The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is this a melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Is this a melanoma

Participant

I know it’s not possible to diagnose unless getting a biopsy but I will be getting one in a few weeks nowhere else can get me in and I’m scared. I’ve had this mole my whole life (that I can remember) i just noticed it started looking bigger in a month or so. It’s probably 4mm or so. Maybe one color or two. I just had a baby last year I’m not ready to cash out any time soon.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

No one can tell by just looking, but honestly this doesn't jump out and scream at me and say melanoma.  However, a biopsy is the only way to know for certain.  As a background, I've found my own 3 melanomas and one on someone else.  Yours certainly doesn't have all the classical ABCDs of melanoma.  75% of melanomas occur on new moles, only 25% occur on existing.  Take heart, get it looked at, but try not to stress too much in the meantime.

Melissa1987
            Participant

Thank you! I’m not happy about having to wait 6 weeks to even get it checked out. I wish I knew for sure if they could schedule a surgery for the same day if needed. I really hope I’m worrying about nothing but you can never be too sure

JennH
            Participant

I am an not an expert but I do know they can change with hormonal changes. Given you had a baby a year ago your body has been adjusting for some time. For peace of mind have your dr. Take a look. Best wishes.

MarkR
              Participant

I’m not a doctor but I would say no it isn’t.  If you’re worried you must get it checked to rule it out and give yourself peace of mind

bjeans
                Participant

Hi Melissa – You received responses on your other threads that also might be helpful, but maybe you hadn’t seen them. (I realize it can be a little difficult at first to find previous threads – you can select your own name to find other posts your wrote, or select an earlier page number – your other threads were one page back.)

Here’s the thread with the other photo: 

https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/melanoma-6

Waiting is tough; hang in there. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics