The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IPI or IL-2 or BioChemo??

Forums General Melanoma Community IPI or IL-2 or BioChemo??

Participant

Hi all,

So my husband has been on the PLX 4032 (BRAF inhibitor) trial since the end of March and it's already stopped working. We knew there was a good chance of this as he had been on the P13k/MEK trial before this one and the doctors were'nt sure if that would reduce the efficancy of PLX.

So now we're on to next steps….. pretty sure our choices will be Yervoy ( IPI) , IL-2 or Bio chemo. Wondering what you all think and if you had the choice which one would you do?

Hi all,

So my husband has been on the PLX 4032 (BRAF inhibitor) trial since the end of March and it's already stopped working. We knew there was a good chance of this as he had been on the P13k/MEK trial before this one and the doctors were'nt sure if that would reduce the efficancy of PLX.

So now we're on to next steps….. pretty sure our choices will be Yervoy ( IPI) , IL-2 or Bio chemo. Wondering what you all think and if you had the choice which one would you do?

My husband is Stage IV since May 2010 and has multiple bone mets, 2 or 3 soft tissue tumours and 1 lung nodule ( 7mm). He's also 39 yrs old, and still working part time….

Any way , would love to hear your thoughts…

thanks,

Emily

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

This is a very personalized disease. So I can give you my answers from my own scenario, subtype and sites, and see if they make sense for your husband's situation.

I was given choice of IL2 or Biochemo last year I chose IL-2. Different oncolgists have very different opinions on biochemo. Both my oncs recommended IL-2 as a something to try, whereas only one recommended biochemo, the other advised against. IL2 worked on my small lung mets. IL2 (and IPI) are percentage plays for sure.

My melanoma subtype is sun-damaged, not BRAF. Now that IPI is on the scene, that's something my oncs are considering as something else I should consider trying as a systemtic treatment since it shows some activity in the brain, which is where my current metastatic activity is, whereas IL-2 apparently doesn't do much in the brain.

One of my friends is in the process of getting onto the MDX-1106 trial. Think IPI, it's also an anti-PD1 drug (and it's the same company), but with less toxic side effect profile. Doing IPI first would rule out MDX-1106 trial, but doing MDX-1106 first, it could still be possible to try IPI afterwards since it's approved.

There may be other interesting trials too. He might qualify for some of the TIL/Adoptive Cell Transfer trials, that would be something to look into too at Moffitt and NCI.

LynnLuc
            Participant

I am not a wiz or anything, but I have done two 12 weeks of the Anti PD 1 vaccine trial at Moffitt receiving it along with 6 peptide injections every other week. I now receive a booster of the anti- PD 1 ( formally known as MDX 1106- now known as BMS-936558).  Both Yervoy ( Ipi) and BMS-936558 are monoclonal antibodies, but BOTH are not Anti PD-1.

IPI  (Yervoy) blocks CTLA-4 ( its long name is cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen.
              CTLA- 4 is thought to turn off or slow down the immune system allowing melanoma to grow instead of fighting it off. Ipi may work by allowing the body’s immune system to recognize, target, and attack cells in melanoma tumors. 

Anti-PD-1 human monoclonal antibody MDX-1106, can block tumor growth in different ways. It can block the ability of tumor cells to grow and spread. Others find tumor cells and help kill them or carry tumor-killing substances to them. Cancer.gov defines it as "A fully human monoclonal antibody directed against the negative immunoregulatory human cell surface receptor PD-1 (programmed death-1 or programmed cell death-1/PCD-1) with immunopotentiation activity. Anti-PD-1 human monoclonal antibody MDX-1106 binds to and blocks the activation of PD-1, an Ig superfamily transmembrane protein, by its ligands PD-L1 and PD-L2, resulting in the activation of T-cells and cell-mediated immune responses against tumor cells or pathogens. Activated PD-1 negatively regulates T-cell activation and effector function through the suppression of P13k/Akt pathway activation."

I am staged 4 melanoma NED for 14 plus months.  Diagnosed stage 4 June 18, 2009.
              NED since March 26, 2010.
              kylez
              Participant

I'm not a wiz or anything 🙂 thanks for correction Lynn. OK, IPI = anti-CTLA4, MDX-1106 = anti-PD1.

What are your impressions of the Moffitt trial you're on — sounds like the adjuvant stage IV treatment trial with MDX-1106 and peptide vaccines? I actually requested the consent form from Moffitt as it's one of the few I might be able to qualify for. Except I got treated for new brain mets last week (surgery) so I need to achieve stability first again.

i'm very interested in your thoughts on the adjuvant MDX-1106 trial, and on what you think of the MDX-1106 part of it vs. the vaccine parts of it.

– Kyle

kylez
                Participant

I'm not a wiz or anything 🙂 thanks for correction Lynn. OK, IPI = anti-CTLA4, MDX-1106 = anti-PD1.

What are your impressions of the Moffitt trial you're on — sounds like the adjuvant stage IV treatment trial with MDX-1106 and peptide vaccines? I actually requested the consent form from Moffitt as it's one of the few I might be able to qualify for. Except I got treated for new brain mets last week (surgery) so I need to achieve stability first again.

i'm very interested in your thoughts on the adjuvant MDX-1106 trial, and on what you think of the MDX-1106 part of it vs. the vaccine parts of it.

– Kyle

LynnLuc
                  Participant

I am not a wiz or anything, but I have done two 12 weeks of the Anti PD 1 vaccine trial at Moffitt receiving it along with 6 peptide injections every other week. I now receive a booster of the anti- PD 1 ( formally known as MDX 1106- now known as BMS-936558).  Both Yervoy ( Ipi) and BMS-936558 are monoclonal antibodies, but BOTH are not Anti PD-1.

IPI  (Yervoy) blocks CTLA-4 ( its long name is cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen.
                    CTLA- 4 is thought to turn off or slow down the immune system allowing melanoma to grow instead of fighting it off. Ipi may work by allowing the body’s immune system to recognize, target, and attack cells in melanoma tumors. 

Anti-PD-1 human monoclonal antibody MDX-1106, can block tumor growth in different ways. It can block the ability of tumor cells to grow and spread. Others find tumor cells and help kill them or carry tumor-killing substances to them. Cancer.gov defines it as "A fully human monoclonal antibody directed against the negative immunoregulatory human cell surface receptor PD-1 (programmed death-1 or programmed cell death-1/PCD-1) with immunopotentiation activity. Anti-PD-1 human monoclonal antibody MDX-1106 binds to and blocks the activation of PD-1, an Ig superfamily transmembrane protein, by its ligands PD-L1 and PD-L2, resulting in the activation of T-cells and cell-mediated immune responses against tumor cells or pathogens. Activated PD-1 negatively regulates T-cell activation and effector function through the suppression of P13k/Akt pathway activation."

I am staged 4 melanoma NED for 14 plus months.  Diagnosed stage 4 June 18, 2009.
                    NED since March 26, 2010.
                  kylez
                  Participant

This is a very personalized disease. So I can give you my answers from my own scenario, subtype and sites, and see if they make sense for your husband's situation.

I was given choice of IL2 or Biochemo last year I chose IL-2. Different oncolgists have very different opinions on biochemo. Both my oncs recommended IL-2 as a something to try, whereas only one recommended biochemo, the other advised against. IL2 worked on my small lung mets. IL2 (and IPI) are percentage plays for sure.

My melanoma subtype is sun-damaged, not BRAF. Now that IPI is on the scene, that's something my oncs are considering as something else I should consider trying as a systemtic treatment since it shows some activity in the brain, which is where my current metastatic activity is, whereas IL-2 apparently doesn't do much in the brain.

One of my friends is in the process of getting onto the MDX-1106 trial. Think IPI, it's also an anti-PD1 drug (and it's the same company), but with less toxic side effect profile. Doing IPI first would rule out MDX-1106 trial, but doing MDX-1106 first, it could still be possible to try IPI afterwards since it's approved.

There may be other interesting trials too. He might qualify for some of the TIL/Adoptive Cell Transfer trials, that would be something to look into too at Moffitt and NCI.

Charlie S
                    Participant

Emily, I have some what of a historical take in framing my medical decisions due to the fact that I have watched and experienced the progression of melanoma, both as a patient and lay scientific observer for now 24 years, so with that in mind here is a quote from an editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine by Marc S. Ernstoff about IPI and IL2.on June 4 of this year.

"To put the BRIM-3 study into perspective, interleukin-2 and ipilimumab have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as immunotherapies for metastatic melanoma. The 2-week administration of high-dose interleukin-2 produces an objective response in 16% of a highly selected group of patients and complete remission in 6% of patients, with a median duration of complete response of more than 10 years. Four doses of ipilimumab produce a median survival of 10 months (a 4-month advantage over a vaccine control group), a median progression-free survival of 11 weeks, and an objective response rate of 7% (with a rate of complete remission of 0.5%)

Though it is a bit esoteric, I would urge you to read the full text of the editorial and try and absorb it in order to aid you in making informed medical decisions, because it does a fine job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,though highly technical ,of sorthing through your exact question .

Here is the full text:  http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1105792?query=featured_home

Cheers,

Charlie S

Vermont_Donna
                        Participant

Hi Charlie,

Dr Marc Ernstoff is my melanoma oncologist and I think he is fantastic! I couldnt ask for a better oncologist or compassionate person…he is so personable, and friendly; he explains things so well, and is so caring. He works at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH. He certainly appears up to date on everything!!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, now NED due to Yervoy

Vermont_Donna
                          Participant

Hi Charlie,

Dr Marc Ernstoff is my melanoma oncologist and I think he is fantastic! I couldnt ask for a better oncologist or compassionate person…he is so personable, and friendly; he explains things so well, and is so caring. He works at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH. He certainly appears up to date on everything!!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, now NED due to Yervoy

Charlie S
                          Participant

Emily, I have some what of a historical take in framing my medical decisions due to the fact that I have watched and experienced the progression of melanoma, both as a patient and lay scientific observer for now 24 years, so with that in mind here is a quote from an editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine by Marc S. Ernstoff about IPI and IL2.on June 4 of this year.

"To put the BRIM-3 study into perspective, interleukin-2 and ipilimumab have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as immunotherapies for metastatic melanoma. The 2-week administration of high-dose interleukin-2 produces an objective response in 16% of a highly selected group of patients and complete remission in 6% of patients, with a median duration of complete response of more than 10 years. Four doses of ipilimumab produce a median survival of 10 months (a 4-month advantage over a vaccine control group), a median progression-free survival of 11 weeks, and an objective response rate of 7% (with a rate of complete remission of 0.5%)

Though it is a bit esoteric, I would urge you to read the full text of the editorial and try and absorb it in order to aid you in making informed medical decisions, because it does a fine job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,though highly technical ,of sorthing through your exact question .

Here is the full text:  http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1105792?query=featured_home

Cheers,

Charlie S

kylez
                            Participant

I also assume / hope your husband is working with a melanoma specializing oncologist. Ideally that person will be up on the latest clinical trial happenings (like my friend's doc recommending the MDX-1106 trial in his case), which things are working best for his subtype (BRAF clearly) — And whether any of the other BRAF trials will allow patients with prior treatment with PLEX4032. The good thing about MDX-1106 — in cases like my friend who was also treated with a BRAF drug — is that the prior treatment is not exclusionary since it's anti-PD1 not BRAF.

kylez
                              Participant

I also assume / hope your husband is working with a melanoma specializing oncologist. Ideally that person will be up on the latest clinical trial happenings (like my friend's doc recommending the MDX-1106 trial in his case), which things are working best for his subtype (BRAF clearly) — And whether any of the other BRAF trials will allow patients with prior treatment with PLEX4032. The good thing about MDX-1106 — in cases like my friend who was also treated with a BRAF drug — is that the prior treatment is not exclusionary since it's anti-PD1 not BRAF.

rbruce
                                Participant

im sitting in the California Pacifc  Medical Center icu doing biochemotherapy for the week. their latest stats show as much as 38% long term response rate over 5 years. no othertreatment option i qualified for was anywhere near this.  where its done is critical. BUT if he is braf + there may be some others. i just don,t know them. wish me luck and i'll let you know how  weathered. God Bless.  Robert

Terra
                                    Participant

Hi Emily, we are starting ipi on Friday at PMH.  Our onc also talked to us aout the TIL treatment at NCI.  We were really interested in it but for his reasons Derek chose ipi.  Let us know what you choose and if you'll be in Toronto.

Good Luck,

Terra

Terra
                                      Participant

Hi Emily, we are starting ipi on Friday at PMH.  Our onc also talked to us aout the TIL treatment at NCI.  We were really interested in it but for his reasons Derek chose ipi.  Let us know what you choose and if you'll be in Toronto.

Good Luck,

Terra

rbruce
                                      Participant

im sitting in the California Pacifc  Medical Center icu doing biochemotherapy for the week. their latest stats show as much as 38% long term response rate over 5 years. no othertreatment option i qualified for was anywhere near this.  where its done is critical. BUT if he is braf + there may be some others. i just don,t know them. wish me luck and i'll let you know how  weathered. God Bless.  Robert

debbieVA
                                        Participant

Hi Emily….

After progressing to Stage 4 in 2006 with bilateral lung mets, I opted for IL-2, knowing full well how toxic and the ensuing complications of side effects.  I was able to tolerate 57 treatments and continue to have negative scans and MRI's.  

I felt very strongly, that I needed to do this harsh treatment before my health and stamina were compromised by disease.  But discussions are difficult and options are few.

If I can be of any help, feel free to contact me.  Wishing your husband good health.

Debbie Stage 4 NED (2006)

debbieVA
                                          Participant

Hi Emily….

After progressing to Stage 4 in 2006 with bilateral lung mets, I opted for IL-2, knowing full well how toxic and the ensuing complications of side effects.  I was able to tolerate 57 treatments and continue to have negative scans and MRI's.  

I felt very strongly, that I needed to do this harsh treatment before my health and stamina were compromised by disease.  But discussions are difficult and options are few.

If I can be of any help, feel free to contact me.  Wishing your husband good health.

Debbie Stage 4 NED (2006)

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics