The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi Swelling and Pain

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi Swelling and Pain

Participant

Hello Everyone,

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me.  I just had my second infusion of Ipi on Thursday July 25th.  Saturday I woke up with the worst pain in my arm just around the sub q on my forearm.  It feels like someone is stabbing me in my arm.  My chest also feels heavy and more back and chest pain than normal.  The sub q on my arm appears to be getting larger as well.  I looked and looked and I could have sworn that this might be normal and a sign that it's working??  I don't know what to do?  Should I call my doctor? I don't think I have much room for growth with my mets and it's scaring the (bleep) out of me.

Thanks for your help

Denise

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ecc26
        Participant

Hi Denise,

I just got my third dose on Friday.

Regarding the arm subQ- I've had a handful of my subQ's get inflamed (the skin even turns red over the top, or bruises) and they can be quite painful. They also seem to suddenly get bigger (up to twice their size). For each one it lasted a couple of days (2-4), then they shrink down over the next week or so. None of mine have completely gone away, but the ones this happened to are much smaller. I would take that as a good sign (for now).

I don't know what to tell you about the chest and back pain- that I would call your doctor about and at least report your symptoms (including the subQ stuff, they should know everything that's going on). If your doctors are anything like mine they will get back to you quickly (within the day) and tell you whether they are concerned enough to want to see you (or have you seen somewhere) or if it's ok. Do you have lung/back mets? Is it possible those are inflamed like the one on your arm and that's where the pain is coming from? I'd still call tomorrow (Monday) and check in with your doctor(s).

I'm not convinced I'm going to get a very good response from Ipi- i've found a couple new subQ's lately. I've got an MRI coming up this week and I'm hoping for some good news there. 

Talk to your doctors and try not to worry until they tell you it's time to worry- Ipi can take some time to kick in (one of the things I find so scarry about being on it) so try to be patient. I hope they can ease your mind some, and wish you the best of luck.

-Eva

ecc26
          Participant

Hi Denise,

Regarding the arm subQ- I've had a handful of my subQ's get inflamed (the skin even turns red over the top, or bruises) and they can be quite painful. They also seem to suddenly get bigger (up to twice their size). For each one it lasted a couple of days (2-4), then they shrink down over the next week or so. None of mine have completely gone away, but the ones this happened to are much smaller. I would take that as a good sign (for now).

I don't know what to tell you about the chest and back pain- that I would call your doctor about and at least report your symptoms (including the subQ stuff, they should know everything that's going on). If your doctors are anything like mine they will get back to you quickly (within the day) and tell you whether they are concerned enough to want to see you (or have you seen somewhere) or if it's ok. Do you have lung/back mets? Is it possible those are inflamed like the one on your arm and that's where the pain is coming from? I'd still call tomorrow (Monday) and check in with your doctor(s).

I'm not convinced I'm going to get a very good response from Ipi- i've found a couple new subQ's lately. I've got an MRI coming up this week and I'm hoping for some good news there. 

Talk to your doctors and try not to worry until they tell you it's time to worry- Ipi can take some time to kick in (one of the things I find so scarry about being on it) so try to be patient. I hope they can ease your mind some, and wish you the best of luck.

-Eva

ecc26
            Participant

Hi Denise,

-Eva

DeniseK
              Participant

Thanks Eva,

Yes I have lung mets.  I've had some scary sharp pains but I heard that the mets will get inflammed before they shrink because it has something to do with your T Cells and stuff going to work releasing some IL chemicals to attack the tumors.  I'm taking this as a good sign just hoping my brain mets have not grown.  I'm getting an MRI on Thursday and at this point I'm considered stable but if there's growth I need to start my 8 weeks all over again,  Aaarrghh!  I'm staying hopeful that the Ipi is working but sometimes the side effects of the drugs make me wonder if it's the cancer or medicine.  I don't have any new sub q's as of yet but I heard that can happen as well.  

It makes me feel better that it will only last a couple of days.  Thanks for your help Eva, all mu best to you too.

Denise

POW
                Participant

Hi, Denise-

How are you doing with your pain? Is it subsiding? Did you talk to your doctor about it?

DeniseK
                    Participant

Thanks Eva,

Yes I have lung mets.  I've had some scary sharp pains but I heard that the mets will get inflammed before they shrink because it has something to do with your T Cells and stuff going to work releasing some IL chemicals to attack the tumors.  I'm taking this as a good sign just hoping my brain mets have not grown.  I'm getting an MRI on Thursday and at this point I'm considered stable but if there's growth I need to start my 8 weeks all over again,  Aaarrghh!  I'm staying hopeful that the Ipi is working but sometimes the side effects of the drugs make me wonder if it's the cancer or medicine.  I don't have any new sub q's as of yet but I heard that can happen as well.  

It makes me feel better that it will only last a couple of days.  Thanks for your help Eva, all mu best to you too.

Denise

DeniseK
                      Participant

Thanks Eva,

Denise

DeniseK
                      Participant

Hi Pat,

The pain is subsiding, although it's still painful and swollen.  Today is day 4 of the swelling so I'm hoping it will also start disolving the tumors.  I'm worried that my brain tumors have also swollen and when I go in for Gamma Knife Thursday the MRI will show growth.  I need to keep my brain stable so this is my only worry at this point.

Thanks for asking Pat. ๐Ÿ™‚

Denise

POW
                        Participant

Hi, Denise-

How are you doing with your pain? Is it subsiding? Did you talk to your doctor about it?

POW
                          Participant

Hi, Denise-

DeniseK
                            Participant

Hi Pat,

The pain is subsiding, although it's still painful and swollen.  Today is day 4 of the swelling so I'm hoping it will also start disolving the tumors.  I'm worried that my brain tumors have also swollen and when I go in for Gamma Knife Thursday the MRI will show growth.  I need to keep my brain stable so this is my only worry at this point.

Denise

DeniseK
                              Participant

Hi Pat,

Denise

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics