The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is surgery realistic?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is surgery realistic?

Participant

Hi excuse me if this question sounds naive, but I'm just wondering whether surgery is an option even though you have tumors in spleen, liver, one lung, in skin near kidney? I know that surgery is a palliative option but is it worth going in and being aggressive with surgery to increase overall survival? At the  moment Zelboraf is shrinking tumors but I know it's going to stop one day and I just can't help thinking …go in and remove what you can…can't this help?

Thanks in advance

Nahmi from Melbourne

Hi excuse me if this question sounds naive, but I'm just wondering whether surgery is an option even though you have tumors in spleen, liver, one lung, in skin near kidney? I know that surgery is a palliative option but is it worth going in and being aggressive with surgery to increase overall survival? At the  moment Zelboraf is shrinking tumors but I know it's going to stop one day and I just can't help thinking …go in and remove what you can…can't this help?

Thanks in advance

Nahmi from Melbourne

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Nahmi, this is a good question. The wisdom of having local surgery for a systemic
          disease has been a subject of controversy. A lot depends on the individual
          circumstances.

However, I feel that if the tumour burden can be reduced by surgical resection, then
          this could possibly give systemic treatments a better chance of success. You would
          need to consult a surgical oncologist about this. See:
          http://journals.lww.com/melanomaresearch/Fulltext/2008/02000/Evidence_and_interdisciplinary_consensus_based.10.aspx

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Nahmi, this is a good question. The wisdom of having local surgery for a systemic
            circumstances.

However, I feel that if the tumour burden can be reduced by surgical resection, then
            this could possibly give systemic treatments a better chance of success. You would
            http://journals.lww.com/melanomaresearch/Fulltext/2008/02000/Evidence_and_interdisciplinary_consensus_based.10.aspx

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

circumstances.

Take care

Frank from Australia

P Brown
              Participant

Nahmi,

I haven't posted here since summer when I asked the same question as you and got no responses.  It must not be a common thing.

My wife had her nearly completely cancerous spleen removed this July even though she had other mets in liver, lungs and some previously treated in brain.  The thought was the spleen was spreading the cells as fast as we could treat the cancer, so why not remove it.  Since then we have been hitting the remaining cancer with chemo with the intention of moving to yervoy after the new year.  (she already had yervoy a year ago and had some response)

So, yes, it does happen.  She continues to live a mostly normal life and we haven't regretted the surgery once.

Hope this helps,

Paul

deardad
                  Participant

Thanks for the responses.

Frank from the link it sounds like surgery could be an option down the track. Thanks for the link.

Paul, Im glad to hear your wife is doing ok.. I noticed you didn't fill in a profile page, when was she diagnosed and where? Did she try the GSK trial and how long till a reocurrence? Sorry for all the questions but sounds like my father and your wife have the same organ involvement.

Take care and hope that she continues to do well.

Ps sorry no-one got back to you, usually they always do…probably cirucumstances.

Nahmi from MelbourneT

deardad
                    Participant

Frank from the link it sounds like surgery could be an option down the track. Thanks for the link.

Paul, Im glad to hear your wife is doing ok.. I noticed you didn't fill in a profile page, when was she diagnosed and where? Did she try the GSK trial and how long till a reocurrence? Sorry for all the questions but sounds like my father and your wife have the same organ involvement.

Ps sorry no-one got back to you, usually they always do…probably cirucumstances.

Nahmi from MelbourneT

deardad
                      Participant

Nahmi from MelbourneT

P Brown
                      Participant

Nahmi,

I haven't posted here since summer when I asked the same question as you and got no responses.  It must not be a common thing.

My wife had her nearly completely cancerous spleen removed this July even though she had other mets in liver, lungs and some previously treated in brain.  The thought was the spleen was spreading the cells as fast as we could treat the cancer, so why not remove it.  Since then we have been hitting the remaining cancer with chemo with the intention of moving to yervoy after the new year.  (she already had yervoy a year ago and had some response)

So, yes, it does happen.  She continues to live a mostly normal life and we haven't regretted the surgery once.

Hope this helps,

Paul

P Brown
                        Participant

Nahmi,

Hope this helps,

Paul

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics