The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is my DR jumping the gun? Am I?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is my DR jumping the gun? Am I?

Participant

So to give you a brief history I am somewhat of a hypochondriac.. was diagnosed with a stage 1a melanoma back in October of 2014 and had my WLE in early November.  So its has almost been a year.  My melanoma was located on my left neck, Superficial Spreading, was clark level 2, 0.22 mm breslow thickness and had no ulceration and had no mitosis.  Because of the shallowness of the lesion no SNB was done.  The scar has been healing nicely.

I know that even those of us that arent hypochondriacs it takes a while to not think that every new pain or ache is melanoma coming back of metastitis.  Anyway I have been keeping up with my appointments with my Derm and he has removed a few spots since and all have come back benign.  

Anyway, about a month ago I woke up and my left ear felt compltely muffled.  Hearing was drastically reduced.  Went to an instacare who sent me to an ENT who couldnt find anything.  within a week after the ENT appointment my hearing came back completely, however ever since (so the last 3 weeks or so) I have had pressure on and off in both my ears, and random sensations and pains in my face and shoulders and neck, but the most concerning are random ice pick like headaches that come and go.  There is no rhyme or reason to them, they are sharp and stabbing and usually occur on either my left or right temple.. sometimes on the top of my head and rarely the back of my head.  Sometimes I go 5-10 minutes between them.. sometimes I go 5-6 hours between them and otherwise feel normal and fine.  No real balance issues, no vision problems, haering is mostly back to normal.  No swollen lymph nodes that I can feel.  

Of course my mind instantly jumped to brain mets from my thin melanoma after this not clearing up for 2-3 weeks.  I know the odds arent really tipped that way, but of course melanoma has destroyed my way of thinking logically. To be fair I have been under a lot of stress and anxiety over the last two months with health issues my wife has had that have thankfully been resolved.

So I went to my GP today and told him the whole story and because of my melanoma history he is sending me in for an MRI tomorrow.  He said the symptoms dont sound typical of bran tumor but beacuse I had melanoma he doesnt want to take any chances.  He then also perscribed me an antibiotic that he wants me to take if the MRI shows nothing or sinusitus.  

Anyway are we jumping the gun getting an MRI with a lesion as thin as mine?  I know that melanoma can spread at any stage and its a tricky beast, but it kind of scares me.  My derm said that the chance of my melanoma spreading internally or coming back is less than 2 percent and that the chance of me getting another one in my lifetime is around 1 in 50.. but 2% is 2%.  Anyway thanks for listening to me vent and thanks in advance for any advice you have.  Ill let you know how it turns out. 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

I don't see any downside to getting the MRI.  Ask for the headphones instead of the ear plugs–you'll be in there for a good 45 minutes or so.

Mat
          Participant

I don't see any downside to getting the MRI.  Ask for the headphones instead of the ear plugs–you'll be in there for a good 45 minutes or so.

Mat
            Participant

Gordknight
                Participant

Thanks Mat.  Ill be sure and do that.  Im really hoping that this turns out to be nothing.  Every time I try to put my melanoma behind me something happens that boots it back in my face.  Either way after this MRI Im getting an appointment for a therapist lol.

Gordknight
                  Participant

Thanks Mat.  Ill be sure and do that.  Im really hoping that this turns out to be nothing.  Every time I try to put my melanoma behind me something happens that boots it back in my face.  Either way after this MRI Im getting an appointment for a therapist lol.

Gordknight
                    Participant

BrianP
                    Participant

I'd recommend the MRI.  It's probably nothing but 2-3 weeks is long enough to deal with the stress. 

Gordknight
                        Participant

Indeed.  These days stress seems to dominate my life.  I try to keep everything in perspective, but its easy for my mind to catastrophize everything.  At least if the MRI is clear Ill have some peace of mind.  

Gordknight
                          Participant

Indeed.  These days stress seems to dominate my life.  I try to keep everything in perspective, but its easy for my mind to catastrophize everything.  At least if the MRI is clear Ill have some peace of mind.  

Gordknight
                            Participant

BrianP
                            Participant

I'd recommend the MRI.  It's probably nothing but 2-3 weeks is long enough to deal with the stress. 

BrianP
                              Participant

SABKLYN
                                Participant

Highly unlikely it is anything, but no harm in it and it will bring you some peace

SABKLYN
                                  Participant

Highly unlikely it is anything, but no harm in it and it will bring you some peace

SABKLYN
                                    Participant

brewgirl68
                                      Participant

I agree that there is no harm in the MRI, but you might be well served to check with your insurance company to make certain that they will cover this. An MRI is so far outside the norm for a Stage 1 dx that they may not approve it….and that is not a surprise that you want when it's all over.

Good luck and best wishes!

Sheila

brewgirl68
                                        Participant

I agree that there is no harm in the MRI, but you might be well served to check with your insurance company to make certain that they will cover this. An MRI is so far outside the norm for a Stage 1 dx that they may not approve it….and that is not a surprise that you want when it's all over.

Sheila

brewgirl68
                                          Participant

Sheila

Kim K
                                            Participant

The MRI isn't just looking for melanoma.  Other causes of your symptoms can be ruled in or out ex. infection, vascular issues etc. and is often done for migraine diagnosis etc.  The MRI can pick up other changes as well which may be responsible for your problems independant of melanoma.

You are not a walking tumor.  It is easy to be looked at as a body part and not listen to the whole.  Sometimes people become so specialized they forget to look outside their respective box, thus the MRI is good to get done.  Heck, it may only be a case of severe TMJ…..

Best of luck.  Let us know the outcome.  I don't think anyone is jumping the gun, just doing diagnostics for something going on in / around your head causing symptoms.

KK

Kim K
                                              Participant

The MRI isn't just looking for melanoma.  Other causes of your symptoms can be ruled in or out ex. infection, vascular issues etc. and is often done for migraine diagnosis etc.  The MRI can pick up other changes as well which may be responsible for your problems independant of melanoma.

You are not a walking tumor.  It is easy to be looked at as a body part and not listen to the whole.  Sometimes people become so specialized they forget to look outside their respective box, thus the MRI is good to get done.  Heck, it may only be a case of severe TMJ…..

Best of luck.  Let us know the outcome.  I don't think anyone is jumping the gun, just doing diagnostics for something going on in / around your head causing symptoms.

KK

Gordknight
                                                  Participant

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support!  I had the MRI today and already have the results.  I can breathe a sigh of relief.  Everything is completely normal.  No infection, or evidence of metastasis or of any other kind of tumor.  So my Doc said its probably muscle tension, the fact that I stare at computer screens all day at work mixed in with a lot of stress and he wants me to take the antibiotics anyway to make sure there isnt a lingering middle ear infection or something along those lines.  I have also got an appointment for a good Health Anxiety therapist.  Feels good to get some peace of mind.

Thanks again everyone!

Gordknight
                                                    Participant

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support!  I had the MRI today and already have the results.  I can breathe a sigh of relief.  Everything is completely normal.  No infection, or evidence of metastasis or of any other kind of tumor.  So my Doc said its probably muscle tension, the fact that I stare at computer screens all day at work mixed in with a lot of stress and he wants me to take the antibiotics anyway to make sure there isnt a lingering middle ear infection or something along those lines.  I have also got an appointment for a good Health Anxiety therapist.  Feels good to get some peace of mind.

Thanks again everyone!

BrianP
                                                      Participant

Awesome news!  I love that week or two after a clean scan where every little pain or headache doesn't cause a slight bit of anxiety.  Wish that would last longer than a couple weeks though!

BrianP
                                                        Participant

Awesome news!  I love that week or two after a clean scan where every little pain or headache doesn't cause a slight bit of anxiety.  Wish that would last longer than a couple weeks though!

BrianP
                                                          Participant

Gordknight
                                                            Participant

Thanks again everyone!

Kim K
                                                            Participant

KK

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics