The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is this something of concern?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is this something of concern?

Participant

I had a melanoma on my left shoulder over 1 1/2 yrs ago. It was 2A, ulcerated with a high mitosis. I had all of the suspicious moles removed then stopped going to the doctor. I figured at my age it isn't going to happen again when I only had one really large and irregular mole. So here's why I am asking today: I see nothing visible and no lumps I can find on the arm but 6 or so weeks ago it started swelling in the hand and about 8 inches above the wrist. I first noticed because I couldn't wear a watch then later had to remove my wedding ring.

I had a melanoma on my left shoulder over 1 1/2 yrs ago. It was 2A, ulcerated with a high mitosis. I had all of the suspicious moles removed then stopped going to the doctor. I figured at my age it isn't going to happen again when I only had one really large and irregular mole. So here's why I am asking today: I see nothing visible and no lumps I can find on the arm but 6 or so weeks ago it started swelling in the hand and about 8 inches above the wrist. I first noticed because I couldn't wear a watch then later had to remove my wedding ring. Now today I cannot bend the fingers.

So please tell me its something else and if it were melanoma I would see something visible.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lori C
        Participant

The problem is, no one can give you the answer you want because the mantra is "any persistent change must be biopsied".  It is probably not melanoma but "probably" is not an acceptable risk to take in dealing with something like melanoma.  You have absolutely nothing to lose by going to the doctor, telling him/her your history and letting them have a look at it and check it out.  On the other hand, ignoring it if it IS melanoma related would be – well, really bad.

Lori C
          Participant

The problem is, no one can give you the answer you want because the mantra is "any persistent change must be biopsied".  It is probably not melanoma but "probably" is not an acceptable risk to take in dealing with something like melanoma.  You have absolutely nothing to lose by going to the doctor, telling him/her your history and letting them have a look at it and check it out.  On the other hand, ignoring it if it IS melanoma related would be – well, really bad.

Melanoma Mom
            Participant

Age really has nothing to do with this disease. I urge you to find a dermatologist and/or physician that you trust and get check-ups on a regular basis. "Ignorance is bliss" does not apply to melanoma.

Melanoma Mom
              Participant

Age really has nothing to do with this disease. I urge you to find a dermatologist and/or physician that you trust and get check-ups on a regular basis. "Ignorance is bliss" does not apply to melanoma.

Janner
                Participant

Did you have a Sentinel Node biopsy when you had your melanoma removed?  Your description sounds a lot like lymphedema which can be triggered even by removing one lymph node from the drainage path.  This is where lymph fluid essentially get trapped and cannot drain.  Lymphedema can be annoying or serious.  The thing is, you want to learn to treat this early before it can become chronic.

So, it is possible this is NOT melanoma, but still related to your melanoma surgeries.  I definitely think a visit to the doctor is in order.  Even if it is not malignant and "only" lymphedema, it still needs to be treated!

Best wishes,

Janner

itsmitzi
                    Participant

Yes, I had a Sentinel Node biopsy with 2 nodes removed, but would lymphedema start a year and 8 months after the snb?

dian in spokane
                      Participant

I agree with Janner that it sounds like lymphadema. Did you have any signs of lymphadema when you had the original SNB? and is this similar?

Nevertheless..with your history, you should go to the doctor.

I think you already know this

itsmitzi
                        Participant

No, no prior lymphadema. It just started mid October 20 months after the snb surgery. It seems to swell as I sleep then go down a bit during the day as I use it.

itsmitzi
                          Participant

No, no prior lymphadema. It just started mid October 20 months after the snb surgery. It seems to swell as I sleep then go down a bit during the day as I use it.

dian in spokane
                            Participant

I agree with Janner that it sounds like lymphadema. Did you have any signs of lymphadema when you had the original SNB? and is this similar?

Nevertheless..with your history, you should go to the doctor.

I think you already know this

Janner
                              Participant

Have you had some minor injury to the arm?  Yes, lymphedema can start later although that probably isn't the most common.  But you could have some type of trigger that starts an event and it just doesn't always go away on its own.  It sounds like the swelling is pretty significant so, no matter the cause, it is time to see a doctor.

itsmitzi
                                Participant

No, no injury either.

I lost confidence with my oncologist in April and since then I feel it sort of  has spread to/ applies to all doctors.

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

Change oncologists and find one who specialized in Melanoma…Melanoma is not like other cancers…If I had stayed with my original oncologist I would be dead now instead of NED for the past 8 months  = :o) You have to personally advocate, research and seek out the best oncologists and treatment plans for yourself…

LynnLuc
                                    Participant

Change oncologists and find one who specialized in Melanoma…Melanoma is not like other cancers…If I had stayed with my original oncologist I would be dead now instead of NED for the past 8 months  = :o) You have to personally advocate, research and seek out the best oncologists and treatment plans for yourself…

itsmitzi
                                      Participant

No, no injury either.

I lost confidence with my oncologist in April and since then I feel it sort of  has spread to/ applies to all doctors.

Janner
                                        Participant

Have you had some minor injury to the arm?  Yes, lymphedema can start later although that probably isn't the most common.  But you could have some type of trigger that starts an event and it just doesn't always go away on its own.  It sounds like the swelling is pretty significant so, no matter the cause, it is time to see a doctor.

itsmitzi
                                          Participant

Yes, I had a Sentinel Node biopsy with 2 nodes removed, but would lymphedema start a year and 8 months after the snb?

Janner
                                          Participant

Did you have a Sentinel Node biopsy when you had your melanoma removed?  Your description sounds a lot like lymphedema which can be triggered even by removing one lymph node from the drainage path.  This is where lymph fluid essentially get trapped and cannot drain.  Lymphedema can be annoying or serious.  The thing is, you want to learn to treat this early before it can become chronic.

So, it is possible this is NOT melanoma, but still related to your melanoma surgeries.  I definitely think a visit to the doctor is in order.  Even if it is not malignant and "only" lymphedema, it still needs to be treated!

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics