The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

interferon finish line

Forums General Melanoma Community interferon finish line

Participant
      Okay, i just finished my one year of interferon treatment on friday, even though i cussed, screamed, cried and laughed each day i had to do the injections and threatens to quit them. (My poor husband, as i am yelling this is my last dose, i cant do this anymore, he replies okay honey whatever you decide, knowing i wouuldnt quit. I go make on May 25th for my pet scan / mri/ restaging. The questions i have:

I feel helpless. I am driving my anxiety to a new level because i have lost the feeling of control that i had over preventing this beast from coming back. (Not that i ever really had controll) but i feel like i am just watch and wait mode and i am not surei can handle that

I am having these headaches on top of my head to back of my head for about three days, it that expected.

Last thing, about a month ago i went to endocronologist and he said i only have half of thyroid and diagnosed me with Hasimotos thyroid. Started me on 25 of synthroid. I feel like a walking waterbottle. I feel so bloated and constantly hungery no matter how much i eat. I also get winded quickly. Almost like signs and symptoms of congested heart failure. I am 35, is this what i am going to feel like the rest of my life?

Thank you for all your support.
      Rachel

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Wendi Lynn
        Participant

Congrats on the FINISH!!!!  I finished in December and know how you are feeling with the anxiety.  I thought the same thing about being in watch-n-wait mode.  And, of course, every little pain or new feeling is cancer (but that's only in my head).  I just had my second round of scans and will see the doctor tomorrow to get the results.  I've been pretty confident in the past, but I'm not feeling as confident this time.   I did have headaches right after I finished, but those were related to a sinus infection.   I can't help on the Thyroid front, but did want you to know….I'm right there with ya!  Hopefully as our scans turn out good, our anxiety will lessen.

Keep your chin up!  You made it!  Hoping that all your other symptoms lessen and you can start feeling better soon!

Wendi

Wendi Lynn
          Participant

Congrats on the FINISH!!!!  I finished in December and know how you are feeling with the anxiety.  I thought the same thing about being in watch-n-wait mode.  And, of course, every little pain or new feeling is cancer (but that's only in my head).  I just had my second round of scans and will see the doctor tomorrow to get the results.  I've been pretty confident in the past, but I'm not feeling as confident this time.   I did have headaches right after I finished, but those were related to a sinus infection.   I can't help on the Thyroid front, but did want you to know….I'm right there with ya!  Hopefully as our scans turn out good, our anxiety will lessen.

Keep your chin up!  You made it!  Hoping that all your other symptoms lessen and you can start feeling better soon!

Wendi

Wendi Lynn
            Participant

Wendi

Rachel, I counted down the days til the interferon was over too. The wait-n-watch, in my experience, is with you for always now. I try to think of it as a good thing; listening to your body… A “down” day is just that, and I’ve learned to let it be JUST that. One day. And tomorrow will be better. The feeling of helplessness and not having control happened to me, also. But you DO have control. You’re here, and this is the most compassionate and intelligent group of people I’ve never met!!! LOL! As long as you stay in touch with what your body’s telling you, come here and ASK questions. Everyone will offer guidance and share experiences. Read and update yourself often, too, so you are “forearmed” when you see your doctors and ask, ask, ask what’s the best thing available for you. Will keep you in my prayers! Best of luck, and STAY TOUGH!!!!

PS you told your oncologist about thyroid meds, yes?

Rachel, I counted down the days til the interferon was over too. The wait-n-watch, in my experience, is with you for always now. I try to think of it as a good thing; listening to your body… A “down” day is just that, and I’ve learned to let it be JUST that. One day. And tomorrow will be better. The feeling of helplessness and not having control happened to me, also. But you DO have control. You’re here, and this is the most compassionate and intelligent group of people I’ve never met!!! LOL! As long as you stay in touch with what your body’s telling you, come here and ASK questions. Everyone will offer guidance and share experiences. Read and update yourself often, too, so you are “forearmed” when you see your doctors and ask, ask, ask what’s the best thing available for you. Will keep you in my prayers! Best of luck, and STAY TOUGH!!!!

triciad
              Participant

Rachel,

Congratulations are definitely in order regarding the full year of interferon.  It's not easy, but you made it!  I did the full year, too, and I remember getting some pretty bad headaches at the end.  There were so many times I wanted to quit, too.

I am sorry to hear about the thyroid.  I don't have any experiences there, but you should definitely talk to your doctor about how you are feeling.  Hopefully, he/she can do something about it.

All the best wishes for feeling like your old self…soon!

Tricia

triciad
                Participant

Rachel,

Congratulations are definitely in order regarding the full year of interferon.  It's not easy, but you made it!  I did the full year, too, and I remember getting some pretty bad headaches at the end.  There were so many times I wanted to quit, too.

I am sorry to hear about the thyroid.  I don't have any experiences there, but you should definitely talk to your doctor about how you are feeling.  Hopefully, he/she can do something about it.

Tricia

triciad
                  Participant

Rachel,

Tricia

scots
                    Participant
                      Congrats on completing the treatment. I felt the very same way. I often wanted to quit. It took me about a month to really feel good after completing the treatment

Scot

scots
                      Participant
                        Congrats on completing the treatment. I felt the very same way. I often wanted to quit. It took me about a month to really feel good after completing the treatment

Scot

scots
                        Participant

Scot

Viewing 11 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics