The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ipilimumab 10 mg/kg dosage – Side effects question

Forums General Melanoma Community ipilimumab 10 mg/kg dosage – Side effects question

Participant

Hi all.  My husband is starting a trial that will begin with 6 weeks of vem. followed by ipi every 3 weeks.  I noticed that the dosage of the ipi will be 10mg/kg and that the FDA approved dose is 3mg/kg.  I understand what the side effects are at the "standard" dosage but am wondering what we should expect at the 10mg/kg.  Should we expect the same side effect just more intense?  Should he prepare to be out of work during this time?  Is there anyone else here who has been on a trial at this dosage?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi all.  My husband is starting a trial that will begin with 6 weeks of vem. followed by ipi every 3 weeks.  I noticed that the dosage of the ipi will be 10mg/kg and that the FDA approved dose is 3mg/kg.  I understand what the side effects are at the "standard" dosage but am wondering what we should expect at the 10mg/kg.  Should we expect the same side effect just more intense?  Should he prepare to be out of work during this time?  Is there anyone else here who has been on a trial at this dosage?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Hello,

We were told that, when my husband started on this, it depends mostly on how your health is when you start and the stress.  He has been on the 10mg/kg for 2 years now.  He had the itching which was very intense at times and he is still itching on the maintenance phase of it and he is also getting injections of GMCSF for 14 days then 7 days off.  After the initial 4 doses every three weeks he has been getting a dose every 12 weeks.

He worked during the treatment until he had detached retina and then he was off for 1 year on sick leave as he had 5 eye surgeries and needed time to heal and was in a face down situation for a good deal of that year because of the retina.  If it hadn't have been for that he would have probably worked through it.

He had no diarrhea issues.  He was in good health otherwise and the oncology nurse told him he was more like the athlete then someone who was sickly.  He had lesions in the liver, lung and one unresectable as it was on the spine in the neck area and he had 4 sub q's as well.  We literally watched the sub q's shrink in the first 12 weeks and continue until they were all gone.  He is now NED (no evidence of disease) for about 6 months and is still receiving both of the drugs the same as when the clinical trial started.

So I wouldn't worry about the 10mg being any worse than the 3mg.  He started this clinical trial about 3 weeks before the drug was FDA approved at the 3 mg.  You need to concentrate on some outside factors such as your diet and also have your Vitamin D3 levels checked.  Sugar is the main item that needs to be eliminated from your diet.  Artificial sugar is really bad.  Meat and dairy digestions is also very hard for a cancer patient.  Try to drink as much good water as possible especially if you can locate some spring water.  

You can read more on his profile page if you wish.  Good luck and best wishes.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

joy_
            Participant

Judy, Thank you so much for your response.  It sounds like you both have been through so much, but I am encouraged to hear the Gene is doing well now!  I also really appreciate the nutritional advice.  We don't eat a lot of sugar or processed foods, but I keep telling my hubbie that we need to ELIMINATE it all and make more improvements so hopefully your advice will encourage him too.  Love your tag line too.  We tell ourselves each day that it is a good day and try to enjoy each one as best as possible!

Blessings!

joy_
              Participant

Judy, Thank you so much for your response.  It sounds like you both have been through so much, but I am encouraged to hear the Gene is doing well now!  I also really appreciate the nutritional advice.  We don't eat a lot of sugar or processed foods, but I keep telling my hubbie that we need to ELIMINATE it all and make more improvements so hopefully your advice will encourage him too.  Love your tag line too.  We tell ourselves each day that it is a good day and try to enjoy each one as best as possible!

Blessings!

joy_
                Participant

Blessings!

Gene_S
                Participant

Hello,

We were told that, when my husband started on this, it depends mostly on how your health is when you start and the stress.  He has been on the 10mg/kg for 2 years now.  He had the itching which was very intense at times and he is still itching on the maintenance phase of it and he is also getting injections of GMCSF for 14 days then 7 days off.  After the initial 4 doses every three weeks he has been getting a dose every 12 weeks.

He worked during the treatment until he had detached retina and then he was off for 1 year on sick leave as he had 5 eye surgeries and needed time to heal and was in a face down situation for a good deal of that year because of the retina.  If it hadn't have been for that he would have probably worked through it.

He had no diarrhea issues.  He was in good health otherwise and the oncology nurse told him he was more like the athlete then someone who was sickly.  He had lesions in the liver, lung and one unresectable as it was on the spine in the neck area and he had 4 sub q's as well.  We literally watched the sub q's shrink in the first 12 weeks and continue until they were all gone.  He is now NED (no evidence of disease) for about 6 months and is still receiving both of the drugs the same as when the clinical trial started.

So I wouldn't worry about the 10mg being any worse than the 3mg.  He started this clinical trial about 3 weeks before the drug was FDA approved at the 3 mg.  You need to concentrate on some outside factors such as your diet and also have your Vitamin D3 levels checked.  Sugar is the main item that needs to be eliminated from your diet.  Artificial sugar is really bad.  Meat and dairy digestions is also very hard for a cancer patient.  Try to drink as much good water as possible especially if you can locate some spring water.  

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hello,

kylez
                    Participant

At one point I went for a second opinion (and attempt to get into a TIL trial) at MD Anderson, after finishing up a standard FDA approved IPI schedule (4 doses at 3 mg/kg, each 3 weeks apart). For what it's worth, the MDA oncologist said to keep a lookout for any IPI trials at the higher 10 mg/kg dosage, because IPI seemed to bit more effective at those levels.

I hadn't had any major side effects at the lower dose, which may have been part of her reasoning. But I haven't had progression since, so far, so I haven't had to follow her up on her advice to this point.

Congratulations for getting INTO a trial, and I hope it proves effective and without major side effects. I'm sure as a clinical trial site they'll be immediately on top of symptoms that occur, and they'll tell your husband to be on top of any symptoms as well, especially to report any GI / diarrhea symptoms if they do occur, even seemingly mild ones, right away. That's the IPI side anyway, I don't know what they'll say for the VER side. 

Good luck to your husband on the IPI/ver trial, and let us know how it's going.

– Kyle

kylez
                      Participant

At one point I went for a second opinion (and attempt to get into a TIL trial) at MD Anderson, after finishing up a standard FDA approved IPI schedule (4 doses at 3 mg/kg, each 3 weeks apart). For what it's worth, the MDA oncologist said to keep a lookout for any IPI trials at the higher 10 mg/kg dosage, because IPI seemed to bit more effective at those levels.

I hadn't had any major side effects at the lower dose, which may have been part of her reasoning. But I haven't had progression since, so far, so I haven't had to follow her up on her advice to this point.

Congratulations for getting INTO a trial, and I hope it proves effective and without major side effects. I'm sure as a clinical trial site they'll be immediately on top of symptoms that occur, and they'll tell your husband to be on top of any symptoms as well, especially to report any GI / diarrhea symptoms if they do occur, even seemingly mild ones, right away. That's the IPI side anyway, I don't know what they'll say for the VER side. 

– Kyle

kylez
                        Participant

– Kyle

Rocco
                          Participant

I was on the MDX-010 (ipi 10 mg/kg)  trial a few years ago –  before the FDA approved Yervoy at the 3 mg/kg dose.  I had some autoimmune issues (thyroid = turned into eye issues), but they were eventually cleared up with some high dose steroids.  .. I had a complete response and have been NED since that maintenance dose almost 4 years ago.   My symptoms while on the drug included only a very faint rash on my upper back – that's it.  I had some VERY rare – like no one else one the trial had this – auto-immune issue with my eyes (Graves disease without the thryoid issues).  Recently I was diagnosed with Graves disease (hyper-thryoid issues).  Our best guess is that Ipi or not I would have likely gotten Graves. 

My best to you and your husband. 

Rocco, Stage IV in 2005, Ipi responder, NED

Rocco
                            Participant

I was on the MDX-010 (ipi 10 mg/kg)  trial a few years ago –  before the FDA approved Yervoy at the 3 mg/kg dose.  I had some autoimmune issues (thyroid = turned into eye issues), but they were eventually cleared up with some high dose steroids.  .. I had a complete response and have been NED since that maintenance dose almost 4 years ago.   My symptoms while on the drug included only a very faint rash on my upper back – that's it.  I had some VERY rare – like no one else one the trial had this – auto-immune issue with my eyes (Graves disease without the thryoid issues).  Recently I was diagnosed with Graves disease (hyper-thryoid issues).  Our best guess is that Ipi or not I would have likely gotten Graves. 

Rocco
                              Participant

mdewees
                                  Participant

Hi Luke, I am very interested in your story and any info you can share.  I was diagnosed with this same rare side effect (Graves Disease of the eyes yesterday at PENN).  I am in a clinical trial (Stage 3B) and got assigned to high dose 10mg/kg and decompensated quickly after 3rd dose.  Was hospitalized for severe headaches and vomitting (along with eye pain and mild swlling which was originally diagnosed as sceritis) and they found that my Pituitary Glad was swollen.  Cortizol dropped to 2 and mild hypothyroidism and slightly low sodium level.  Was put on high dose steroids but when they tried to taper headaches increased and eyes got really bad (bulging from head and lost ability to tack and move eye muscles).  No one seemed to be able to figure out what was going on.  Had an amazing day at PENN yesterday (there from 8am-9:30 pm where they worked in conjunction with a Endochronologist and and Neurooptomologist and did a full workup) – It feels so good to finally have a diagnosis, however I am nervous because although they have treated 12 patients with the Pituitary/Thyroid response I am the first to be diagnosed with Graves's eye disease.  Any feedback or resources would be so appreciated!!!!!

Thanks so much!

Melissa

mdewees
                                    Participant

Hi Luke, I am very interested in your story and any info you can share.  I was diagnosed with this same rare side effect (Graves Disease of the eyes yesterday at PENN).  I am in a clinical trial (Stage 3B) and got assigned to high dose 10mg/kg and decompensated quickly after 3rd dose.  Was hospitalized for severe headaches and vomitting (along with eye pain and mild swlling which was originally diagnosed as sceritis) and they found that my Pituitary Glad was swollen.  Cortizol dropped to 2 and mild hypothyroidism and slightly low sodium level.  Was put on high dose steroids but when they tried to taper headaches increased and eyes got really bad (bulging from head and lost ability to tack and move eye muscles).  No one seemed to be able to figure out what was going on.  Had an amazing day at PENN yesterday (there from 8am-9:30 pm where they worked in conjunction with a Endochronologist and and Neurooptomologist and did a full workup) – It feels so good to finally have a diagnosis, however I am nervous because although they have treated 12 patients with the Pituitary/Thyroid response I am the first to be diagnosed with Graves's eye disease.  Any feedback or resources would be so appreciated!!!!!

Thanks so much!

Melissa

mdewees
                                      Participant

Thanks so much!

Melissa

Rocco
                                      Participant

Rocco
                                        Participant

Rocco
                                          Participant

Rocco
                                            Participant

Rocco
                                              Participant

mdewees
                                                  Participant

Hi Rocco, I am so interested in anything you can share because I was diagnosed with same rare side effect.  I am the only person on this trial to have this side effect and the doctors are struggling because there are only about 3 cases documented, one of which is yours.  They actually just closed the arm of the clinical trial I was on (high dose IPI for Stage 3B patients based on my reported side effects 3 days ago).  I am receiving treatment at PENN.  Was originally diagnosed with swelling of the pituitary gland and scleritis – also given topical drops but had 1 day IV and then oral steroids for pituitary gland.  Eyes improved for 3 days but then got really bad especially as they tapered to 60mg prednisone.  Got put back on 1G IV for 3 days and now on 100mg prednisone.  Swelling and pain decreased but still major issues with double vision and vertigo / continue to have Grave's like response (can only see if I patch left eye and that really only works when I am still – when up and about I still get dizzy even with eye patched),  but do not test positive for Grave's antibodies (pituitary gland seems to have resolved).  All Thyroid tests are within normal limits now accept TSH and TRAB which are low – I am also on 100mg of synthroid.  I was just hospitalized 3 days ago for left side facial and neck numbing / decreased sensitivity.  They are trying to determine if related to Grave's or if this is a new symptom related to neuropathy.  

Your story is inspiring!  It looks like it has been a long road but I would be so interested in anything you can share about your treatment, doctors that were knowledgeable or helpful, how you coped – any resources.  I am only 39 years old with 2 young girls and an amazing husband so I am very eager to do whatever it takes to work through this!

Thanks so much!

Melissa   

mdewees
                                                    Participant

Hi Rocco, I am so interested in anything you can share because I was diagnosed with same rare side effect.  I am the only person on this trial to have this side effect and the doctors are struggling because there are only about 3 cases documented, one of which is yours.  They actually just closed the arm of the clinical trial I was on (high dose IPI for Stage 3B patients based on my reported side effects 3 days ago).  I am receiving treatment at PENN.  Was originally diagnosed with swelling of the pituitary gland and scleritis – also given topical drops but had 1 day IV and then oral steroids for pituitary gland.  Eyes improved for 3 days but then got really bad especially as they tapered to 60mg prednisone.  Got put back on 1G IV for 3 days and now on 100mg prednisone.  Swelling and pain decreased but still major issues with double vision and vertigo / continue to have Grave's like response (can only see if I patch left eye and that really only works when I am still – when up and about I still get dizzy even with eye patched),  but do not test positive for Grave's antibodies (pituitary gland seems to have resolved).  All Thyroid tests are within normal limits now accept TSH and TRAB which are low – I am also on 100mg of synthroid.  I was just hospitalized 3 days ago for left side facial and neck numbing / decreased sensitivity.  They are trying to determine if related to Grave's or if this is a new symptom related to neuropathy.  

Your story is inspiring!  It looks like it has been a long road but I would be so interested in anything you can share about your treatment, doctors that were knowledgeable or helpful, how you coped – any resources.  I am only 39 years old with 2 young girls and an amazing husband so I am very eager to do whatever it takes to work through this!

Thanks so much!

Melissa   

mdewees
                                                      Participant

Thanks so much!

Melissa   

Rocco
                                                      Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics