The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is there a prize for having it spread to this many places?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is there a prize for having it spread to this many places?

Participant

After the dual neck resections in December and 2 Opdivo treatments, I finally got a few scans a couple days ago after going to the ER for severe back pain. 

And mel is in my neck, several spots in my lungs, my liver, my spleen, a spot near my umbilical hernia and a nice big bone met on my spine. *mic drop* Oh and they won't call me back about the head MRI so let's assume its there too. All this in 3 months.

Has ANYONE else had it spread this far, this fast? To say I'm devastated is an understatement. 

I could really use some encouragement right now. :'(

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        cjm22
        Participant

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this ๐Ÿ™ My husband had a similar experience. He was first diagnosed stage 4 last February with 2 brain mets and 2 lung nodules. A PET scan showed no other cancer in the rest of his body. Then he had to get a craniotomy and lots of brain radiation so we couldn't start immunotherapy right away.

Two months later … When he did his baseline PET scan (well, "baseline" but also kind of an emergency because he was so sick) in order to start immunotherapy, we found it had spread to basically every organ: one lung had collapsed under the tumour burden, spine, pelvis, femur, jaw, liver, kidneys, spleen, adrenals, multiple soft tissue lesions, still in his brain of course, probably more that I'm forgetting to be honest. It was just devastating. I saw the PET scan several months later and his whole torso was just one huge cancerous mass.

So, yeah, it can spread that quickly and it really sucks. I'm sorry.

In my husband's case, he was able to go on BRAF inhibitors and those cleared him up very quickly for several months! 98% tumour reduction. Within a few weeks he was off home oxygen and walking around again. Radiation to the metastasis in his spine, and, later, a steroid epidural to the same area, also helped his pain a lot. To be honest I think effective pain control is really just as important as trying treatments. It's no kind of life when you're in immense pain all the time.

Maybe BRAF inhibitors would work for you, or maybe it is time to introduce Yervoy/ipilimumab alongside the Opdivo/nivolumab.

Other people on this board also have some pretty miraculous stories to give you some hope! I hope they will chime in. In the meantime I hope you get some effective pain relief soon.

cjm22
            Participant

I feel like I could have been even more encouraging! OK maybe you can think of it this way — you were stage 3 before, so the docs were taking it "easy" on you with just Opdivo. That was the smart choice at the time. But since you are stage 4 now, there are BIG GUNS to use which can also work on stage 4 melanoma! Opdivo + Yervoy, BRAF inhibitors, some other cool stuff in the US that us Canadians don't seem to have access to yet … So now it's just time to bring out the big guns!

Many people are able to live with and beat stage 4 melanoma, too!

So, it totally sucks that you've left the land of stage 3. But there is still hope (and treatment options) with stage 4, too ๐Ÿ™‚

SOLE
              Participant

Indeed, none of this is availabe to this day in Canada! The cruelty of this situation, in 2019, is beyond words. From SOLE in Montreal, going for 2.5 years CT next Monday. Hoping for safety yet again…

cjm22
                Participant

My husband was able to get ipi/nivo, BRAF/MEK inhibitors, and pembro through BC medical coverage! And he's not even Canadian, he's here on a work permit! But the cool stuff like T-VEC doesn't seem to be available here, at least not for my husband. He is not eligible for any trials as far as our oncologist knows.

Linda5
                  Participant

I believe these are available but funding differs by province.  I’ve had Tafinlar/ Mekinist and ipi but these were paid through private coverage.  I’ve had Keytruda through the government program (was combined with the ipi paid for privately).  This organization provides a good summary of what’s available and who covers 

Linda5
                    Participant

I believe these are available but funding differs by province.  I’ve had Tafinlar/ Mekinist and ipi but these were paid through private coverage.  I’ve had Keytruda through the government program (was combined with the ipi paid for privately).  This organization provides a good summary of what’s available and who covers 

sister of patient
                    Participant

Hi WW,

I'm so, sooo sorry you've been dealt this blow!! I can only imagine your devastation – mel didn't happen to me, it went after my sister but I think I understand how shocking a fast jump from stage 3 to 4 is. Her spread was also very fast, very extensive >> spine, other bones .. all the organs you mention and all had multiple mets. BUT – targeted and immunotherapies did the job – totally!! She was NED a year a half later and has remained so. 

As CJM22 said, there is hope – in fact, there's a great deal of it!! You'll find many caring and feeling people here who have been exactly where you are right now and they're doing well today. Hopefully, many more of them will respond.

During the most devastating times for me, I found it really helpful to read their stories – I read the profiles and histories of everyone who posted an NED story!! It helped because, while my mind was just a jumble of anxious and fearful thoughts, I learned there was "a way through this" … that people did recover and survive this demon disease – and all of the information their stories provided helped me to focus!! Helped my sister too – tremendously.

As CJM said too, likely your treatment will now become more aggressive. You can learn about everything that can and may happen here on this site – treatment options, side effects, etc. The knowledge and information sharing is invaluable. All of that >> arming myself with info and knowing there were many folks successfully treated, helped bring me out of "devastation" mode. 

Right now … my heart goes out to you and I wish you the very best of outcomes but please know that you are not "alone" and that you can get through this!!! Take care.

Barb

Dympsd
                      Participant

Thats awful. My husband went from a small mole removal in 2011 to Multiple brain, liver, kidney, neck, bone tumors this november, total shock. I can imagine your fear and frustration. Seriously though I was on this forum as "Desperate" a few weeks back as my husband was deteriorating rapidly, dragging left side  then unable to walk and eventually in wheelchair with left sided neglect, drowsy and confused to being fully self caring, alert orientated and happy. Initially he had 14 brain tumors then gained another 7 in two months.The "miracle" all happened after we switched thrapy from Keytruda infusions to BRAF and MEK targeted therapy. It has really been a miraculous transformation and one I never thought was a possibility but I was wrong. Hope is alive and you have to know you have great medicines around now. My husband had a large boil like melanoma on his neck that the dermatologist decided to leave as he thought it would be a good "window" to see how he was reacting to medicaition and after two days my husband already noticed it was smaller and now after two weeks its gone. good luck to you. One day at a time xo

HeidiZ
                          Participant

Hi, I also had melanoma of the scalp and a neck dissection just like you. Mine progressed pretty quickly also. Went from 3c November 2016 to stage IV Feb 2017. Most of my melanoma was all over my liver and spleen, neck and enlarged lymph nodes throughout my body including my scalp.  My oncologist said let’s fight back hard and we did the first 4 doses of the ippi/nivo and thereafter 16 keytruda.  The shrinking of tumors seemed to disappear very slowly but eventually my pet/ct scans show no cancer activity. Your doctor can add ippi to your opdivo and your tumors can be tested for the Braf+gene that can reduce your tumor burden very quickly. It sounds like you have a terrific support system surrounding you which is great!  Take deep breaths, quiet walks and one day at a time. Heidi

Wicked Witch
                          Participant

Thank you all . . thank you thank you thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear!!!

They told me today I have 12 mets in the brain. I have 5 sessions of radiation for my spine every day next week, and a meeting with the gamma knife team. 

My doc said it takes THREE WEEKS for the gamma knife to be approved? I loathe Aetna. 

Thank you, all of you, for the responses. This doesn't feel like a death sentence anymore. *hugs* I wish you all were in Pittsburgh so I could buy you a beer!

Edwin
                              Participant

In one study ipi + nivo helped control brain mets much better than nivo alone did.

In the topic "New to this forum, Brain met question and help” Ed Williams added this:
                                This link was from a year earlier and features Dr. Long of Australia talking about ABC trial from Australia for brain mets.

Johnjk04
                              Participant

Helloooo Wicked Witch – I believe that I already responded to you but to be sure I'll give you my status now.   In 2012 I became stage IV with mets to the brain (quite a few), both lungs, liver, kidney, gall bladder and the left adrenal gland. After a couple of craniotomies, Gamma Knives and the Ippi / no one combo I was declared NED eight months later. So right now I am 6.5 years cancer free. So don't think that you have it the worse, you have plenty of companions here, some a lot worse than you. The only item that can conquer fear is hope and that is what all of us are laying on you today. Maybe we can change the WW to the good and gentle witch from the south ( Wizard of Oz). You are not alone, we are all in this mess together.

Johnjk04
                                  Participant

Sorry the spell correct put no one for my nivo.

Wicked Witch
                                    Participant

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement John!

And haven't you seen Wicked? The wicked witch wasn't all that wicked after all ๐Ÿ˜‰

Johnjk04
                                      Participant

I know that you are a good person. "Wicked" the musical – my bad I don't get out that often. Enjoy your weekend, stay happy, you are with a lot of great people here.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics