The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi and itching/rash

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi and itching/rash

Participant

Took my 1st Ipi maintenance treatment almost 6 weeks ago.  Am tapering off prednisone slowly (3 mg daily as of today).  About a week ago I started to get outbreaks of what I would descirbe as hives in colonies located in various spots over my body.  I am using Clobetasol 2x daily on the sites and taking benedryl regularly.  Would like not to go back up on prednisone if I can avoid it.  Anyone else experience similar?  What helped you with the itching sensation most?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant
          Hi Mark,
          What helped me the most is Atarax, an antihistamine. I believe it comes in 25 and 50mg. tabs. The 50 made me tired, but it was the only thing that gave me any relief from the rash/itching.
          I was on Ipi twice. The first time the rash/itching just about did me in; the second time, I had no rash, just colitis and adrenal insufficiency.

Take care; I hope you’re getting a response from the ipi.
          Karen

NYKaren
          Participant
            Hi Mark,
            What helped me the most is Atarax, an antihistamine. I believe it comes in 25 and 50mg. tabs. The 50 made me tired, but it was the only thing that gave me any relief from the rash/itching.
            I was on Ipi twice. The first time the rash/itching just about did me in; the second time, I had no rash, just colitis and adrenal insufficiency.

Karen

NYKaren
            Participant
              Hi Mark,

Karen

Mlalvarezus
                Participant
                  My mother has stage four vaginal melanoma and has had four yarvoy treatments at NYU w/Dr Pavlcik. So far, so good. Her tumor has shrunken significantly and we will know more with a pet scan in a month. She also had quite a bit of rash and itching and her doctors approach was to hit it hard with prednisone and then taper her down. She treats the side effects immediately to avoid having them get worse. That seems to do the trick. It also addressed some fatigue she was having. I know steroids are to be taken cautiously, but in this case, their temporary use is necessary. She has gone as high as 20mg for a few days and at her last infusion it was also given prior to the treatment via IV. The goal is to make sure she tolerates yarvoy which is her only chance of survival. We always taper it down after 2-3 days at a particular level until she is off it. I will look into the atarax as well. Btw, we think the world of Dr Pavlick.
                  NYKaren
                  Participant
                    I think the world of her and her entire team too.
                    NYKaren
                    Participant
                      NYKaren
                      Participant
                        Mlalvarezus
                        Participant
                          My mother has stage four vaginal melanoma and has had four yarvoy treatments at NYU w/Dr Pavlcik. So far, so good. Her tumor has shrunken significantly and we will know more with a pet scan in a month. She also had quite a bit of rash and itching and her doctors approach was to hit it hard with prednisone and then taper her down. She treats the side effects immediately to avoid having them get worse. That seems to do the trick. It also addressed some fatigue she was having. I know steroids are to be taken cautiously, but in this case, their temporary use is necessary. She has gone as high as 20mg for a few days and at her last infusion it was also given prior to the treatment via IV. The goal is to make sure she tolerates yarvoy which is her only chance of survival. We always taper it down after 2-3 days at a particular level until she is off it. I will look into the atarax as well. Btw, we think the world of Dr Pavlick.
                          Mlalvarezus
                          Participant
                            mark1101
                            Participant

Thanks Karen.  I have been taking benedryl, but maybe atarax would be better.  I'll check into that.  So far the Ipi is working.  I have actually been NED since my last surgery which was near the end of February.

NYKaren
                              Participant
                                That’s fabulous, Mark. I find it so interesting/ odd that what works so well for some doesn’t do anything for others. But at least now the more drugs that are approved, the better our chances become.
                                Take care,
                                Karen
                                NYKaren
                                Participant
                                  That’s fabulous, Mark. I find it so interesting/ odd that what works so well for some doesn’t do anything for others. But at least now the more drugs that are approved, the better our chances become.
                                  Take care,
                                  Karen
                                  NYKaren
                                  Participant
                                    Take care,
                                    Karen
                                    mark1101
                                    Participant

Thanks Karen.  I have been taking benedryl, but maybe atarax would be better.  I'll check into that.  So far the Ipi is working.  I have actually been NED since my last surgery which was near the end of February.

mark1101
                                      Participant

sFELDMAN
                                      Participant
                                        I have just completed my 4th treatment of Yervoy. After my 2nd treatment itching was unbearable. Many oatmeal baths later I got a script from my Doc that is better then benedryl and did the trick. I take one pill before end time. It us hydroxyzine pamoate 50MG. Good luck, hang in there, it is only temporary. God bless.
                                        sFELDMAN
                                        Participant
                                          I have just completed my 4th treatment of Yervoy. After my 2nd treatment itching was unbearable. Many oatmeal baths later I got a script from my Doc that is better then benedryl and did the trick. I take one pill before end time. It us hydroxyzine pamoate 50MG. Good luck, hang in there, it is only temporary. God bless.
                                            mark1101
                                            Participant

Is hydroxyzine pamoate generic for Atarax?

mark1101
                                              Participant

mark1101
                                                Participant

sFELDMAN
                                                Participant
                                              Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics