The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IPI vs Interferon Clinic Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community IPI vs Interferon Clinic Trial

Participant

I am stage lll, NED after surgery .  A clinical trial was just brought to my attention by my surgical Oncologist yesterday.  There are three options available to me as I am considered high risk.  A clinical trial,. Interferon or watch and wait.

I am stage lll, NED after surgery .  A clinical trial was just brought to my attention by my surgical Oncologist yesterday.  There are three options available to me as I am considered high risk.  A clinical trial,. Interferon or watch and wait.

The trial has 3 arms consisting of a) standard interferon treatment.   B) high dose ipi.  C) low dose ipi.  The aim is to see if the ipi with high risk would be better than interferon at delaying recurrence and/or stopping progression.   My Oncologist even said the words "could be a cure for those at this stage"

here is the trial http://cancer.osu.edu/patientsandvisitors/cancerinfo/clinical_trials/Pages/trials.aspx.  I am fortunate to have my doctors activily involved in these trials.  This trial is being held nation wide.  On the Page pick melanoma, next Page choose the second trial ECOG-E1609, Dr Kendra.

Any thoughts?

Colleen 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

I have 2 questions: 1) Is your tumor BRAF positive? 2) I know that Ipi is FDA approved for Stage IV, is it available for Stage III? 

POW
          Participant

I have 2 questions: 1) Is your tumor BRAF positive? 2) I know that Ipi is FDA approved for Stage IV, is it available for Stage III? 

Colleen66
              Participant

I have tissue saved to have the BRAF testing when necessary.   And Yes, they are taking stage 3 people who are NED from surgery only, and are "high risk" .  I was really happy to hear this because I thought it was reserved for stage 4. 

DeniseK
                Participant
                  There are a lot of trials for stage 3, if I had it all over to do again I would have gone into a trial. I did interferon but only lasted 13 of the high dose infusions. I’ve read that they are trying to stop disease before progression after surgery and ipi is one of those drugs they’re looking at. Ipi doesn’t have the side effects like interferon and since its approved and used in stage 4 I would go for it!! There’s also the BRAF and MEK inhibitor trials that are looking at stage 3 patients to enroll.
                  Wishing you the best!
                  mel123
                  Participant

I'm in this trial and was fortunate enough to get the low dose ipi, so far I've had 2 infusions and zero side effects. I was extremely stressed out until I was registered for the trial and randomized into a category, because I can't stand not knowing, but melanoma in itself is a lesson that we can't control everything ๐Ÿ™‚ This is your decision and your decision only, but if you were already willing to do interferon, I would say that the trial is worth a shot! I hope that one day soon ipi will be available at an earlier stage, without the gamble of a clinical trial.

Good luck!

mel123
                    Participant

I'm in this trial and was fortunate enough to get the low dose ipi, so far I've had 2 infusions and zero side effects. I was extremely stressed out until I was registered for the trial and randomized into a category, because I can't stand not knowing, but melanoma in itself is a lesson that we can't control everything ๐Ÿ™‚ This is your decision and your decision only, but if you were already willing to do interferon, I would say that the trial is worth a shot! I hope that one day soon ipi will be available at an earlier stage, without the gamble of a clinical trial.

Good luck!

mel123
                      Participant

Good luck!

Mandi0280
                        Participant

I just wanted to clear this up when you say that ipi doesn't have the side effects that interferon has. My husband was on the ipi/interferon trial and recieved the high does ipi ( at the time the low dose ipi wasn't part of the trial). After dose number 2 my husband was taken to the ER in severe pain. He had very bad colitis (early studies of ipi show that some people died of colitis that were taking ipi). He lost 40 pounds, could not keep food or any liquids down and was hospitalized for 6 days.He had fever, chills, and body aches even after the first dose. Now, with that being said, every person is different and can have diff side effects and some ppl may experience very little side effects.  I think ipi is a very good thing for melanoma and i think this is a good trial. I just wanted to clear that up about it having less or fewer side effects than interferon because it can have just as many if not more severe side effects. My husband has also taken interferon as well.

Mandi

Mandi0280
                          Participant

I just wanted to clear this up when you say that ipi doesn't have the side effects that interferon has. My husband was on the ipi/interferon trial and recieved the high does ipi ( at the time the low dose ipi wasn't part of the trial). After dose number 2 my husband was taken to the ER in severe pain. He had very bad colitis (early studies of ipi show that some people died of colitis that were taking ipi). He lost 40 pounds, could not keep food or any liquids down and was hospitalized for 6 days.He had fever, chills, and body aches even after the first dose. Now, with that being said, every person is different and can have diff side effects and some ppl may experience very little side effects.  I think ipi is a very good thing for melanoma and i think this is a good trial. I just wanted to clear that up about it having less or fewer side effects than interferon because it can have just as many if not more severe side effects. My husband has also taken interferon as well.

Mandi

Mandi0280
                            Participant

Mandi

Mandi0280
                              Participant

Mandi

Mandi0280
                                Participant

Mandi

Mandi0280
                                  Participant

Mandi

DeniseK
                                    Participant
                                      There are a lot of trials for stage 3, if I had it all over to do again I would have gone into a trial. I did interferon but only lasted 13 of the high dose infusions. I’ve read that they are trying to stop disease before progression after surgery and ipi is one of those drugs they’re looking at. Ipi doesn’t have the side effects like interferon and since its approved and used in stage 4 I would go for it!! There’s also the BRAF and MEK inhibitor trials that are looking at stage 3 patients to enroll.
                                      Wishing you the best!
                                      DeniseK
                                      Participant
                                        Wishing you the best!
                                        Colleen66
                                        Participant

I have tissue saved to have the BRAF testing when necessary.   And Yes, they are taking stage 3 people who are NED from surgery only, and are "high risk" .  I was really happy to hear this because I thought it was reserved for stage 4. 

Colleen66
                                          Participant

POW
                                          Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics