The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is it ok to feel angry, mad, moody???

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Is it ok to feel angry, mad, moody???

Participant

Hello! I was diagnosed with stage 3A back in October. I had a mole on my left cheek. My dermatologist removed it. It was 1.3mm non-ulcerated with a mitotic rate of 1.

After that I had a WLE and a SLN in which they removed 2 lymph nodes and 1 of them had microscopic melanoma cells in it. My oncologist recommended for my not to do a Complete Lymph Node removal because according to him, it does not improve the survival statistics.

Since then I had a clear PET/CT scan, although they found a NON-hypermetabolic 4mm nodule on my left lobe on my lung. Doctors were not concerned about it since it didn't light up but they will keep monitoring it. I will start adjuvant Opdivo treatment on Nov. 30th.

The thing is that lately I've been feeling mad, angry, moody. I feel this isn't fair. I'm ready to fight and everything specially because I want to be here for my 2 little girls and my hubby. The NOT knowing how am I going to respond to the treatment it just adds up to this "anxiety" I've been feeling. I know treatments are better that ever and I'm lucky to have access to these treatments but it still worries me to be in this situation. 

I'm currently going to the UT Health Center in San Antonio, Tx which now is working in collaboration with MD Anderson in Houston.  I've called MD Anderson in Houston twice just to ask about if I should go all the way to Houston and they told me the offices in San Antonio have access to the same procedures and trials so I know I'm in good hands. It's just overwhelming and I feel really bad about all this! 🙁 It's too much to process and I guess I'm very afraid of dying at 34 and leaving 2 little girls without a mom so soon. Sorry I guess I just had to vent with somebody that truly understands what is like going through this. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        swalters1038
        Participant
          I’m 35 year old dad with a 4 year old and one on the way diagnosed 3c. My biggest struggle has also been the leaving my children behind. All I can say is, however you cope with the diagnosis is appropriate. I’ve just tried to stay as positive and healthy as possible. I always remind myself that there is always someone that has it worse. I stayed at an american cancer society Hope lodge, and it was eye opening.
          Bubbles
          Participant

Hi Karina, 

Sorry for what you are dealing with.  I was 39 years old when first diagnosed with Stage IIIb melanoma in 2003 with a 10 and 12 year old.  So, I know a lot about how you're feeling.  EXCEPT!!!  There was no treatment for me at that time.  NOTHING.  Now…that does NOT mean you should be happy about your situation.  Melanoma at any time, any where sucks great big green stinky hairy wizard balls!!  But, you DO have treatment options.  To that end….I had another lesion in 2007.  Still no treatment other than surgery.  I progressed to Stage IV with brain and lung mets in 2010.  BUT!!!!  After radiation to the brain met and removal of the right upper lobe of my lung, I was lucky to get in a trial of what was called MDX1106 at the time….your Opdivo.  After a 2 1/2 year trial, with my last dose in June of 2013….I remain melanoma free to this day with no further treatment.  Opdivo was FDA approved for Stage IV folks in 2011 and for folks like you (and "me" in 2003) in 2017!!

Here's a post I wrote about that approval and a little history of the drug you will be taking if you are interested:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/12/about-damn-time-opdivo-approved-as.html

Here is an essay I wrote for Health Monitor magazine a couple of years ago that shares some of how I dealt with my journey, which might (or not) help you deal with yours: 

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/04/health-monitor-magazine-focuses-on.html  

My point is…there is hope.  If Opdivo can keep a Stage IV patient melanoma free 8 years down the road (and there is a ton of data that proves that it can….not just me!!!) then think what it can do for a Stage III patient.  This is good!!!  

Melanoma, and treatment for it, is still unfair, wrong, yucky, rotten, sucky, nasty….you get the idea.  BUT….it is not insurmontable nor without hope.  Because of the treatment you will soon be starting, you do NOT have a death sentence.  

Hang in there.  You can do this.  Yell and scream all you like here.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

sing123
              Participant

Celeste, I’ve been reading some of your blog posts.  Thank you so much for documenting and making available some of your journey. Really appreciate it! 

Best,

Cindy, IIIb and initially diagnosed with melanoma on the top of my head in April 2018

KarinaJ
                Participant

Hi Celeste! You are right, not having any options back in the days was much worse. I'm truly blessed to be part of this group (minus the cancer LOL) Thank you so much for your help and kind words. I will read your blog more often to see what else can I ifind.

One last thing, did you change your diet once you found out about Melanoma? If so is there anything else  I can do to improve my chances on being here for a long time?

Thank you again!

Bubbles
                  Participant

Nope.  Not really.  Now…that said…I have always been a foodie, cooked daily at home and eaten ALL the vegetables (except rutabaga!!  BLECH!!!)  Here is a post I wrote back in 2010: 

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2010/05/comic-reliefsort-of.html

I've exercised all my life, always used sun screen and never been overweight or smoked.  And…melanoma didn't care.  That said….I DO believe in exercise and good nutrition.  I think it helps everyone.  But, to your specific question….although all sorts of charlatans will have you believe you need to do this diet or that – here's a review of a few:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-diet-advice-for-melanoma_13.html  no one specific diet or additive will cure your melanoma nor prevent it.

On the other hand….we do know lots of patients have low levels of vitamin D and that can impact melanoma.  Here are lots of articles and posts:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=vitamin+d

So I do take a Vitamin D supplement daily.

We have also learned that certain bacteria in our gut can be helpful (or less so) in making immunotherapy more effective:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/01/microbes-againand-how-they-may-be.html  So, I do make sure I eat things like yogurt and make smoothies using keffir.  Add things with live cultures – sauerkraut, kimchi – to the menu.

Hope that helps. 

Oh.  And there are studies that say exercise helps: 

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-in-2013jump-up-jump-aroundand.html

Celeste

RichInLife2
                    Participant

KarinaJ, there are many diets out there and after looking at a few of them and not being able to decide on one, I chose to just do what a person without cancer would do if they were committed to a healthy lifestyle. I switched to a mostly plant-based diet, cutting out white sugars and white flour, processed foods, with smaller portions of chicken, fish and lean red meat. I also exercised more, meditated, and cut out alcohol. I figured anything I could do to improve my biome would help my immune system. I don't know if had a positive effect on my treatment, but I felt good and I also felt like I was taking an active role in my heath care. 

Of course, I went an got diabetes as a side effect of treatment, which kind of put a wrench in all of that for the time being, but that's another story.

SABKLYN
                    Participant

Hi Karina,

welcme to the site.  You’re feelings are TOTALLY understandable, especially since you were only diagnosed a month ago.  I was diagnosed in October of 2011 3A with two positive nodes in my inguinal node basin. The first several weeks were full of questions and anxiety.  Decisions on CLND, clinical trials, concerns about my wife and children (they were 16 and 20 then so not quite children, but too soon to be without me) if this didn’t go well, etc.  I had a consult at Emory, switched care to Sloan Kettering, had the CLND and as t8 e (and scans) marched on, I was able to put the diagnosis in a The right mental space and didn’t let it dominate any part of my life.  So my advice would be to stay with the care plan you decide is best, enjoy your kids and your life, rather than letting  the diagnosis dominate it.   And as Celeste mentioned, there are several new modalities for treatment and more options coming down the pipeline.  Good luck with all and keep the gang here on our Melanoma Pirate Ship up to date.

Regards,

Stan

sing123
                      Participant

All feelings are ok. In my case, I go through sharp periods of sadness, but somehow I bounce back just as quickly. I have a nine and a 10-year-old and of course they are ever present in my thoughts. And am recently engaged.  I worry about all three of them,  But am also ever grateful for the times we are in and the revolution in treatment. 

I also see it as a journey, and part of my story.  And feel empowered when I feel in control of the condition. I do this by researching and understanding options the best I can. And practicing self-care as I can (for me this is yoga, meditation, and being outside). 

You will find your own self-care. Hugs to you. 

Cindy, IIIb initially discovered in April 2018, two surgeries and on Opdivo, currently considering radiation

MelanomaMike
                        Participant

Hi KarinaJ, Im Mike, nice to meet you under our shared situation! your right on schedule with what your feeling, technically, your still in the "infancy" of learning that you have cancer {Melanoma} and it takes time to set your mental state in to Fight Mode!. Like sister Celeste aka Bubbles just wrote, for me, back in 2008 i was also diag as 3b and after that dark, dreary day i was like "Im Gunna Die!" i thought to my self "So This Is How Im To Die?" i kinda prefered the old days of "Not Knowing" how im gunna die, now i know how its gunna play out…

Today, its 2018 and im still here! 10 years later, 6 different surgeries & Immunal Therapy {starting Nov 2017} since 2008 and im still here! ya, my disease has progressed to stage 4 and now its in my lungs but so what! thats what cancer tends to do, it progresses, my Immunal drug "Opdivo" is slowing its growth {and even killing off some tumors}  and i take that as Victorious! once again, im still here! Im NOT out of the fight til im COMPLETLEY out of the fight!!..im due for Surgery on Dec 17th  to rid a 5.4cm Mel Monster in my Right Lower Lobe {right bottom lung} that is NOT responding to any Immunal Drug we throw at it, its gotta go…Youll get use to it, hopefully you become NED early and not have to go through the up`s & down`s of Warfare year after year like a lot of us, but if you do, just keep your boots on, try to stay strong {i tend to meltdown beeelieve me!} and do as your told by your Care Team. Enjoy life as best you can, and LOVE the heck out of those 2 girls you have, Youll be fine, stick around here at MRF, yer part of the family now!…

KarinaJ
                            Participant

Yes, that's me! "I'm going to die!!!!" and I keep crying frustrated and sad and mad and all those emotions. I guess you are right I need to change my attitude because I honestly don't recognize myself anymore. I was super positive, energetic and I now feels that all of that is down the drain. 

But you know what? I'm here and I'm ALIVE and I want to keep living for many years to come, so for now I'll just ask God to please have a successful treatment with the least amount of side effects possible! I'll be super positive this coming Friday so the medicine will like me! LOL jk. 

Thank you so much for your kind words!!!

I hear you and I get you.  I'm always trying to catch up and process the emotional part of this.  The denial, the acceptance, the compartmentalizing so you can just get through the day.  Not wanting to face the day.  Wanting to smack the next co-worker who complains about a bad hair day when you are still dealing with hair loss from radiation.  All the feelings are OK and the moodiness is OK. No one else knows unless they have been through your exact moments and your exacti journey.  We all share similarities and we understand more than most but it isn't quite the same.  I have been hoping for two years that my husband would get it but he just never will.  That said have hope.  You have a strong team here to support you. 

Good wishes to you,

Jennifer

WithinMySkin
                            Participant

Hi Karina! YES YES YES we all feel ALLLLL the feelings going through this junk. Some days are angry days, others are sad days, and some days you feel grateful for every breath. The ups and downs and anxieties of any cancer diagnosis are oh so real. Days and even a week or two of the 'downs' is normal. But what isn't OK is when you get stuck with these feelings and can't get out of the hole – that's when your feelings take over your life and you need to get help. I reached that point myself and began journaling, blogging, and doing mindfulness meditiation after I spoke with a professional. I knew that melanoma was taking over my life and I needed to regain control of my thoughts. It could take my physical body, but I wouldn't let it take my personality and who I really am on the inside. THAT belongs to me, not melanoma, as long as I'm given more time on this earth.

Wishing you health and happiness!

Lauren

Michele B
                              Participant

Hi Karina, Yes you absolutely have a right to have all those feelings. My husband was diagnosed 7/17 with Stage IV Advanced Metastatic Melanoma, disease was so advanced no chance for any surgery and he still goes through these feelings at times. My husband has been on Opdivo for 16 months, he was on TAF/Mek for 6 months, and he finally reached NED this September. His next scans are this December. We try to take life moment by moment. You have 2 very precious reasons to be so worried about all this you have been hit with and to process. Sounds like you are at a wonderful cancer hospital, and I will pray the Opdivo works for you. Enjoy your precious babies, and your Christmas. I am new to this site and I am so glad I found you all. 

Michele

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics