The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ipi responders – what now??

Forums General Melanoma Community ipi responders – what now??

Participant

Hi, our oncologist from Toronto spoke to me on the phone on Tuesday about Derek's ipi response on Wednesday, so we haven't actually seen him.  Last night he emailed and is suggesting scans in 3 months – is this reasonable – what are others doing?

Specifics:

Last ipi treatment was Aug 10, scans done at 3 weeks – no response, and then at 7 or 8 weeks and there was a response (1 tumour stable, several decreased in size by 50%, and other smaller ones had disappeared).

Hi, our oncologist from Toronto spoke to me on the phone on Tuesday about Derek's ipi response on Wednesday, so we haven't actually seen him.  Last night he emailed and is suggesting scans in 3 months – is this reasonable – what are others doing?

Specifics:

Last ipi treatment was Aug 10, scans done at 3 weeks – no response, and then at 7 or 8 weeks and there was a response (1 tumour stable, several decreased in size by 50%, and other smaller ones had disappeared).

Thank you so much for your responses and I am hoping so many of you on ipi now have the same good news.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mombase
        Participant

Hi, Terra,

I think another month (and longer, if he is still responding) is very reasonable. It sounds like Derek is doing well! My onc said that I might not even see a response for three months after the final infusion. I just think that no matter what, we have to stay vigilant, because this stooooopid disease has a mind of its own!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
          Participant

Hi, Terra,

I think another month (and longer, if he is still responding) is very reasonable. It sounds like Derek is doing well! My onc said that I might not even see a response for three months after the final infusion. I just think that no matter what, we have to stay vigilant, because this stooooopid disease has a mind of its own!

Cristy, Stage IV

Terra
              Participant

I have read previous posts about ipi responders taking maintenance doses or being reintroduced to the treatment.  Anyone doing on of these now?

melissa ann
                Participant

Hi Terra, That is exactly what we are doing.  @ week scans showed a some shrikage in my husbands 2 "spots."  We are waitning 3 months to scan again.  I am hoping that we can then be reintroduced to ipi or some maintenance doses.  It heops knowing that we are not the only ones in this exact place!  Peace to you…Melissa

Lisa13
                  Participant

Hi Terra,

Your husband and I share the same oncologist and I'm due for my scans on Hallowe'en.

He told me that his compassionate trial of ipi does not include maintenance shots and I don't believe it's offered in Canada either. However, he did tell me that if it works and someone reoccurs again, then ipi can be reintroduced – so that is great news if it ever happens.

Hopefully your husband with continue to watch his tumours shrink and you won't have to re-use this drug anytime soon

I'm so happy for you!

Lisa

Lisa13
                    Participant

Hi Terra,

Your husband and I share the same oncologist and I'm due for my scans on Hallowe'en.

He told me that his compassionate trial of ipi does not include maintenance shots and I don't believe it's offered in Canada either. However, he did tell me that if it works and someone reoccurs again, then ipi can be reintroduced – so that is great news if it ever happens.

Hopefully your husband with continue to watch his tumours shrink and you won't have to re-use this drug anytime soon

I'm so happy for you!

Lisa

Lisa13
                      Participant

Hi Terra,

I'm so happy for you!

Lisa

melissa ann
                        Participant

Hi Terra, That is exactly what we are doing.  @ week scans showed a some shrikage in my husbands 2 "spots."  We are waitning 3 months to scan again.  I am hoping that we can then be reintroduced to ipi or some maintenance doses.  It heops knowing that we are not the only ones in this exact place!  Peace to you…Melissa

melissa ann
                          Participant

Gene_S
                            Participant

My husband started in an Ipi trial on March 4 and took the 4 doses every three weeks.  The scans showed shrinkage.  Every 12 weeks he gets another dose of the Ipi as the maintenance part of the trial.  The scans in Aug. showed a 56% shrinkage and now the scans move down to every 6 weeks since he is above the 50%.  He just had Ipi on Friday and goes for scans in 3 weeks.  We were told the Ipi will be administerd until he is NED or stops them himself.  He is on the Ipi 10 mg/kg and also GM-CSF arm of the trial.  The other arm was just Ipi.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene)

Gene_S
                              Participant

My husband started in an Ipi trial on March 4 and took the 4 doses every three weeks.  The scans showed shrinkage.  Every 12 weeks he gets another dose of the Ipi as the maintenance part of the trial.  The scans in Aug. showed a 56% shrinkage and now the scans move down to every 6 weeks since he is above the 50%.  He just had Ipi on Friday and goes for scans in 3 weeks.  We were told the Ipi will be administerd until he is NED or stops them himself.  He is on the Ipi 10 mg/kg and also GM-CSF arm of the trial.  The other arm was just Ipi.

Gene_S
                                Participant

Terra
                                  Participant

I have read previous posts about ipi responders taking maintenance doses or being reintroduced to the treatment.  Anyone doing on of these now?

Terra
                                    Participant

mombase
                                    Participant

Hi, Terra,

Cristy, Stage IV

jim Breitfeller
                                      Participant

Terra,

Derek's Immune sytem is now building up an army of Cytotoxic T-cells to destroy the tumors. This army is going to need some food (Growth factor) to keep fighting. Derek's may be able to produce this growth factor (IL-2) on it s own.

If the the shrinkage stopes before all the tumors are eradicated, he may want to reintroduce Yervoy and or HD IL-2.

The Shrinkage can sometimes take over 200 days to fully eradicated the tumors.

Why Does Yervoy need to be systematically combined with IL-2?

Yervoy therapy acts upon the T-cells by blocking the CTLA-4 receptor, making it unable to engage. By doing this blockade, the CD28/B7 complex can engage and the signaling to activate, secrete and multiply is allowed. Cytokines produced by activated cells can stimulate or inhibit the production of other cytokines by the same cells in an autocrine manner or those present in the vicinity by a paracrine mechanism. Thus, a complex network of cell interactions is established, with positive and negative feedback controls, regulating cytokine production. For example,

TNF-a induces the synthesis of both IL-1 and IL-6 in macrophages. In contrast, IL-10, which is also synthesized by macrophages, inhibits the synthesis of TNF-a, IL-1 and IL-6. Both IFN-g and TNF-a can activate macrophages, which subsequently synthesize TNF-a and IL-1. What I am trying to elude to is that depending on the microenvironment which contains many cytokines, the pattern of cytokines matters whether the macrophages are activated or not.

This does not take into account the suppressiveness of the Tumor’s activity. Melanoma tumors can secrete TGF-b and IL-10 and other suppressive molecules. These suppressive cytokines (IL-10) can block the activation of the tumor associated macrophages (TAMs) which in turn inhibits the secretion of other cytokines and chemoattractants into the Tumor’s microenvironment. This inhibition suppresses the “Danger Signal” needed to alarm the immune system of foreign invaders (Tumor cells).

Th1 cells promote macrophage activation by producing IL-2 and IFN-g. What if the Th1 cells are not producing enough or there are many Tregs in the tumor’s microenvironment recruited by the tumors themselves? The Tregs, Th1 and the CD8+ T-cells are all competing for the IL-2 for survival. There could be a shortage of IL-2 to satisfy all the cells leading to a less than robust response. It has been greatly accepted that macrophage activation by IL-2 is essential for tumor regression. et al Masztalerz

So administration of HD IL-2 during the peak propagation of the (ALC) Absolute Lymphocyte Count (7 weeks or 49 days) may be synergetic to Yervoy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hl7Snd8iE3A/TqBDYgqmIxI/AAAAAAAAAj8/oDmmdNOY3EA/s1600/IL-2%2Bis%2Bneed%2Bfor%2BMacrophage%2Bactivation%2B10-20-2011.jpg

Congrats on the Derek's immune response.

Warm regards,

Jimmy B

Melanoma Missionary

jim Breitfeller
                                        Participant

Terra,

Derek's Immune sytem is now building up an army of Cytotoxic T-cells to destroy the tumors. This army is going to need some food (Growth factor) to keep fighting. Derek's may be able to produce this growth factor (IL-2) on it s own.

If the the shrinkage stopes before all the tumors are eradicated, he may want to reintroduce Yervoy and or HD IL-2.

Yervoy therapy acts upon the T-cells by blocking the CTLA-4 receptor, making it unable to engage. By doing this blockade, the CD28/B7 complex can engage and the signaling to activate, secrete and multiply is allowed. Cytokines produced by activated cells can stimulate or inhibit the production of other cytokines by the same cells in an autocrine manner or those present in the vicinity by a paracrine mechanism. Thus, a complex network of cell interactions is established, with positive and negative feedback controls, regulating cytokine production. For example,

TNF-a induces the synthesis of both IL-1 and IL-6 in macrophages. In contrast, IL-10, which is also synthesized by macrophages, inhibits the synthesis of TNF-a, IL-1 and IL-6. Both IFN-g and TNF-a can activate macrophages, which subsequently synthesize TNF-a and IL-1. What I am trying to elude to is that depending on the microenvironment which contains many cytokines, the pattern of cytokines matters whether the macrophages are activated or not.

This does not take into account the suppressiveness of the Tumor’s activity. Melanoma tumors can secrete TGF-b and IL-10 and other suppressive molecules. These suppressive cytokines (IL-10) can block the activation of the tumor associated macrophages (TAMs) which in turn inhibits the secretion of other cytokines and chemoattractants into the Tumor’s microenvironment. This inhibition suppresses the “Danger Signal” needed to alarm the immune system of foreign invaders (Tumor cells).

Th1 cells promote macrophage activation by producing IL-2 and IFN-g. What if the Th1 cells are not producing enough or there are many Tregs in the tumor’s microenvironment recruited by the tumors themselves? The Tregs, Th1 and the CD8+ T-cells are all competing for the IL-2 for survival. There could be a shortage of IL-2 to satisfy all the cells leading to a less than robust response. It has been greatly accepted that macrophage activation by IL-2 is essential for tumor regression. et al Masztalerz

So administration of HD IL-2 during the peak propagation of the (ALC) Absolute Lymphocyte Count (7 weeks or 49 days) may be synergetic to Yervoy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hl7Snd8iE3A/TqBDYgqmIxI/AAAAAAAAAj8/oDmmdNOY3EA/s1600/IL-2%2Bis%2Bneed%2Bfor%2BMacrophage%2Bactivation%2B10-20-2011.jpg

Warm regards,

Jimmy B

Melanoma Missionary

jim Breitfeller
                                          Participant

Terra,

Warm regards,

Jimmy B

Melanoma Missionary

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics