The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi/Nivo post 3d infusion Adrenal Crash

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi/Nivo post 3d infusion Adrenal Crash

Participant

First time post, so please forgive if protocol is improper.

My husband was diagnosed Stage IV Metastatic Melanoma, HLA Neg, BRAF + and put on Ipi/Nivo combo in August 2017. After the 2nd infusion, he began to get side effects of severe muscle pain, joint pain. After 3d infusion, this progressed even stronger and led to Adrenal Crash. IM Prednisone followed along with Levothyroxine and then hydrocortisone. 

Has anyone experienced adrenal crash with this treatment? Can you offer any sage words regarding your experience? Have you recovered your adrenal system or are you on replacement therapy (Prednisone, Hydrocortisone and/or thyroid replacement)?

I realize the combo drug is like a bull out of the gate and the steroids work to put the brakes on the drugs but is there anything else you are doing to improve your situation that you might share?

Thank you~

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MovingOn
        Participant

Hi, I’m sorry you and your husband are dealing with melanoma. I wish this club would close because of no more melanoma patients.

Regarding the adrenal crisis after Ipi/Nivo, most likely your husband experienced Hypophysitis from Ipi. After the third infusion is exactly when I experienced it. Hypophysitis is swelling of the pituitary gland. When it swells then it stops producing some of the 8 hormones it normally produces. The prednisone will reduce the swelling and stop the immune system from attacking the pituitary. However, most of the function of the pituitary usually does not return (each patient is unique in this regard).

Looking up Hypophysitis online doesn’t produce a lot of information because there are a limited number of people who have experienced in from immunotherapy. But looking up adrenal insufficiency produces a lot of info.

Your health system will refer your husband to an endocrinologist who will continue treatment (hydrocortisone, thyroxine, and possibly testosterone). It is through the endocrinologist that your husband will get back to feeling normal (having the right balance of replacement hormones). Then things will seem fine again.

Most likely your husband will be able to continue with Nivo (or switch to Pembro) but not Ipi.

Note: If you look up the lab results from the second and third infusion you will see the TSH and Free T4 both drop.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics