The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ipi/nivo trial

Forums General Melanoma Community ipi/nivo trial

Participant

So I am awaiting a bronchoscopy this week to biopsy the enlarged lymph nodes in my chest and would like to think about possible treatment plans that way if it is positive then I can have a somewhat educated conversation about treatment rather than being confused. So I've already had ipi the 3mg arm of the ipi/interferon trial. I finished all doses. So I've been reading here the last 2 years trying to keep informed on different trials/drugs. So since I've had ipi already does that mean I wouldn't be able to do the ipi/nivo trial and is that trial even available. I live around Omaha and would possibly be able to travel some, it might be pretty hard to do that all the time I guess cuz of my kids but what other trials are showing promising? I agree with what Celeste told me about trying a trial first so an anti-pd1 doesn't disqualify me for something else. I would sure appreciate any and all thoughts about what might be a possible game plan from some of you stage 4 people. Thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

Jimmy Carter's going the PD1 route… he's got some of the best docs. Albeit he does have brain mets so that would make a clinical trial hard. But PD1 alone has got to be a pretty viable option too. I fly 550 miles (short hop) every 2 weeks for my trial. Have been doing it for 17 months now, at first as overnight trips and now as day trips. I will say I have no depenents to take care of.

dfeng
            Participant

why brain mets make a clinical trial hard?

BrianP
              Participant

D. Feng,

Many trials when they define their exclusion criteria it will list brain mets as one of the exclusions.  This seems to have become a little more relaxed over the last couple years as they have discovered immunotherapy can cross the brain barrier.  Many now will say something like no more than 3 brain mets and none bigger than .5 cm or something like that.

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

D. Feng,

Many trials when they define their exclusion criteria it will list brain mets as one of the exclusions.  This seems to have become a little more relaxed over the last couple years as they have discovered immunotherapy can cross the brain barrier.  Many now will say something like no more than 3 brain mets and none bigger than .5 cm or something like that.

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

D. Feng,

Brian

dfeng
                    Participant

dfeng
                      Participant

kylez
                      Participant

Jimmy Carter's going the PD1 route… he's got some of the best docs. Albeit he does have brain mets so that would make a clinical trial hard. But PD1 alone has got to be a pretty viable option too. I fly 550 miles (short hop) every 2 weeks for my trial. Have been doing it for 17 months now, at first as overnight trips and now as day trips. I will say I have no depenents to take care of.

kylez
                        Participant

BrianP
                          Participant

I also agree with Kyle than Anti-PD1 would be a great option.  Don't think because you've tried ipi that you would automatically be disqualified for a ipi/nivo trial.  Trials often create subset categories within the trial.  In your case they might want to see how people do on the combo who progressed on ipi alone.  Not saying they have an arm like that but it's possible.

dfeng
                              Participant

agree, give a try doesn't hurt.

dfeng
                                Participant

dfeng
                                  Participant

BrianP
                                  Participant

I also agree with Kyle than Anti-PD1 would be a great option.  Don't think because you've tried ipi that you would automatically be disqualified for a ipi/nivo trial.  Trials often create subset categories within the trial.  In your case they might want to see how people do on the combo who progressed on ipi alone.  Not saying they have an arm like that but it's possible.

BrianP
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics