The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon and The taste of Food

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon and The taste of Food

Participant

I am in my last week of Interferon infusions. The side effects have been very mild (in my case) and I am very thankful for that. The one thing I have noticed is that food taste horrible and nothing tastes the same.

Will my taste return once I transition to the 3 shots weekly or is the change to my taste buds here to stay?

I am also interested to see how many of you completed the IV Infusions and decided not to continue with the 3 weekly shots? What made you make this decision?

Thanks,

Allen

I am in my last week of Interferon infusions. The side effects have been very mild (in my case) and I am very thankful for that. The one thing I have noticed is that food taste horrible and nothing tastes the same.

Will my taste return once I transition to the 3 shots weekly or is the change to my taste buds here to stay?

I am also interested to see how many of you completed the IV Infusions and decided not to continue with the 3 weekly shots? What made you make this decision?

Thanks,

Allen

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        akls
        Participant

Allen,

I did interferon 09/10.  The taste for me was the worst during the IV's.  It still was off during the 3x a week shots, but not as much as that 1st month.  I remember sweet things were the only things that tasted normal to me.  I lost 40 pounds that year.  I have put almost all of it back on since stopping interferon March 2010.  It took a good month being totally off interferon for my taste to get back to normal, but it did come all the way back.  I know it's awful trying to eat when things taste bad.  I found some things I would try would taste just like they should while others were just awful  Hang in there.  It does get better.  I ate a lot of rice and bland noodles with butter and salt and pepper during that month just to keep my energy up.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
          Participant

Allen,

I did interferon 09/10.  The taste for me was the worst during the IV's.  It still was off during the 3x a week shots, but not as much as that 1st month.  I remember sweet things were the only things that tasted normal to me.  I lost 40 pounds that year.  I have put almost all of it back on since stopping interferon March 2010.  It took a good month being totally off interferon for my taste to get back to normal, but it did come all the way back.  I know it's awful trying to eat when things taste bad.  I found some things I would try would taste just like they should while others were just awful  Hang in there.  It does get better.  I ate a lot of rice and bland noodles with butter and salt and pepper during that month just to keep my energy up.

Amy S. in Michigan

MariaH
            Participant

Dear Allen,

Rest assure, your taste buds will return.  Dave did the injections, as according to the onc at the time, there was no option.  You either did the interferon or not.  However, his taste buds didn't return until after he finished the injections.  I still remember going out to dinner after he finished, and he was so excited that steak actually tasted like steak!

The maintenance year for Dave was rough, but not impossible.  And if he wanted to take a break, he did (vacation with the kids and such). 

Best wishes on whichever you decide,

Maria

MariaH
              Participant

Dear Allen,

Rest assure, your taste buds will return.  Dave did the injections, as according to the onc at the time, there was no option.  You either did the interferon or not.  However, his taste buds didn't return until after he finished the injections.  I still remember going out to dinner after he finished, and he was so excited that steak actually tasted like steak!

The maintenance year for Dave was rough, but not impossible.  And if he wanted to take a break, he did (vacation with the kids and such). 

Best wishes on whichever you decide,

Maria

triciad
                Participant

Allen,

I did the full year of interferon.  I agree with Amy.  Most everything tasted like cardboard to me.  I learned to eat a lot of sweets…whatever I could get down.  It lasted for a few months after treatment ended, but I finally got my taste back. 

I found sweets, lemons, and Slurpees to have the most taste.  Good luck…you can do it!

Tricia

triciad
                  Participant

Allen,

I did the full year of interferon.  I agree with Amy.  Most everything tasted like cardboard to me.  I learned to eat a lot of sweets…whatever I could get down.  It lasted for a few months after treatment ended, but I finally got my taste back. 

I found sweets, lemons, and Slurpees to have the most taste.  Good luck…you can do it!

Tricia

gossteach
                    Participant

Hey Allen- Unfortunaltely, the bad tasting food sticks around after the first month. I am currently in my 9th month and still don't have my taste buds back. I have been able to eat sweet fruit and cereal, but nothing else has any taste. I've lost about 45 pounds. 

I'll be thinking about you in your last week of infusions:) Let me know if you have any questions about the treatment as you progress.

Michelle 

gossteach
                      Participant

Hey Allen- Unfortunaltely, the bad tasting food sticks around after the first month. I am currently in my 9th month and still don't have my taste buds back. I have been able to eat sweet fruit and cereal, but nothing else has any taste. I've lost about 45 pounds. 

I'll be thinking about you in your last week of infusions:) Let me know if you have any questions about the treatment as you progress.

Michelle 

nicoli
                        Participant

Hi, just gonna jump in even though I didn't really do interferon. I did biochemo and full scalp radiation and both effected my taste. With biochemo, nothing tasted good and with radiation my sweet and salty buds were gone. Both times the taste came back but it took a few months.

So don't be surprised if it happens to you again, depending on your treatment plans.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                          Participant

Hi, just gonna jump in even though I didn't really do interferon. I did biochemo and full scalp radiation and both effected my taste. With biochemo, nothing tasted good and with radiation my sweet and salty buds were gone. Both times the taste came back but it took a few months.

So don't be surprised if it happens to you again, depending on your treatment plans.

Nicki, Stage 3b

scots
                            Participant

Allen,

I'm currently into 9 months of the 11 month self injections.  Everything tasted funny during the HD treatment and continued through about the first 6 months of self injections.   Now certain foods taste better so I'm hoping when I finish the treatment my taste will come back.  My oncologist also changed me from 3 injections a week to 2 injections early on in my LD treatment because I was having such a rough time with the ld injections. 

scot

scots
                              Participant

Allen,

I'm currently into 9 months of the 11 month self injections.  Everything tasted funny during the HD treatment and continued through about the first 6 months of self injections.   Now certain foods taste better so I'm hoping when I finish the treatment my taste will come back.  My oncologist also changed me from 3 injections a week to 2 injections early on in my LD treatment because I was having such a rough time with the ld injections. 

scot

PeterO
                                Participant

Hi Allen: I managed to complete the infusions and about three months of injections and then had to quit because of a perilously low white blood cell count. I was ambivalent about the maintenance schedule anyway. No regrets about quitting. That was three years ago. I didn't have much of an appetite, at least partly because the taste of most foods simply wasn't appealing. The good news is that my appetite returned almost immediately after I stopped treatment. I hope things work out for you.

PeterO
                                  Participant

Hi Allen: I managed to complete the infusions and about three months of injections and then had to quit because of a perilously low white blood cell count. I was ambivalent about the maintenance schedule anyway. No regrets about quitting. That was three years ago. I didn't have much of an appetite, at least partly because the taste of most foods simply wasn't appealing. The good news is that my appetite returned almost immediately after I stopped treatment. I hope things work out for you.

Lauri England
                                    Participant

I am 9 months into Interferon with 2 months to go and food does not taste the same.  I can not take a lot of spices and I love spices.  I also stick to sweet things.  I do notice that gum helps a lot with taste in your mouth as well.

Lauri England
                                      Participant

I am 9 months into Interferon with 2 months to go and food does not taste the same.  I can not take a lot of spices and I love spices.  I also stick to sweet things.  I do notice that gum helps a lot with taste in your mouth as well.

djpayn
                                        Participant

My docs told me not to eat any foods that i loved while doing INF – your tastebuds will return, but there will be some foods that you wont want to eat anymore cuz the INF changed the taste for you. good luck!!

djpayn
                                          Participant

My docs told me not to eat any foods that i loved while doing INF – your tastebuds will return, but there will be some foods that you wont want to eat anymore cuz the INF changed the taste for you. good luck!!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics