The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon and teeth

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon and teeth

Participant

Silly question?

Stopped  self inj interferon back in Aug/Sept 2010 due to recurrence.  NEVER had issues with my teeth…until last week.  I was sneaking a bite of my  daughters cereal and BAM! a piece of my last upper molar came off!  Hmmm….

Did it spite me b/c I was sneaking a bite or could it be interferon related after 6 mths?  Or…maybe I'm just getting old – ha!ha!  Just curious.  I do have a dental appt on Monday morning – just ANOTHER doctor to add to the list!

Thanks for any help!

Laurie

Silly question?

Stopped  self inj interferon back in Aug/Sept 2010 due to recurrence.  NEVER had issues with my teeth…until last week.  I was sneaking a bite of my  daughters cereal and BAM! a piece of my last upper molar came off!  Hmmm….

Did it spite me b/c I was sneaking a bite or could it be interferon related after 6 mths?  Or…maybe I'm just getting old – ha!ha!  Just curious.  I do have a dental appt on Monday morning – just ANOTHER doctor to add to the list!

Thanks for any help!

Laurie

PS – last dental appt was 2 yrs ago (was a little busy w/ mel since then), but had gone regularly.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        ChrisTheWilsonZoo
        Participant

I had oral problems throughout my treatment with interferon.  Interferon caused extremely dry mouth for me, which resulted in frequent cases of oral thrush.  I also experienced VERY sensitive gums, which caused me to probably be less careful with my dental hygiene than usual.  However, I still made sure to make my twice annual cleaning appointments!  And, my dentist prescribed what he calls "Magic Mouthwash" to help with the sensitive gums (it has lidocaine in it to numb your gums so you can more easily brush/floss your teeth).

During interferon treatment, I developed a new cavity – first in a very long time.  When the dentist went to fill it turned out to actually need a root canal!  The tooth was actually infected, but my immune system was so compromised, I wasn't showing any signs of infection.  It wasn't until the tooth wouldn't respond to the local anesthetic that the dentist realized there was more going on (when a tooth is infected, its nerves often won't respond to the local anethetic and "numb" properly).  It took 2 oral antibiotics and a round of IV antibiotics to finally knock out the infection (and a month off the interferon)!

After treatment, I ended up with still another cavity.  THEN came the big problem – I developed tooth decay under two existing crowns.  Both crowns had to be removed, the decay drilled out, and new crowns cast and put on.

So, IMO, I would say yes, interferon can have an impact on your dental health.  Personally, I believe dental issues are an unspoken side-effect of cancer treatment.  Dry mouth and other oral issues are frequent side-effects of chemo/immunotherapy, and they all can have long-term affects on your teeth that may not show up until months/years down the road.

But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth…

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
          Participant

I had oral problems throughout my treatment with interferon.  Interferon caused extremely dry mouth for me, which resulted in frequent cases of oral thrush.  I also experienced VERY sensitive gums, which caused me to probably be less careful with my dental hygiene than usual.  However, I still made sure to make my twice annual cleaning appointments!  And, my dentist prescribed what he calls "Magic Mouthwash" to help with the sensitive gums (it has lidocaine in it to numb your gums so you can more easily brush/floss your teeth).

During interferon treatment, I developed a new cavity – first in a very long time.  When the dentist went to fill it turned out to actually need a root canal!  The tooth was actually infected, but my immune system was so compromised, I wasn't showing any signs of infection.  It wasn't until the tooth wouldn't respond to the local anesthetic that the dentist realized there was more going on (when a tooth is infected, its nerves often won't respond to the local anethetic and "numb" properly).  It took 2 oral antibiotics and a round of IV antibiotics to finally knock out the infection (and a month off the interferon)!

After treatment, I ended up with still another cavity.  THEN came the big problem – I developed tooth decay under two existing crowns.  Both crowns had to be removed, the decay drilled out, and new crowns cast and put on.

So, IMO, I would say yes, interferon can have an impact on your dental health.  Personally, I believe dental issues are an unspoken side-effect of cancer treatment.  Dry mouth and other oral issues are frequent side-effects of chemo/immunotherapy, and they all can have long-term affects on your teeth that may not show up until months/years down the road.

But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth…

Laurie from maine
            Participant

hi.,

I also had the dry mouth so my dentist gave me a special toothpaste to use while on interferon.    They did tell me that it seemed my teeth were breaking down quicker than normal teeth and toothpaste was supposed to help.  I didnt have any teeth break or fall out, but I only did interferon for 5 months.  Since being off interferon my gums and teeth seem to be doing much better.  One thing I found out is that people should tell their dentist at the time  they schedule cleanings that they are doing interferon, because  I had a cleaning done and that caused a UTI which I found out afterwards that they "suggest" you to go on an antibiodic before having a cleaning to prevent infections.  good luck, sorry that is happening.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
              Participant

hi.,

I also had the dry mouth so my dentist gave me a special toothpaste to use while on interferon.    They did tell me that it seemed my teeth were breaking down quicker than normal teeth and toothpaste was supposed to help.  I didnt have any teeth break or fall out, but I only did interferon for 5 months.  Since being off interferon my gums and teeth seem to be doing much better.  One thing I found out is that people should tell their dentist at the time  they schedule cleanings that they are doing interferon, because  I had a cleaning done and that caused a UTI which I found out afterwards that they "suggest" you to go on an antibiodic before having a cleaning to prevent infections.  good luck, sorry that is happening.

laurie from maine

CKasper
                Participant

Oral, digestive, joint, swelling, rashes, cataracts, all these are side effects of interferon….very caustic drug. 

The problem is…once you stop they don't generally go away.  I've been dealing with these problems since doing high dose inf therapy in 2006.

But then everyone is different.

C

CKasper
                  Participant

Oral, digestive, joint, swelling, rashes, cataracts, all these are side effects of interferon….very caustic drug. 

The problem is…once you stop they don't generally go away.  I've been dealing with these problems since doing high dose inf therapy in 2006.

But then everyone is different.

C

Lauri England
                    Participant

I have been on Interferon 3 times a week and am in my 7th month and I experience extreme dry mouth.  I have had one Molar break off.  My mouth is sore all the time.  If I eat spicy food I get soars on the roof of my mouth.  It sucks.  Defenant side effects of Interferon.

munculitza
                        Participant

Indeed teeth are hard to keep white, and all those natural solutions actually in time ruin your teeth. I am a dentist in Tucson and I know, do not whiten your teeth in any way, just brush daily.

munculitza
                          Participant

Indeed teeth are hard to keep white, and all those natural solutions actually in time ruin your teeth. I am a dentist in Tucson and I know, do not whiten your teeth in any way, just brush daily.

Lauri England
                          Participant

I have been on Interferon 3 times a week and am in my 7th month and I experience extreme dry mouth.  I have had one Molar break off.  My mouth is sore all the time.  If I eat spicy food I get soars on the roof of my mouth.  It sucks.  Defenant side effects of Interferon.

dian in spokane
                            Participant

Interferon does impact the teeth and mouth. It's late now to be telling you, but I am responding for the sake of others, just starting interferon, who might see your topic heading and read up on it.

I'd highly recommend Biotene products. They make artificial saliva, toothpaste and gum among other things. I was addicted to that crappy gum while I was on interferon, which really helped

I've not heard of interferon causing teeth to break, but it wouldn't surprise me. Let your dentist know you were on interferon and ask what s/he thinks about it.

Having said that, I know plenty of people who have bitten into any number of things and taken a chunk out of a tooth or lost a tooth entirely. Could have absolutely nothing to do with intereron or the whimsy of whatever cereal hating God might be overlooking your sneaky food behavior 🙂

are you currently on some other kind of treatment for your recurrence?

dian in spokane
                              Participant

Interferon does impact the teeth and mouth. It's late now to be telling you, but I am responding for the sake of others, just starting interferon, who might see your topic heading and read up on it.

I'd highly recommend Biotene products. They make artificial saliva, toothpaste and gum among other things. I was addicted to that crappy gum while I was on interferon, which really helped

I've not heard of interferon causing teeth to break, but it wouldn't surprise me. Let your dentist know you were on interferon and ask what s/he thinks about it.

Having said that, I know plenty of people who have bitten into any number of things and taken a chunk out of a tooth or lost a tooth entirely. Could have absolutely nothing to do with intereron or the whimsy of whatever cereal hating God might be overlooking your sneaky food behavior 🙂

are you currently on some other kind of treatment for your recurrence?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics