The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is there a healthy way I can gain weight?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is there a healthy way I can gain weight?

Participant

Back in 2013 when this all started I changed my diet to more natural non processed stuff. I attribute a lot of my weight loss to that. No matter what I ate though I never have been able to regain weight loss.

However more recent I rapidly in about a week lost 6 or so pounds due to a swallowing issue before the radiation fixed it. Once fixed I still could not gain weight no matter what I ate even pizza. Now I'm losing weight I guess because the radiation has messed up my stomach so diarrea which still is not in control although thought it finally was until again last night and even threw up.

Im almost to my high school weight so I'm trying to find a way to regain my weight loss. I even ate some fairly healthy processed snack foods but no success.

I did find at GNC the old weight gainer I did when I was young and working out. I imagine that would put the weight on me. About 2000 calories per scoop in a glass. But it talks about how it helps create and restore new veins to muscles making them stronger and things. That is all I need is to help the tumors create more veins to make them stronger too. So I'm afraid using it would be worse.

im not very healthy anymore. I can walk a few minutes with a cane.

So I dunno is there a healthy way I can gain weight? Something full of calories or whatever helps us gain weight?

Artie

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        kpcollins31
        Participant

Artie,

I would shy away from the weightgainer shakes, but you could consider standard protein shakes… maybe just add them in addition to what you are currently able to eat. I think they would help you regain some strength as the protein is important but they are not calorie bombs like the weightgainer shakes are. Optimum Nutrition is a solid brand and it is widely available online or at GNC. Has your doctor offered any suggestion here?

Kevin

kpcollins31
          Participant

Artie,

I would shy away from the weightgainer shakes, but you could consider standard protein shakes… maybe just add them in addition to what you are currently able to eat. I think they would help you regain some strength as the protein is important but they are not calorie bombs like the weightgainer shakes are. Optimum Nutrition is a solid brand and it is widely available online or at GNC. Has your doctor offered any suggestion here?

Kevin

yazziemac
              Participant

Hi Artie

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well.  What about eating nuts and avocados?  They are very high in calories but very healthy.  I know that some people put avocados in their smoothies, if you're not a fan of them on their own.  I hope that your strength builds up soon.

Yasmin

yazziemac
                Participant

Hi Artie

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well.  What about eating nuts and avocados?  They are very high in calories but very healthy.  I know that some people put avocados in their smoothies, if you're not a fan of them on their own.  I hope that your strength builds up soon.

Yasmin

yazziemac
                  Participant

Hi Artie

Yasmin

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

Thank you. Yes the doc said to drink boost which tastes awful to me and is load with manufactured sugar. The nutritionist says things like peanut butter, pizza, ice cream.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

Thank you. Yes the doc said to drink boost which tastes awful to me and is load with manufactured sugar. The nutritionist says things like peanut butter, pizza, ice cream.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Artie

kpcollins31
                        Participant

Artie,

Kevin

CHD
                          Participant

I work sort of on the periphery of the medical field and most doctors will recommend a nutritional supplement like Ensure, 3 times a day, to their patients who need to gain weight in a healthy way.  There are a few out there besides Ensure, which I personally don't like the taste of.  I think Carnation Instant Breakfast is another one.

I just can't think of any physiological way that a food or beverage could have a direct effect on the circulatory system in the way described by the maker of that high-calorie drink.  I am not sure that claim could have any real basis to it.  Could you ask one of your doctors whether that is even possible?  Maybe print out an ingredient list off the web site and bring it in on one of your visits, so they can look it over themselves.  Because if you could rule that out, that drink might be a great solution for you.

The trick to gaining or losing weight all comes down to how many calories you take in versus burn off.  To gain weight you've got to increase calories. 

So one way to do this is to take in more calorie-dense foods.  The foods that most people stay away from while dieting (pasta, potatoes, nuts, french fries, cake, pizza) would be high in calories and the more you eat of them, the easier to gain weight.  Of course, you don't want to fill your body with junk either, but it might be worth including a few more of these until you are gaining some.  Alternately, you could increase your overall intake of the healthier foods you already eat and possibly add a nutritional supplement like Ensure.  Or all of the above.   But until you are able to manage the diarrhea, it will be difficult to gain weight too, so that will be another angle to consider.  How to get that under control so you are holding onto your calories long enough to absorb them?  Possibly a medication like Imodium?

Good luck, Artie!

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Thank you. Yes I took Imodium per the nurse which seemed to work great that was why I was surprised the diarrhea came back after 6 days without. Then the throw up was a very big suprise. They did a ct scan yesterday so maybe by Tuesday they will find what is going on. I still think it is the radiation that damaged something and it is just taking time to heal. We shall see.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

Thank you. Yes I took Imodium per the nurse which seemed to work great that was why I was surprised the diarrhea came back after 6 days without. Then the throw up was a very big suprise. They did a ct scan yesterday so maybe by Tuesday they will find what is going on. I still think it is the radiation that damaged something and it is just taking time to heal. We shall see.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

I read that weight gainer a little wrong. It claims it increases the flow of the veins to the muscles carrying nutrients to make the muscles stronger. As I said that my doc finished my thought of if it is doing that to my muscles what is it doing to my tumors. So he definitely wants me to stay away from it. He doesn't know though why I don't gain weight so we will keep an eye on it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                      Participant

I read that weight gainer a little wrong. It claims it increases the flow of the veins to the muscles carrying nutrients to make the muscles stronger. As I said that my doc finished my thought of if it is doing that to my muscles what is it doing to my tumors. So he definitely wants me to stay away from it. He doesn't know though why I don't gain weight so we will keep an eye on it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                        Participant

Artie

CHD
                                        Participant

I work sort of on the periphery of the medical field and most doctors will recommend a nutritional supplement like Ensure, 3 times a day, to their patients who need to gain weight in a healthy way.  There are a few out there besides Ensure, which I personally don't like the taste of.  I think Carnation Instant Breakfast is another one.

I just can't think of any physiological way that a food or beverage could have a direct effect on the circulatory system in the way described by the maker of that high-calorie drink.  I am not sure that claim could have any real basis to it.  Could you ask one of your doctors whether that is even possible?  Maybe print out an ingredient list off the web site and bring it in on one of your visits, so they can look it over themselves.  Because if you could rule that out, that drink might be a great solution for you.

The trick to gaining or losing weight all comes down to how many calories you take in versus burn off.  To gain weight you've got to increase calories. 

So one way to do this is to take in more calorie-dense foods.  The foods that most people stay away from while dieting (pasta, potatoes, nuts, french fries, cake, pizza) would be high in calories and the more you eat of them, the easier to gain weight.  Of course, you don't want to fill your body with junk either, but it might be worth including a few more of these until you are gaining some.  Alternately, you could increase your overall intake of the healthier foods you already eat and possibly add a nutritional supplement like Ensure.  Or all of the above.   But until you are able to manage the diarrhea, it will be difficult to gain weight too, so that will be another angle to consider.  How to get that under control so you are holding onto your calories long enough to absorb them?  Possibly a medication like Imodium?

Good luck, Artie!

CHD
                                          Participant

Good luck, Artie!

SABKLYN
                                            Participant

Nuts have about 1000 calories per cup.  They are low in sugar and I believe a good source of healthy fat and protein.  If you have a blender, making a smoothie with nuts, banana/mango/berries, protein powder, almond or coconut milk would give you a tasty calorie boost that would be easy to digest.  Ensure as others suggested would be good as well

SABKLYN
                                              Participant

Nuts have about 1000 calories per cup.  They are low in sugar and I believe a good source of healthy fat and protein.  If you have a blender, making a smoothie with nuts, banana/mango/berries, protein powder, almond or coconut milk would give you a tasty calorie boost that would be easy to digest.  Ensure as others suggested would be good as well

SABKLYN
                                                Participant

Tamils
                                                  Participant

You could see if any of these recipes appeal:

http://www.caregiverslibrary.org/caregivers-resources/grp-diseases/hsgrp-cancer/recipes-for-cancer-patients-article.aspx

My dad liked the vanilla ice cream milkshakes, using fortified milk (regular milk with extra powdered milk stirred in for protein and calories).  I also made him the nut butter spread, using organic almond butter– nut butter, honey, powdered milk, water, and vanilla.  Instead of the powdered milk, you could use protein powder if you prefer.

This is a link to tips for increasing protein, or for increasing calories.

http://www.caregiverslibrary.org/Portals/0/Cancer_Nutrition_Tables_and_Recipes.pdf

Tamils
                                                    Participant

http://www.caregiverslibrary.org/caregivers-resources/grp-diseases/hsgrp-cancer/recipes-for-cancer-patients-article.aspx

My dad liked the vanilla ice cream milkshakes, using fortified milk (regular milk with extra powdered milk stirred in for protein and calories).  I also made him the nut butter spread, using organic almond butter– nut butter, honey, powdered milk, water, and vanilla.  Instead of the powdered milk, you could use protein powder if you prefer.

http://www.caregiverslibrary.org/Portals/0/Cancer_Nutrition_Tables_and_Recipes.pdf

Tamils
                                                      Participant

Lil0909
                                                        Participant
                                                          I agree with nuts/nut butters and avocados. I’ve been trying to maintain weight with nausea and some stomach problems. High quality cheese and Justin’s almond butter have really helped me, or I love an avocado on toast or flat bread or just on its own with a bit of salt… and cookies!!! 🙂

I would try making shakes with (hormone free) whole milk and nut butter

Lil0909
                                                          Participant
                                                            I agree with nuts/nut butters and avocados. I’ve been trying to maintain weight with nausea and some stomach problems. High quality cheese and Justin’s almond butter have really helped me, or I love an avocado on toast or flat bread or just on its own with a bit of salt… and cookies!!! 🙂

Lil0909
                                                            Participant

Bubbles
                                                              Participant

Hey Artie.  Looks like you have some good and varied advice here. I think a good basic diet is certainly good start. I know for me, when I can't get exercise, I have a decreased appetite. I know exercise is really impossible for you right now in the regular sense….but I've worked with patients who did isometric exercises to help improve strength, muscle function, and overall well being. It can be as simple as clenching and uncleanching…your calf, your thigh, bootie, tummy, forearm and bicep. Just pick a set of muscles, clench, hold, rest, repeat for a certain number of reps and move to the next set. You can be sitting, standing, laying down. Sounds kind of silly, but sometimes it helps! Hang in there! Celeste

Bubbles
                                                                Participant

Hey Artie.  Looks like you have some good and varied advice here. I think a good basic diet is certainly good start. I know for me, when I can't get exercise, I have a decreased appetite. I know exercise is really impossible for you right now in the regular sense….but I've worked with patients who did isometric exercises to help improve strength, muscle function, and overall well being. It can be as simple as clenching and uncleanching…your calf, your thigh, bootie, tummy, forearm and bicep. Just pick a set of muscles, clench, hold, rest, repeat for a certain number of reps and move to the next set. You can be sitting, standing, laying down. Sounds kind of silly, but sometimes it helps! Hang in there! Celeste

Bubbles
                                                                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                                    Participant

Thank you all. Lots of good info. I will try to implement some things and get stronger.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                      Participant

Thank you all. Lots of good info. I will try to implement some things and get stronger.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                        Participant

Artie

Squash
                                                                          Participant

You can eat all the food you like but if you have faulty protein metabolism which is common in cancer patients then you wont put on weight.

You need to start taking digestive enzymes e.g. porcine pancreatic enzymes and you need to take high doses of them.

I couldnt put on any weight after losing 10kgs and going from 84kgs to 73kgs. In the last three months without changing diet i have put back on 6kgs taking high doses of pancreatic enzymes. I take 60 a day. 10 caps 1 hour before meals and 10 caps in between meals.

Squash
                                                                            Participant

You can eat all the food you like but if you have faulty protein metabolism which is common in cancer patients then you wont put on weight.

You need to start taking digestive enzymes e.g. porcine pancreatic enzymes and you need to take high doses of them.

I couldnt put on any weight after losing 10kgs and going from 84kgs to 73kgs. In the last three months without changing diet i have put back on 6kgs taking high doses of pancreatic enzymes. I take 60 a day. 10 caps 1 hour before meals and 10 caps in between meals.

Squash
                                                                              Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                                                  Participant

The doc said since my bowel movements have everything sinks to the bottom I don't have a enzyme issue. He said I would have stuff floating on top especially like a fatty substance and not just occasionally but all the time.

So I dunno. He doesn't know though why I don't gain weight so we are going to keep a closer eye on it.

ill have to keep this enzyme stuff in mind though. At least the past week or so my weight has been stable again so that is good.

Thanks.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                                    Participant

The doc said since my bowel movements have everything sinks to the bottom I don't have a enzyme issue. He said I would have stuff floating on top especially like a fatty substance and not just occasionally but all the time.

So I dunno. He doesn't know though why I don't gain weight so we are going to keep a closer eye on it.

ill have to keep this enzyme stuff in mind though. At least the past week or so my weight has been stable again so that is good.

Thanks.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                                      Participant

Thanks.

Artie

barbudo2005
                                                                                        Participant

Hi, Squash

I am on zelboraf for 12 months and I've lost 12 kilos. I went from 73 to 61, thats 1 kilo for month!!!!

I read your post and it make a lot of sense. If you read what is Zelboraf is B-Raf enzyme inhibitor  so I think it may inhibits all kinds of enzymes.

You say you take 10 caps. What does that mean in terms of units of lipase? For example, Creon 10000 has 10000 units of lipase.

Thank you!

barbudo2005
                                                                                          Participant

Hi, Squash

I am on zelboraf for 12 months and I've lost 12 kilos. I went from 73 to 61, thats 1 kilo for month!!!!

I read your post and it make a lot of sense. If you read what is Zelboraf is B-Raf enzyme inhibitor  so I think it may inhibits all kinds of enzymes.

You say you take 10 caps. What does that mean in terms of units of lipase? For example, Creon 10000 has 10000 units of lipase.

Thank you!

barbudo2005
                                                                                            Participant

Hi, Squash

Thank you!

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics