
              Participant

You should automatically qualify for SSDI since it has been over 6 months from your diagnosis.  You can download the paperwork from the website, bring your documentation ex. path reports, diagnosis date and stage etc.  

I went right in after my lung surgery and they back dated my 6 month waiting period to the day they first found my lung tumor.  I started getting checks within 2 weeks.

If you have dependant children you can get tax free SSDI payments for them as well since you are the breadwinner of the family.  NO shame, it really helped me.

You can also work for 9 months with unlimited income restriction under the back to work program.  After that, if you work and earn more than $1000 per month, they will reduce your SSDI payments.

Your SSDI payments are also considered taxible income, but your dependant payments aren't taxed.

Your SSDI is based on your taxable income over the past years.

Best of luck.

BTW – after your 9 months, you will need to assess the finances of continuing work, stopping SSDI, or volunteering your skills to stay active while still on SSDI.  For me it was hard to quit work while I figured out what to do.  Subsequently I continued to work and stopped SSDI.  It all depends on where you are at with your disease.

Best of luck, the SSDI really really helped me when I needed it.

Kim K
                Participant

You should automatically qualify for SSDI since it has been over 6 months from your diagnosis.  You can download the paperwork from the website, bring your documentation ex. path reports, diagnosis date and stage etc.  

I went right in after my lung surgery and they back dated my 6 month waiting period to the day they first found my lung tumor.  I started getting checks within 2 weeks.

If you have dependant children you can get tax free SSDI payments for them as well since you are the breadwinner of the family.  NO shame, it really helped me.

You can also work for 9 months with unlimited income restriction under the back to work program.  After that, if you work and earn more than $1000 per month, they will reduce your SSDI payments.

Your SSDI payments are also considered taxible income, but your dependant payments aren't taxed.

Best of luck.

BTW – after your 9 months, you will need to assess the finances of continuing work, stopping SSDI, or volunteering your skills to stay active while still on SSDI.  For me it was hard to quit work while I figured out what to do.  Subsequently I continued to work and stopped SSDI.  It all depends on where you are at with your disease.

Kim K
                  Participant

Best of luck.

LuckyMan51
                    Participant

Dave,

As the other member pointed out as having metasticised melanoma you will be fast tracked and with that stage IV diagnosis you will be automatically approved by Soc Security Admin as its on the Compassionate Allowances list. Bear in mind the delay between the approval and payment is six months. You can get a payment for yourself, your spouse and any child until they are 18 years old up to a max. A portion of the award can br taxable depending on total income you receive. Google it up for more info. You can fill out this form yourself and be prepared to provide medical documentation from your doctor.here is another type of SS disability you can get based on need. Check out SSI and SSDI on the web. 

Do you have short term and long term disability also through your employer? The information should be in your employee handbook of your a Human a Resources benefits person can get the information for you. These LTD policies are more tricky as language isn't standard. The personally owned supplemental policies are usually superior to the group policies many people get. You will likely have either a 90 or 180 day elimination/waiting period in this type of disability insurance. If you have this additional disability coverage I would recommend you have an attorney handle the filing for you as the insurers will look to escape paying unless you prove disability. They make it challenging but an experienced disability attorney can likely present your case and get you paid if the illness impacts your ability to earn. You should make sure you discuss the work difficulty with your doctor so you are on record noting the issue. 

Dealing with this disease is incredibly stressful and physically the disease and often the treatments take a toll. If your ability to earn a living is impacted you should have no qualms about filing for benefits as you paid in and are deserving of the income protection. 

Given the lengthly delay I would recommend filing immediatly. Based on my experience I would absolutely consult an attorney who specializes in disability work. 

LuckyMan51
                      Participant

Dave,

As the other member pointed out as having metasticised melanoma you will be fast tracked and with that stage IV diagnosis you will be automatically approved by Soc Security Admin as its on the Compassionate Allowances list. Bear in mind the delay between the approval and payment is six months. You can get a payment for yourself, your spouse and any child until they are 18 years old up to a max. A portion of the award can br taxable depending on total income you receive. Google it up for more info. You can fill out this form yourself and be prepared to provide medical documentation from your doctor.here is another type of SS disability you can get based on need. Check out SSI and SSDI on the web. 

Do you have short term and long term disability also through your employer? The information should be in your employee handbook of your a Human a Resources benefits person can get the information for you. These LTD policies are more tricky as language isn't standard. The personally owned supplemental policies are usually superior to the group policies many people get. You will likely have either a 90 or 180 day elimination/waiting period in this type of disability insurance. If you have this additional disability coverage I would recommend you have an attorney handle the filing for you as the insurers will look to escape paying unless you prove disability. They make it challenging but an experienced disability attorney can likely present your case and get you paid if the illness impacts your ability to earn. You should make sure you discuss the work difficulty with your doctor so you are on record noting the issue. 

Dealing with this disease is incredibly stressful and physically the disease and often the treatments take a toll. If your ability to earn a living is impacted you should have no qualms about filing for benefits as you paid in and are deserving of the income protection. 

Given the lengthly delay I would recommend filing immediatly. Based on my experience I would absolutely consult an attorney who specializes in disability work. 

LuckyMan51
                        Participant

Dave,

doro
                          Participant

Hi Dave,

Hopefully your case will be expedited appropriately, since malignant melanoma is on the SSA Compassionate Allowance list (http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/conditions.htm).

As back up, you might consider contacting one of your federal representatives (U.S. Senator or House Rep) to ask them to follow up on your claim after you have filed it. While they can't force the SSA to take certain action or bend the rules for anyone, a caseworker in a federal representative's office should be able to send out an inquiry to check on the status of your case and make sure it has been appropriately flagged as a Compassionate Allowance case. Sometimes that type of follow up can be helpful — and it's free, unlike a disability lawyer! I know several people who have received help from constituent services staff working for California reps.

Best,

Doro

doro
                            Participant

Hi Dave,

Hopefully your case will be expedited appropriately, since malignant melanoma is on the SSA Compassionate Allowance list (http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/conditions.htm).

As back up, you might consider contacting one of your federal representatives (U.S. Senator or House Rep) to ask them to follow up on your claim after you have filed it. While they can't force the SSA to take certain action or bend the rules for anyone, a caseworker in a federal representative's office should be able to send out an inquiry to check on the status of your case and make sure it has been appropriately flagged as a Compassionate Allowance case. Sometimes that type of follow up can be helpful — and it's free, unlike a disability lawyer! I know several people who have received help from constituent services staff working for California reps.

Best,

Doro

doro
                              Participant

Hi Dave,

Best,

Doro

Sherron
                                Participant

Dave,

Everything that was posted is correct…Go file…You should get a large check

going back to sometime where you where Stage III.  I noticed the large deposit in our account the day after I buried my husband.  It was bitter-sweet.  They will move you through quickly.  Good Luck.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim , (FOREVER AND ALWAYS)

PROFILE – Sherron

Sherron
                                  Participant

Dave,

going back to sometime where you where Stage III.  I noticed the large deposit in our account the day after I buried my husband.  It was bitter-sweet.  They will move you through quickly.  Good Luck.

Take Care,

PROFILE – Sherron

Sherron
                                    Participant

Dave,

Take Care,

PROFILE – Sherron

Dave from Ormond
                                        Participant

Thanks for all the help everyone!  I really appreciate it.

One question:  On the Social Security Disablity website they say you have to be not working to even apply.  I am currently still working.  Can I still apply and get approved?

Thanks again.

Dave from Ormond
                                          Participant

One question:  On the Social Security Disablity website they say you have to be not working to even apply.  I am currently still working.  Can I still apply and get approved?

Thanks again.

MattF
                                            Participant

Dave I went into the office with my pathology report that said stage III……

a lady literally sat down and helped me file…within a month a check was in my account…with back pay.

I would not recommend trying to read the rules and determining etc….

Auto qulaifier is CANCER SPREAD TO OR BEYOND LYMPH NODES I believe…

So go in and let them help you file for Social Security Disability.

MattF
                                              Participant

a lady literally sat down and helped me file…within a month a check was in my account…with back pay.

rgrand
                                                Participant

This topic is of immense importance to many of us. One of the reasons I am emotionally struggling with my diagnosis is because I am the breadwinner in my household. It frightens me and saddens me that if my diagnosis is worse than my current prognosis, that my loss of income may jeopardize the ability for me to keep my house if I cannot keep my job/benefits that my employers provide. 

Is there a FAQ for this website, or stickies that this particular items can be promoted to? It would be very helpful if we had such a bulletin board of commonly asked questions regarding Social Security Disability benefits such as, how one applies, who is covered, benefit amounts, waiting times, automatic (compassionate) qualifications, etc. A lot of the FAQ stuff seems to be treatment oriented, which is great, but there's a lot of communal/wiki information that could make the transition from being recently diagnosed to getting on with your treatment and life, a bit easier.

I know it's all available on SSA.gov, but it's easier to digest when it comes from the kind people from this group who have experience with our particular medical condition.

rgrand
                                                  Participant

This topic is of immense importance to many of us. One of the reasons I am emotionally struggling with my diagnosis is because I am the breadwinner in my household. It frightens me and saddens me that if my diagnosis is worse than my current prognosis, that my loss of income may jeopardize the ability for me to keep my house if I cannot keep my job/benefits that my employers provide. 

Is there a FAQ for this website, or stickies that this particular items can be promoted to? It would be very helpful if we had such a bulletin board of commonly asked questions regarding Social Security Disability benefits such as, how one applies, who is covered, benefit amounts, waiting times, automatic (compassionate) qualifications, etc. A lot of the FAQ stuff seems to be treatment oriented, which is great, but there's a lot of communal/wiki information that could make the transition from being recently diagnosed to getting on with your treatment and life, a bit easier.

I know it's all available on SSA.gov, but it's easier to digest when it comes from the kind people from this group who have experience with our particular medical condition.

rgrand
                                                    Participant

It looks like SSD does apply for certain stages of MM. But I am confused about Medicare. If a MM patient can qualify for SSD benefits, why do they automatically enroll you into Meducare, but only after you have received SSD benefits for two years???

Am I reading the SSA.gov website right? Two years seems like an inhumane amount of time to go without healthcare insurance of so e kind…unless there's something in the ACA that answers this?

rgrand
                                                      Participant

It looks like SSD does apply for certain stages of MM. But I am confused about Medicare. If a MM patient can qualify for SSD benefits, why do they automatically enroll you into Meducare, but only after you have received SSD benefits for two years???

Am I reading the SSA.gov website right? Two years seems like an inhumane amount of time to go without healthcare insurance of so e kind…unless there's something in the ACA that answers this?

rgrand
                                                        Participant

rgrand
                                                          Participant

MattF
                                                            Participant

Dave from Ormond
                                                              Participant

Thanks again.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics