The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi 3 on hold – brain exploding headaches!

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi 3 on hold – brain exploding headaches!

Participant

Hi friends,

Ok I exaggerate for color and and to keep things interesting, but you get my drift.  Up until 10 days ago the only side effect I had from Ipi 1 & 2 was tiredness, but even that wasn't too bad.  Then 10 days ago everything slowly ramped (boiling the frog?) up to wanting to sleep 12 hours and brain exploding headaches.  

So yesterday when I went in for my third Ipi infusion, and rather than getting it, I got a bag of steroids and an brain MRI.  Rock Star Doc figures it's a swollen pituitary glad that's making my head want to explode, as it seems to be a fairly common side effect with ipi.  I should find out more after he gets the results of the MRI, but I see steroids and daily replacement drugs in my future.

On the good news side, I found out that I am BRAF + with a "rare" subtype.  Nice to know.

Blessing!!

Julie

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Julie,

Welcome to the exploding brain club and may I say I'm sorry you are here. Myself, TinaD, and Dave from Ormond can definitely relate to what you are going through.  You should find if you haven't already that the steriods take care of the headaches pretty quick.  If you do some searches for myself, Tina, and Dave's post you might get some useful info.  If you can't find them let me know and I'll try to provide the links.  Hope you are feeling better.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Julie,

Welcome to the exploding brain club and may I say I'm sorry you are here. Myself, TinaD, and Dave from Ormond can definitely relate to what you are going through.  You should find if you haven't already that the steriods take care of the headaches pretty quick.  If you do some searches for myself, Tina, and Dave's post you might get some useful info.  If you can't find them let me know and I'll try to provide the links.  Hope you are feeling better.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Julie,

Brian

Brendan
              Participant

Hi Julie,

I, too, had the 'brain exploding' headaches-you are not exaggerating.  I still see an endocrinologist (two years now) and 5mg of prednisone keeps it in check.

Good luck.

Brendan 

BrianP
                  Participant

Hey Brendan,

Not as long as you, but I'm also on the 5mg a day.  Do you ever take 2.5 in the evenings?  Endocrinologist says that's an option for me but so far I haven't felt like I needed it.

Also just found out I'm low on testosterone as well so now I'm taking that. ๐Ÿ™

Anyone else with the pituitary inflamation have heat surges as a result.  I'm telling you what, I get periods where it's like a furnace went off inside of me and I even start sweating.  Just started the testosterone and after a few days it seems like the furnance has been turned down a little but I'm still getting the hot flashes.  Hoping it will go away completely once my testosterone levels get back up to normal.

Brian

Julie in SoCal
                    Participant

Hey Brian,

I've also had hot flashes.  I just figured it was "normal".  Yikes!

On the good side, the bag of steroids have taken the explosion from a 7-9 down to a 1-2 and I can think again.  Yea!  Also , Rock Star Doc's office just called and said that my MRI looked good and that the majority of my boodwork was also fine.  Just waiting on the adrenal and pituatary hormone tests now. 

Ipi 3 is scheduled for next week.

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                      Participant

Hey Brian,

On the good side, the bag of steroids have taken the explosion from a 7-9 down to a 1-2 and I can think again.  Yea!  Also , Rock Star Doc's office just called and said that my MRI looked good and that the majority of my boodwork was also fine.  Just waiting on the adrenal and pituatary hormone tests now. 

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                        Participant

Hey Brian,

Julie

BrianP
                          Participant

Hey Brendan,

Not as long as you, but I'm also on the 5mg a day.  Do you ever take 2.5 in the evenings?  Endocrinologist says that's an option for me but so far I haven't felt like I needed it.

Also just found out I'm low on testosterone as well so now I'm taking that. ๐Ÿ™

Anyone else with the pituitary inflamation have heat surges as a result.  I'm telling you what, I get periods where it's like a furnace went off inside of me and I even start sweating.  Just started the testosterone and after a few days it seems like the furnance has been turned down a little but I'm still getting the hot flashes.  Hoping it will go away completely once my testosterone levels get back up to normal.

Brian

BrianP
                            Participant

Hey Brendan,

Brian

Brendan
                            Participant

Hi Julie,

I, too, had the 'brain exploding' headaches-you are not exaggerating.  I still see an endocrinologist (two years now) and 5mg of prednisone keeps it in check.

Good luck.

Brendan 

Brendan
                              Participant

Hi Julie,

Good luck.

Brendan 

Tina D
                                Participant

That is the perfect description of that nasty pituitary headache. Like Brian said, I also got this after my third dose. The steroids cleared it up SO fast! I continue on a maintenance dose of 5 mg to present time. It is a GOOD sign though, to have such an immune response to the ipi. It means your immune system is indeed ramped up for action! Now it can go kick some melanoma to the curb! I hope you are already feeling better and that everything else checked out fine. 

Tina

Tina D
                                  Participant

That is the perfect description of that nasty pituitary headache. Like Brian said, I also got this after my third dose. The steroids cleared it up SO fast! I continue on a maintenance dose of 5 mg to present time. It is a GOOD sign though, to have such an immune response to the ipi. It means your immune system is indeed ramped up for action! Now it can go kick some melanoma to the curb! I hope you are already feeling better and that everything else checked out fine. 

Tina

Dave from Ormond
                                      Participant

It definitely means your immune system is ramped up. However it didn't mean that it worked in my case.  I got the major Ipi headache, swollen pit gland and the works and still had new growths 3 months after I finished my 4th dose of Ipi.

Good luck to you and remember that there are quite a few new treatment options that are getting great results if the Ipi doesn't work.  Stay positive!

Dave from Ormond
                                        Participant

It definitely means your immune system is ramped up. However it didn't mean that it worked in my case.  I got the major Ipi headache, swollen pit gland and the works and still had new growths 3 months after I finished my 4th dose of Ipi.

Good luck to you and remember that there are quite a few new treatment options that are getting great results if the Ipi doesn't work.  Stay positive!

Dave from Ormond
                                          Participant

Tina D
                                          Participant

Tina

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics