The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi. How long does the itching and rash last?

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi. How long does the itching and rash last?

Participant

My last Yervoy infusion was January 2. Now in April, the itching and rash are worse than ever, though still a very small price to pay if it is doing its job.  So no big complaints but just curiosity in learning what other people's experience has been with this side effect weeks and months after the last infusion.

My last Yervoy infusion was January 2. Now in April, the itching and rash are worse than ever, though still a very small price to pay if it is doing its job.  So no big complaints but just curiosity in learning what other people's experience has been with this side effect weeks and months after the last infusion.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        mark1101
        Participant

I started itching and having rash just prior to my 2nd treatment about a week ago.  My Doc RX'd Prednisone and Atarax which muted the symptoms pretty quickly.  Also using Sarna lotion (OTC) on small itchy areas as they occur.  As you said, if the itch is the worst side effect I have, I'll be happy…assuming the Yervoy works in the first place.

mark1101
          Participant

I started itching and having rash just prior to my 2nd treatment about a week ago.  My Doc RX'd Prednisone and Atarax which muted the symptoms pretty quickly.  Also using Sarna lotion (OTC) on small itchy areas as they occur.  As you said, if the itch is the worst side effect I have, I'll be happy…assuming the Yervoy works in the first place.

mark1101
              Participant

PS to my note above:  The doc started reducing my prednisone on day 3 of the course as the itching had cleared up and no evident rash.  Today is day 5 and the itching is back as bad as before.  Doc took my dose back up to 100 mg this morning and added pepcid along with atarax to tamp down the histamines.  If it works as it did a few days ago, I should be clear of itching by tomorrow morning.  Very tenacious symptom in my case.

NYKaren
                Participant
                  Mark, you must mean 10 mg of Pred, right? 🙂
                  mark1101
                  Participant

Nope, I mean 1000mg prednisone daily.  Only 3mg/kg ipi.

mark1101
                    Participant

mark1101
                      Participant

NYKaren
                        Participant
                          Wow. I hope your taper is successful this time. Again, good luck.
                          NYKaren
                          Participant
                            NYKaren
                            Participant
                              NYKaren
                              Participant
                                NYKaren
                                Participant
                                  mark1101
                                  Participant

PS to my note above:  The doc started reducing my prednisone on day 3 of the course as the itching had cleared up and no evident rash.  Today is day 5 and the itching is back as bad as before.  Doc took my dose back up to 100 mg this morning and added pepcid along with atarax to tamp down the histamines.  If it works as it did a few days ago, I should be clear of itching by tomorrow morning.  Very tenacious symptom in my case.

mark1101
                                    Participant

mark1101
                                    Participant

NYKaren
                                      Participant
                                        I also took atarax, which helped but caused drowsiness. But i know that within a month of last infusion it was waning down, and I did have a pretty bad rash for almost my entire Ipi #1 course. Could it be something other than Ipi? What does your doc say? Maybe a week of Prednisone?? Let us know.
                                        best,
                                        Karen
                                        NYKaren
                                        Participant
                                          I also took atarax, which helped but caused drowsiness. But i know that within a month of last infusion it was waning down, and I did have a pretty bad rash for almost my entire Ipi #1 course. Could it be something other than Ipi? What does your doc say? Maybe a week of Prednisone?? Let us know.
                                          best,
                                          Karen
                                          NYKaren
                                          Participant
                                            best,
                                            Karen
                                            Sandy11
                                            Participant

My husband completed Ipi in Dec. The rash lasted about 6 weeks but it began earlier in his treatment  This was on his shins and forearms. It returned about two months after treatment. It was on his entire body for around 30 days.  Aveno cortisone cream is the only product that offered relief. I'd ask your doctor as there are differing opinions re cortisone products. I've heard very different stories about the timing and intensity of this annoying and often painful rash.  (The good news is.. so far preliminary results for him are very positive!)  I hope this helps.. wishing you positive results and relief soon. 

Sandy11
                                              Participant

My husband completed Ipi in Dec. The rash lasted about 6 weeks but it began earlier in his treatment  This was on his shins and forearms. It returned about two months after treatment. It was on his entire body for around 30 days.  Aveno cortisone cream is the only product that offered relief. I'd ask your doctor as there are differing opinions re cortisone products. I've heard very different stories about the timing and intensity of this annoying and often painful rash.  (The good news is.. so far preliminary results for him are very positive!)  I hope this helps.. wishing you positive results and relief soon. 

Sandy11
                                                Participant

buffcody
                                                  Participant

Thanks for sharing your experiences and the recommendations for relief.  My dermatologist has given me a  prescription cortisone cream to use in addition to the Sarna that my oncologist had suggested.  In addition to the itching and rash, I have been from time to time, usually on my arms, waking up to find purple and red blotches that both doctors have dubbed bruises, which the oncologist does not believe are ipi related.  I do since I have no idea where the bruises would have come from and never had them pre-ipi. They flare and disappear in a few days. The onc thought that the cortisone cream if overused could be responsible??  Anyway, today things are quiet.  My own for what it's worth opinion is that all this is a salutary sign that my immune system is still reved up, fighting the micro mets by attacking innocent melanocytes. 

buffcody
                                                    Participant

Thanks for sharing your experiences and the recommendations for relief.  My dermatologist has given me a  prescription cortisone cream to use in addition to the Sarna that my oncologist had suggested.  In addition to the itching and rash, I have been from time to time, usually on my arms, waking up to find purple and red blotches that both doctors have dubbed bruises, which the oncologist does not believe are ipi related.  I do since I have no idea where the bruises would have come from and never had them pre-ipi. They flare and disappear in a few days. The onc thought that the cortisone cream if overused could be responsible??  Anyway, today things are quiet.  My own for what it's worth opinion is that all this is a salutary sign that my immune system is still reved up, fighting the micro mets by attacking innocent melanocytes. 

Anne Cole
                                                        Participant
                                                          The itching lasted about two and a half years. During that time I made a solution of 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup oatmeal ground up, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil diluted with warm water. Pour into bathtub of water and sit in for about 20 minutes. Use washcloth to bath any parts of the body that is not covered in the bathtub. His doctor also prescribed augmented betamethasone ointment. That was the only thing that relieved his itching. Hope this helps.
                                                        buffcody
                                                        Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics