The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interleukin 2 at UVA

Forums General Melanoma Community Interleukin 2 at UVA

Participant

I will begin Interleukin 2 treatments at UVA in early February.  Just wondering if you can give me any advice and what you have experienced.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

Sure can, I had 49 bags from Dr Weiss.  My experience is in my profile.  You are welcome to red it and we can talk as much as you like.  Tough but definitely do-able.  Dr Weiss has been doing this for 32 years.  He's very conciouencious.  Is he your onc or is Dr Grosh?

Kim K
            Participant

Same for me.  I did 23 bags in 2010.  I am now NED over 3 1/2 years.  Tough but doable.  You recover very quickly and can move on to other trials and hopefully ramp up your immune system if not or a partial responder.  If a complete responder, you have a 50:50 chance of being alive in 5 years!  If a CR and no recurrance by 36 months, you probably won't have one :).

Just take one bag at a time.  I mostly just slept.  Read my post for some special tips ex. bring the one drop toilet deoderizer (you will need it), there is a gel you can put on your eyelids / inside your nostrils since that is where I became very dry and ulcerated, and some emla cream to numb your bum or other protectant as it will become raw with the runs.

After the second day I coudn't eat or drink anymore even if I wanted to.  By the second round I was so bloated I thought my body was going to split into 2, and the thought of eating / drinking anything made me very very sick.

Afterwards I had baby bottom soft skin for several months after I finished peeling.  I took pictures along the way if you REALLY want to see what it was like.  I am glad I did it, after IL-2 I can survive anything.  For me it was well worth the effort.  Wishing you the best!

Kim K
              Participant

Same for me.  I did 23 bags in 2010.  I am now NED over 3 1/2 years.  Tough but doable.  You recover very quickly and can move on to other trials and hopefully ramp up your immune system if not or a partial responder.  If a complete responder, you have a 50:50 chance of being alive in 5 years!  If a CR and no recurrance by 36 months, you probably won't have one :).

Just take one bag at a time.  I mostly just slept.  Read my post for some special tips ex. bring the one drop toilet deoderizer (you will need it), there is a gel you can put on your eyelids / inside your nostrils since that is where I became very dry and ulcerated, and some emla cream to numb your bum or other protectant as it will become raw with the runs.

After the second day I coudn't eat or drink anymore even if I wanted to.  By the second round I was so bloated I thought my body was going to split into 2, and the thought of eating / drinking anything made me very very sick.

Afterwards I had baby bottom soft skin for several months after I finished peeling.  I took pictures along the way if you REALLY want to see what it was like.  I am glad I did it, after IL-2 I can survive anything.  For me it was well worth the effort.  Wishing you the best!

Kim K
                Participant

tschmith
                  Participant

Thank you for your responses, Kim and Jerry.  I'm encouraged!  I know I can do it…I'm scared, but I was also scared when melanoma attacked my L2 vertebrae and I ended up having to have a fusion. I now have 2 rods and 6 screws in my back…this was done on Halloween 2013! devil  It wasn't fun but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?!

Guess I need to work on writing my profile!

Take care and glad you're both still around!

Terrie

tschmith
                    Participant

Thank you for your responses, Kim and Jerry.  I'm encouraged!  I know I can do it…I'm scared, but I was also scared when melanoma attacked my L2 vertebrae and I ended up having to have a fusion. I now have 2 rods and 6 screws in my back…this was done on Halloween 2013! devil  It wasn't fun but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?!

Terrie

tschmith
                      Participant

Terrie

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Sure can, I had 49 bags from Dr Weiss.  My experience is in my profile.  You are welcome to red it and we can talk as much as you like.  Tough but definitely do-able.  Dr Weiss has been doing this for 32 years.  He's very conciouencious.  Is he your onc or is Dr Grosh?

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

ecc26
                          Participant

I had IL-2 from Dec 2012 through May 1013. I averaged 9 doses/week but please do not put any relevence on the number of doses you, or anyone else gets. We all keep count- for something to do, to compare to previous weeks, etc- but really it means nothing. What matters is your body's reaction to the drug. I was told "We are going to make you as sick as we can while still being safe, then keep you that sick for the week." That's a pretty acurate description of what happens- they give you a dose every 8 hours until you are sicker than you've ever been in your life, then they may ease up and skip a dose. I thought "I'm tough, it won't be THAT bad"… Trust me, it is. There really is no way to impress that on people until you go through it. 

I learned after the first week to be very careful what I ate once I got to the hospital. It usually took about 4 doses before I really started feeling bad, but I found out it comes on fast when it comes. It's better to go easy even when you feel good. I commonly had vomiting (sometimes with warning, sometimes without) and really severe diarrhea. Typically I would get a severe fever/chills after 1-3 doses/week and gained 10-15 lb of retained fluid each week (don't worry, it'll all come off really fast during the week off/following each week in the hospital. I also had to have my magnesium, bicarbonate and occasionally my potassium supplemented. My skin, as others have mentioned got red, itchy, and very dry. Benedryl can help with that after you get home (I was on it automatically when I checked in each week) but the hospital I was in also automatically gave us a jar of heavy duty moisturizer because skin issues are so common. It felt to me like a severe sunburn. It was always worse the second week of the cycle, and got worse quicker with each cycle. 

Biggest piece of advice: As soon as you think you're having a side effect tell a nurse. Don't try to tuff it out. I learned the hard way that that wasn't worth it either. Get out of bed and walk whenever you can- I tried to go for at least 3 walks per day and tried to walk for 20 min each time. Walking helps, but you'll have to learn when to time them in relation to your  doses so you don't pass out. I also found out that with respect to nausea for me it was more important to time my meals (or attempts at meals) for 1/2 hr after my anti-emetic (anti-nausea) medication rather than trying to time it shortly before the doses. Speaking of meals- bland and small is best- soup (or broth if it's offered) and plain rice or un-buttered noodles were my staple for lunch and dinner, when I was able I ate plain oatmeal or cream of wheat (no sugar) for breakfast. You may find that popsicles, especially all juice ones, may taste good every once in a while- we were able to keep a box in a freezer on the floor.  

Do your best to drink lots of water, even though you're going to puff up like the marshmallow man, you need the fluids. Bring some entertainment- computer, books, crosswords, ect- by the end of the week you may be mostly sleeping (even when I wasn't I couldn't focus or think well enough to really do much of anything) but early in the week you're going to want something to do. I had a small tote back that really didn't get unpacked from week to week- sometimes it got supplemented but never unpacked- it was my entertainment bag. It had puzzle books, reading books, DVD's, etc. I think the only other advice I have is wear the loosest most comfy clothes you've got. 

Mostly the first week is a learning experience and then once you get through that week and know how your body is going to react you'll feel much more prepared for the rest of the therapy. Definitely doable- you'll feel like heck while your there, but for me I recovered so fast I almost forgot how terrible I felt while I was there… almost. 

Oh, and one last note to this very long reply- if you have lympedema expect that to really blow up like never before. If you know you have or have had lympedema, tell the nurses and be prepared to wrap limbs yourself, or have them set up appointments for you with a physical therapist to help you wrap and keep it somewhat under control. If, like me, you have lympedema in an arm, have them put your blood pressure cuff on the other arm- I made the mistake of using my lympedema arm the first week and after that it was left arm only. The cuff makes lymphedema worse, faster.

Best of luck and hoping you get the holy grail of long term control

tschmith
                              Participant

Thank you for honesty and advice.  I guess we all endure this because we feel there are no other choices at the moment. I really think we will soon have other more options that aren't as miserable.  However, I'm preparing myself!  I've not had lympedema.  Guess that's a plus.  I know this will be so hard….but I have the hope that it will help me!

Thanks again!

Terrie

tschmith
                                Participant

Thank you for honesty and advice.  I guess we all endure this because we feel there are no other choices at the moment. I really think we will soon have other more options that aren't as miserable.  However, I'm preparing myself!  I've not had lympedema.  Guess that's a plus.  I know this will be so hard….but I have the hope that it will help me!

Thanks again!

Terrie

tschmith
                                  Participant

Thanks again!

Terrie

ecc26
                                  Participant

I had IL-2 from Dec 2012 through May 1013. I averaged 9 doses/week but please do not put any relevence on the number of doses you, or anyone else gets. We all keep count- for something to do, to compare to previous weeks, etc- but really it means nothing. What matters is your body's reaction to the drug. I was told "We are going to make you as sick as we can while still being safe, then keep you that sick for the week." That's a pretty acurate description of what happens- they give you a dose every 8 hours until you are sicker than you've ever been in your life, then they may ease up and skip a dose. I thought "I'm tough, it won't be THAT bad"… Trust me, it is. There really is no way to impress that on people until you go through it. 

I learned after the first week to be very careful what I ate once I got to the hospital. It usually took about 4 doses before I really started feeling bad, but I found out it comes on fast when it comes. It's better to go easy even when you feel good. I commonly had vomiting (sometimes with warning, sometimes without) and really severe diarrhea. Typically I would get a severe fever/chills after 1-3 doses/week and gained 10-15 lb of retained fluid each week (don't worry, it'll all come off really fast during the week off/following each week in the hospital. I also had to have my magnesium, bicarbonate and occasionally my potassium supplemented. My skin, as others have mentioned got red, itchy, and very dry. Benedryl can help with that after you get home (I was on it automatically when I checked in each week) but the hospital I was in also automatically gave us a jar of heavy duty moisturizer because skin issues are so common. It felt to me like a severe sunburn. It was always worse the second week of the cycle, and got worse quicker with each cycle. 

Biggest piece of advice: As soon as you think you're having a side effect tell a nurse. Don't try to tuff it out. I learned the hard way that that wasn't worth it either. Get out of bed and walk whenever you can- I tried to go for at least 3 walks per day and tried to walk for 20 min each time. Walking helps, but you'll have to learn when to time them in relation to your  doses so you don't pass out. I also found out that with respect to nausea for me it was more important to time my meals (or attempts at meals) for 1/2 hr after my anti-emetic (anti-nausea) medication rather than trying to time it shortly before the doses. Speaking of meals- bland and small is best- soup (or broth if it's offered) and plain rice or un-buttered noodles were my staple for lunch and dinner, when I was able I ate plain oatmeal or cream of wheat (no sugar) for breakfast. You may find that popsicles, especially all juice ones, may taste good every once in a while- we were able to keep a box in a freezer on the floor.  

Do your best to drink lots of water, even though you're going to puff up like the marshmallow man, you need the fluids. Bring some entertainment- computer, books, crosswords, ect- by the end of the week you may be mostly sleeping (even when I wasn't I couldn't focus or think well enough to really do much of anything) but early in the week you're going to want something to do. I had a small tote back that really didn't get unpacked from week to week- sometimes it got supplemented but never unpacked- it was my entertainment bag. It had puzzle books, reading books, DVD's, etc. I think the only other advice I have is wear the loosest most comfy clothes you've got. 

Mostly the first week is a learning experience and then once you get through that week and know how your body is going to react you'll feel much more prepared for the rest of the therapy. Definitely doable- you'll feel like heck while your there, but for me I recovered so fast I almost forgot how terrible I felt while I was there… almost. 

Oh, and one last note to this very long reply- if you have lympedema expect that to really blow up like never before. If you know you have or have had lympedema, tell the nurses and be prepared to wrap limbs yourself, or have them set up appointments for you with a physical therapist to help you wrap and keep it somewhat under control. If, like me, you have lympedema in an arm, have them put your blood pressure cuff on the other arm- I made the mistake of using my lympedema arm the first week and after that it was left arm only. The cuff makes lymphedema worse, faster.

ecc26
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics