The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IPPI

Participant

Tomorrow i have my 2nd of 4  IPPI infusions.  I had zero side effects from the first infusion but i understand that is normal and the side effects start with 2 through 4.  I still have faith in my Oncologist that this is the right approach even though i was still responding to Zelboraf.

Tomorrow i have my 2nd of 4  IPPI infusions.  I had zero side effects from the first infusion but i understand that is normal and the side effects start with 2 through 4.  I still have faith in my Oncologist that this is the right approach even though i was still responding to Zelboraf.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant
          People’s side effects to Yervoy vary. I was lucky not to get anything significant at all, no GI problems. Good luck on your treatment.
          kylez
          Participant
            People’s side effects to Yervoy vary. I was lucky not to get anything significant at all, no GI problems. Good luck on your treatment.
            kylez
            Participant
              awillett1991
              Participant
                I don’t know if you started Ipi NED or not but I did this- and had aggressive growth in existing mets and fortunately only one new met. I finished Ipi 12/3. When I started Ipi 10/1 I was still responding to Zel also and was only off 3days. Before this my Mel had always been always been slow growing. You might want to push on your onc for scans before 12 wks. Just sayin.
                awillett1991
                Participant
                  I don’t know if you started Ipi NED or not but I did this- and had aggressive growth in existing mets and fortunately only one new met. I finished Ipi 12/3. When I started Ipi 10/1 I was still responding to Zel also and was only off 3days. Before this my Mel had always been always been slow growing. You might want to push on your onc for scans before 12 wks. Just sayin.
                  awillett1991
                  Participant
                    Gene_S
                    Participant

My husband had minor side effects of IPPI and some others have as well.  The side effects are as individualized as the response to the treatments, meaning everyone is different.

Good positive mental attitude (PMA) helps some also.  If you wish to read more about my husband his journey is on his profile so you can check it out.  He has been on Ippi for 2 years now and gets his next infusion on Mar. 8.  His clinical trial had a maintenance phase and that is what he is on since the  every 3 weeks for 12 weeks  at the start on Mar. of 2011.  He gets infusions every 12 weeks now.

Age and general health when you start these drugs plays a major component also.  He was 59 when he started and in good health.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)  NED (no evidence of disease)

NYKaren
                        Participant
                          When I recently saw my onc, he mentioned that the whole side-effect = response equation is in question. As for me, I had fairly significant side effects the first time I was on Ipi 2 years ago but only a short-lived response, then when we tried re-induction last spring/summer, I had severe side-effects and had to stop after 3rd infusion.
                          Everyone is different, most times side-effects start to show up after 2nd or 3rd infusion. The most important thing is for you to read the material they gave you and report any suspected side-effect to your onc immediately. It is especially important to report bowel changes (diarrhea).
                          Please let us know how you’re doing,
                          Karen
                          NYKaren
                          Participant
                            When I recently saw my onc, he mentioned that the whole side-effect = response equation is in question. As for me, I had fairly significant side effects the first time I was on Ipi 2 years ago but only a short-lived response, then when we tried re-induction last spring/summer, I had severe side-effects and had to stop after 3rd infusion.
                            Everyone is different, most times side-effects start to show up after 2nd or 3rd infusion. The most important thing is for you to read the material they gave you and report any suspected side-effect to your onc immediately. It is especially important to report bowel changes (diarrhea).
                            Karen
                            NYKaren
                            Participant
                              Karen
                              bigb0624
                              Participant

Thank you for sharing this with me. 

bigb0624
                                Participant

bigb0624
                                  Participant

Gene_S
                                  Participant

My husband had minor side effects of IPPI and some others have as well.  The side effects are as individualized as the response to the treatments, meaning everyone is different.

Good positive mental attitude (PMA) helps some also.  If you wish to read more about my husband his journey is on his profile so you can check it out.  He has been on Ippi for 2 years now and gets his next infusion on Mar. 8.  His clinical trial had a maintenance phase and that is what he is on since the  every 3 weeks for 12 weeks  at the start on Mar. of 2011.  He gets infusions every 12 weeks now.

Age and general health when you start these drugs plays a major component also.  He was 59 when he started and in good health.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

buffcody
                                      Participant

I had my fourth dose of ippi on January 2.  Side effects, which are very liveable, have continued till today, itching and rash.  I was fatigued especiallly for a week or so  after the infusions but not in any kind of debilitating way.  I did,  however, become mildly anemic according to my blood counts.  Dr. Judd Wolchok from Sloan-Kettering, one of the most important in the development of ippi therapy, stated a couple of weeks ago that he believes side effects and response are related in the sense that no side effect probably no response.  He said that the responses are not proportional though.  So a mild case of itching and rash such as I have had for three months qualifies as a response that COULD be a sign of it working.  I have always had a small tumor load, so it is difficult to say at this point if I am or not.

buffcody
                                        Participant

I had my fourth dose of ippi on January 2.  Side effects, which are very liveable, have continued till today, itching and rash.  I was fatigued especiallly for a week or so  after the infusions but not in any kind of debilitating way.  I did,  however, become mildly anemic according to my blood counts.  Dr. Judd Wolchok from Sloan-Kettering, one of the most important in the development of ippi therapy, stated a couple of weeks ago that he believes side effects and response are related in the sense that no side effect probably no response.  He said that the responses are not proportional though.  So a mild case of itching and rash such as I have had for three months qualifies as a response that COULD be a sign of it working.  I have always had a small tumor load, so it is difficult to say at this point if I am or not.

buffcody
                                          Participant

NYKaren
                                              Participant
                                                buffcody, you said it better than I did–he did say SEVERITY of side effects is not an indicator of response. It seems to me that most people on yervoy do have some side-effect and mild itching/rash/fatigue/diarrhea seem to be the most prevalent.
                                                Take care,
                                                Karen
                                                NYKaren
                                                Participant
                                                  buffcody, you said it better than I did–he did say SEVERITY of side effects is not an indicator of response. It seems to me that most people on yervoy do have some side-effect and mild itching/rash/fatigue/diarrhea seem to be the most prevalent.
                                                  Take care,
                                                  Karen
                                                  NYKaren
                                                  Participant
                                                    Take care,
                                                    Karen
                                                    bigb0624
                                                    Participant

Thank you for sharing this.

bigb0624
                                                      Participant

bigb0624
                                                        Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics