The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon treatment terminated after 3 weeks of IV portion due to elevated liver function and low neutraphils

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon treatment terminated after 3 weeks of IV portion due to elevated liver function and low neutraphils

Participant

I have done a number of searches and have been unable to find any others who have encountered this, but am sure there are.  If so – I'd like to hear from you. 

I have done a number of searches and have been unable to find any others who have encountered this, but am sure there are.  If so – I'd like to hear from you. 

I started the high dose interferon June 22.  First week labs showed elevated liver function and low neutraphils – both outside of the acceptable range, so oncologist put me on a 1 week break and reduced the dose by half.  I was put on 1 week breaks after 2nd week and 3rd week, again because my neutraphils were too low.  Throughout, I was generally feeling fairly well, considering some of the side effects others have reported.  When I went in to see the oncologist last week he advised that he is terminating the interferon treatment as he doesn't feel it is safe, and that I will get into trouble very quickly once I start the injections.  I was surprised and disappointed…I know many don't complete the year, but I hadn't heard of anyone who wasn't able to get through at least the high dose round.  Has anyone else encountered this?  Are there any other options for me other than wait and watch?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Interferon is a very old treatment for melanoma and its use is controversial. As you
          have discovered, it has significant toxicity. This can cause serious side effects in
          some patients, so it was wise for your oncologist to stop the treatment at an early
          stage.

Have you considered Leukine (GM-CSF)? This has been found to change the nature
          of melanoma in some people, making any new tumours more manageable with
          surgery. See:
          http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ned-stage-iv-and-gm-csf-leukine

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Interferon is a very old treatment for melanoma and its use is controversial. As you
            have discovered, it has significant toxicity. This can cause serious side effects in
            some patients, so it was wise for your oncologist to stop the treatment at an early
            stage.

Have you considered Leukine (GM-CSF)? This has been found to change the nature
            of melanoma in some people, making any new tumours more manageable with
            surgery. See:
            http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ned-stage-iv-and-gm-csf-leukine

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

djpayn
            Participant

i often stopped the INF and restarted at a lower dose due to certain changes in blood work, finally stopping after 10 months. INF is an out-dated durg for mel, but for many at stage 3 there is nothing else to be done. Alot of onc's dont ude INF anymore but the ones that do, make sure that it isnt doing more damage than good.

Talk to your doctor about other drugs or trials that may be available for you stage.

Good luck.

djpayn
              Participant

i often stopped the INF and restarted at a lower dose due to certain changes in blood work, finally stopping after 10 months. INF is an out-dated durg for mel, but for many at stage 3 there is nothing else to be done. Alot of onc's dont ude INF anymore but the ones that do, make sure that it isnt doing more damage than good.

Talk to your doctor about other drugs or trials that may be available for you stage.

Good luck.

nicoli
                Participant

Hi,

I did interrferon last year for exactly 2 days. I  experienced what my onc called a psychotic episode  and it was stopped immediately. From the outset my one  said she didn't think it would do any good but I could try if I wanted. My second onc does not recommend it or would even have allowed me to start it. It is an old poison, doesn't do any good and is just to make you feel like you are doing something.

Why put poison in your system for no reason and possibly weaken your system for when you really need the health and strength?

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                  Participant

Hi,

I did interrferon last year for exactly 2 days. I  experienced what my onc called a psychotic episode  and it was stopped immediately. From the outset my one  said she didn't think it would do any good but I could try if I wanted. My second onc does not recommend it or would even have allowed me to start it. It is an old poison, doesn't do any good and is just to make you feel like you are doing something.

Why put poison in your system for no reason and possibly weaken your system for when you really need the health and strength?

Nicki, Stage 3b

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics