The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is Jim Breitfeller around?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is Jim Breitfeller around?

Participant

Does anyone know if Jim Breitfeller is still active on this forum? I haven't seen him post in a while.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Good question. The best that I can tell from his blog is that the last post he wrote was last year.

http://melanomamissionary.blogspot.com/   There is alot of info on his blog.

POW
            Participant

Well, that's just it. He used to write dozens of blog posts each year. In 2013 he only wrote 3 (last one was May, 2013). He hasn't posted here in a long time, either. So I was just wondering if he's been busy or moved on to other things or what.  

Maureen038
              Participant

Thanks for posting his twitter! That's very helpful. Thanks for all you do for melanoma research Jim!!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                Participant

Thanks for posting his twitter! That's very helpful. Thanks for all you do for melanoma research Jim!!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                  Participant

Maureen

POW
                    Participant

Well, that's just it. He used to write dozens of blog posts each year. In 2013 he only wrote 3 (last one was May, 2013). He hasn't posted here in a long time, either. So I was just wondering if he's been busy or moved on to other things or what.  

POW
                      Participant

Gene_S
                      Participant

Good question. The best that I can tell from his blog is that the last post he wrote was last year.

Gene_S
                        Participant

jim Breitfeller
                          Participant

Yes, I am here in the background.

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

JoshF
                                Participant

Glad to see that….been going through your blog…very interesting. Hope you're well!!!

Josh

JoshF
                                  Participant

Glad to see that….been going through your blog…very interesting. Hope you're well!!!

Josh

POW
                                    Participant

Hi, Jim-

Thanks for checking in. I am delighted that you are still here sharing your knowledge and experience with us. If you don't mind, I do have a question for you.

Partly as a result of your publications and persistent efforts, we are beginning to see a resurgence of IL-2 used in combination with checkpoint inhibitors like ipi and anti-PD1. The hope is that IL-2 will enhance and extend the benefits of the checkpoint inhibitors resulting is long-term NED or even permanent cures. 

My concern is that in some of your prior posts here, you have described what I call a "window of opportunity"  for IL-2. You seem to think that it is important that the IL-2 be administered 50-60 days after the first ipi infusion. Is this still your recommendation? How important is the timing? In other words, if a patient completes the whole course of ipi or anti-PD1 (12-16 weeks) and then gets IL-2, will they still benefit from the IL-2? Are there any publications or clinical trials investigating the timing for combining checkpoint inhibitors with IL-2 administration?

POW
                                      Participant

Hi, Jim-

Thanks for checking in. I am delighted that you are still here sharing your knowledge and experience with us. If you don't mind, I do have a question for you.

Partly as a result of your publications and persistent efforts, we are beginning to see a resurgence of IL-2 used in combination with checkpoint inhibitors like ipi and anti-PD1. The hope is that IL-2 will enhance and extend the benefits of the checkpoint inhibitors resulting is long-term NED or even permanent cures. 

My concern is that in some of your prior posts here, you have described what I call a "window of opportunity"  for IL-2. You seem to think that it is important that the IL-2 be administered 50-60 days after the first ipi infusion. Is this still your recommendation? How important is the timing? In other words, if a patient completes the whole course of ipi or anti-PD1 (12-16 weeks) and then gets IL-2, will they still benefit from the IL-2? Are there any publications or clinical trials investigating the timing for combining checkpoint inhibitors with IL-2 administration?

jim Breitfeller
                                        Participant

Your question about timing is a very good one. My theory is based on activation of the T-cells (CD-4 and CD8). CD-4 is the helper T-cell and CD-8 is known as the cytotoxic T-cell. These T-cells grow and propagate at different growth patterns. In the literature, CD4 cells growth in vivo takes about 33 days. Where as the CD-8 T-cells take about 49 days to reach its maximum propagation. Now the amount of time may differ from patient to patient base on microenvironment of the cells. This means there can be a lot of different cytokines present or made by these cells that can hinder, delay or help propagate these cells.

Also, once the T-cells are activated, within 3 -6 days the receptors CTLA-4, PD-1 and others upregulate from within the and surface to the outer layer of the T-cells. These receptors will then bind to other proteins that complete the signaling to shut down the T-cell activation. This our body’s way of making sure our T-cells don’t over react to the immune response. That is why the anti-bodies of the receptors  (yervoy and  Anti-PD-1) are called checkpoint modulators.

Now to get back to the timing. IL-2, Think of it as growth factor/fertilizer for your cells. If IL-2 is dosed to early in the growth process, the suppressive Tregs will grow faster than the CD4 helper T-cells and can shut down the immune response.

If IL-2 is added late in growth (50 days or longer) it has been shown that CD-8 T-cells (Cytotoxic T-cells) seem to flourish. When supplied exogenously, IL-2 increases the magnitude of cytolytic activity generated. (Baker et al., 1978)

L-2 therapy was highly beneficial during the death phase, resulting in increased proliferation and survival of Tumor-specific T cells.  IL-2 treatment also increased proliferation of resting memory T cells in the host that controlled the disease. Tumor-specific T cells in chronically infected Host also responds to IL-2 resulting in decreased tumor burden. Thus, timing of IL-2 administration and differentiation status of the T cell are critical parameters in designing IL-2 therapies (Blattman et al., 2003).

jim Breitfeller
                                          Participant

Your question about timing is a very good one. My theory is based on activation of the T-cells (CD-4 and CD8). CD-4 is the helper T-cell and CD-8 is known as the cytotoxic T-cell. These T-cells grow and propagate at different growth patterns. In the literature, CD4 cells growth in vivo takes about 33 days. Where as the CD-8 T-cells take about 49 days to reach its maximum propagation. Now the amount of time may differ from patient to patient base on microenvironment of the cells. This means there can be a lot of different cytokines present or made by these cells that can hinder, delay or help propagate these cells.

Also, once the T-cells are activated, within 3 -6 days the receptors CTLA-4, PD-1 and others upregulate from within the and surface to the outer layer of the T-cells. These receptors will then bind to other proteins that complete the signaling to shut down the T-cell activation. This our body’s way of making sure our T-cells don’t over react to the immune response. That is why the anti-bodies of the receptors  (yervoy and  Anti-PD-1) are called checkpoint modulators.

Now to get back to the timing. IL-2, Think of it as growth factor/fertilizer for your cells. If IL-2 is dosed to early in the growth process, the suppressive Tregs will grow faster than the CD4 helper T-cells and can shut down the immune response.

If IL-2 is added late in growth (50 days or longer) it has been shown that CD-8 T-cells (Cytotoxic T-cells) seem to flourish. When supplied exogenously, IL-2 increases the magnitude of cytolytic activity generated. (Baker et al., 1978)

L-2 therapy was highly beneficial during the death phase, resulting in increased proliferation and survival of Tumor-specific T cells.  IL-2 treatment also increased proliferation of resting memory T cells in the host that controlled the disease. Tumor-specific T cells in chronically infected Host also responds to IL-2 resulting in decreased tumor burden. Thus, timing of IL-2 administration and differentiation status of the T cell are critical parameters in designing IL-2 therapies (Blattman et al., 2003).

jim Breitfeller
                                            Participant

jim Breitfeller
                                              Participant

Publications or clinical trials investigating the timing for combining checkpoint inhibitors with IL-2 administration are very scarce due to the fact that Big Pharma wants to use their drugs as a mono-therapy. It is a lot easier to get FDA approval mono-therapy than a combinatorial therapy. So the big Pharma will do clinical trials as a mono-therapy and then maybe as a combinatorial therapy. Only time will tell.

jim Breitfeller
                                                Participant

Publications or clinical trials investigating the timing for combining checkpoint inhibitors with IL-2 administration are very scarce due to the fact that Big Pharma wants to use their drugs as a mono-therapy. It is a lot easier to get FDA approval mono-therapy than a combinatorial therapy. So the big Pharma will do clinical trials as a mono-therapy and then maybe as a combinatorial therapy. Only time will tell.

jim Breitfeller
                                                  Participant

jim Breitfeller
                                                    Participant

jim Breitfeller
                                                      Participant

JoshF
                                                        Participant

Jim-

This is good info. I just finished ipi on Dec 9 and began HD IL2 on Jan 6th. The timing here would be too early? I'm in a trial sponsored by Prometheus Labs and that was guideline. The 2nd round began January 20th which is obviously better timing so I wonder if my benefit from combo would be compromised. Just trying to better understand. Also if this dose timing is out there why don't pharmacy companies try to adhere more to it? I'm a little disappointed but hoping I realize the benefit!

Josh

jim Breitfeller
                                                          Participant

Josh,

When did you start Ipi?

Since combinatorial immuno-therapy is quite new, Timing of the two or three have not been explored in the context of a clinical trial.

HD IL-2 + Ipilimumab in Patients With Metastatic Melanoma (PROCLIVITY 02)

This study is currently recruiting participants.
                                                            Verified November 2013 by Prometheus Laboratories
                                                            Sponsor:
                                                            Collaborators:
                                                            M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
                                                            Johns Hopkins University
                                                            Information provided by (Responsible Party):

Prometheus Laboratories
                                                            ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier:
                                                            NCT01856023
                                                            First received: May 10, 2013
                                                            Last updated: November 21, 2013
                                                            Last verified: November 2013

JoshF
                                                            Participant

Started ipi in early October. Believe October 9 to be exact.

JoshF
                                                              Participant

JoshF
                                                                Participant

jim Breitfeller
                                                                  Participant

Josh,

When did you start Ipi?

Since combinatorial immuno-therapy is quite new, Timing of the two or three have not been explored in the context of a clinical trial.

Sponsor:
                                                                    Collaborators:
                                                                    Johns Hopkins University

Prometheus Laboratories
                                                                    NCT01856023

jim Breitfeller
                                                                    Participant

Josh,

When did you start Ipi?

Sponsor:
                                                                      Collaborators:
                                                                      Johns Hopkins University

Prometheus Laboratories
                                                                      NCT01856023

JoshF
                                                                      Participant

Jim-

This is good info. I just finished ipi on Dec 9 and began HD IL2 on Jan 6th. The timing here would be too early? I'm in a trial sponsored by Prometheus Labs and that was guideline. The 2nd round began January 20th which is obviously better timing so I wonder if my benefit from combo would be compromised. Just trying to better understand. Also if this dose timing is out there why don't pharmacy companies try to adhere more to it? I'm a little disappointed but hoping I realize the benefit!

Josh

JoshF
                                                                        Participant

Jim-

Josh

jim Breitfeller
                                                                          Participant

POW
                                                                            Participant

Hi, Jim-

JoshF
                                                                              Participant

Josh

jim Breitfeller
                                                                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics