The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is it safely to replace Opdivo with Keytruda during the treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Is it safely to replace Opdivo with Keytruda during the treatment

Participant

Good day!

My Mom has stage IV cancer. Melanoma. She has been taking Opdivo for a month, once every two weeks, as recomended. However, Opdivo has run out in my country (I do not live in the USA) and the doctor suggested that I used Keytruda instead of Opdivo. I understand that both treatments are very similar. However, how safe and reasonable is it to replace Opdivo with Keytruda before even getting the first results of any progress? If my mom starts Keytruda, will it means that she starts treatment from the very beggining?

The second question is regarding plan B. There is recomendation regarding combined treatment: Opdivo + Evroy, as a plan B. However, if I do not have Opdivo, is it possible to combine Keytruda and Evroy? I have never seen such recomendations, but only with Opdivo.

Can you advice?

Thx

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant

A trial of Keytruda + Yervoy for stage 4 melanoma patients had similar successes and problems as a trial of Opdivo + Yervoy for stage 4 melanoma patients did.    
          I suspect the Keytruda + Yervoy combo would work as well as the Opdivo + Yervoy combo.  I switched from Keytruda immunotherapy to Opdivo + Yervoy immunotherapy, because Keytruda did not help me.  However, Keytruda works as well as Opdivo for most people.  My guess is your mother could switch from Opdivo immunotherapy to Keytruda immunotherapy or Keytruda + Yervoy immunotherapy.

Casitas1
          Participant
            Back in 2015 I failed Ipi/Nivo and then Nivo alone due to severe side effects and tumor growth. In 2016 after low dose Chemo(2 mos.) I did Keytruda and had an almost instant response after 1st infusion. Was NED after seven infusions. Hoping to be NED 2.5 years on Wednesday. I think it’s worth a try until scans. 4 to 6 months? Best to you and your Mom, Paul
            Bubbles
            Participant

Sorry for what you and your mom are dealing with.  There have been quite a few studies looking at pembro (pembrolizumab/Keytruda) combined with ipi and side effects and responses have been very similar to the ipi/nivo combo.  Here are some of those reports: 

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=pembro+and+ipi  

Hope that helps. I wish you and your mom my best.  celeste

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics