The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon and Infertility

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon and Infertility

Participant

I've been seeing a lot lately that people have had issues with infertility after doing interferon.  This terrifies me!  I've been doing interferon for 9 months now, I'm 30 years old and my husband and I have every hope to have children some day.  Have any of you struggled with infertility as a direct result of the interferon?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cooper
        Participant

This article says that infertility is a side effect, it is by American Cancer Society:  http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/guidetocancerdrugs/interferons-alfa

gaby
            Participant

Hi!

Yes, unfortunately interferon causes infertility.

My husband is with pegylated interferon since October 2012, He is stage 3a.  Unfortunately interferon caused infertility to him.  I even made ​​2 IVF (in vitro-ICSI), but I could not get pregnant even with IVF (ICSI). The spermograms my husband are getting worse ….

When my husband was ill with melanoma us even we did not have children .. And now the dream of parenthood will disappear

The only good thing is that my husband is giving to fight melanoma

Regards

Gaby (from argentina)

gaby
              Participant

Hi!

My husband is with pegylated interferon since October 2012, He is stage 3a.  Unfortunately interferon caused infertility to him.  I even made ​​2 IVF (in vitro-ICSI), but I could not get pregnant even with IVF (ICSI). The spermograms my husband are getting worse ….

When my husband was ill with melanoma us even we did not have children .. And now the dream of parenthood will disappear

Regards

Gaby (from argentina)

gaby
                Participant

Hi!

Regards

Gaby (from argentina)

Cooper
                Participant

This article says that infertility is a side effect, it is by American Cancer Society:  http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/guidetocancerdrugs/interferons-alfa

Cooper
                  Participant

Fen
                    Participant

Actually, the website says the following:

If you think you might want to have children in the future. This drug can affect fertility. Talk with your doctor about the possible risk with this drug and the options that may preserve your ability to have children.

It doesn't cite any sources.

Fen
                      Participant

If you think you might want to have children in the future. This drug can affect fertility. Talk with your doctor about the possible risk with this drug and the options that may preserve your ability to have children.

Fen
                        Participant

Thandster
                          Participant

Issues with fertility is one of many POSSIBLE side effects of interferon. It is one of the reasons I chose not to do it when it was offered. It was not the main reason, but it played in my decision making.   But as with side effects for anything, every person will respond differently. Just because it is a possible side effect doesnt mean you wont be able to have children. I have read many stories of people having children after interferon many of whom posted on this site. Most of those posts were from 2010 and before, because MANY more people actually did the interferon back then.  But wait until you're finished with the interferon, give your body time to recover, and when you are ready, go ahead and try to get pregnant. Just don't get ahead of yourself with worry. One step at a time.

Good luck to you!!

Lucky Wrenn
                              Participant

I was diagnosised with Melanoma when I was 17 and underwent surgery and one year of interferon treatment. I completed my entire treatment in July 2001. October of 2002 I gave birth to a very healthy son, in October 2007 I gave birth to a very healthy daughter, and in 2010 my youngest daughter was born healthy as the rest. I did not have any issues becoming pregnant, carrying or delivering any of my children, after my complete interferon treatment. I am now turning 32 and have not had a reoccurance of Melanoma. Every person responds a bit differently to their treatment. I agree with Thandster – complete your treatment, let your body recover and than start to plan your pregnancy. Believe me, as a parent you will spend many, many hours in worry related thinking, so take this time to know you are doing the best possible thing for your future family and take good care of yourself! You deserve it!! 

Lucky Wrenn
                                Participant

I was diagnosised with Melanoma when I was 17 and underwent surgery and one year of interferon treatment. I completed my entire treatment in July 2001. October of 2002 I gave birth to a very healthy son, in October 2007 I gave birth to a very healthy daughter, and in 2010 my youngest daughter was born healthy as the rest. I did not have any issues becoming pregnant, carrying or delivering any of my children, after my complete interferon treatment. I am now turning 32 and have not had a reoccurance of Melanoma. Every person responds a bit differently to their treatment. I agree with Thandster – complete your treatment, let your body recover and than start to plan your pregnancy. Believe me, as a parent you will spend many, many hours in worry related thinking, so take this time to know you are doing the best possible thing for your future family and take good care of yourself! You deserve it!! 

Lucky Wrenn
                                  Participant

Thandster
                                  Participant

Issues with fertility is one of many POSSIBLE side effects of interferon. It is one of the reasons I chose not to do it when it was offered. It was not the main reason, but it played in my decision making.   But as with side effects for anything, every person will respond differently. Just because it is a possible side effect doesnt mean you wont be able to have children. I have read many stories of people having children after interferon many of whom posted on this site. Most of those posts were from 2010 and before, because MANY more people actually did the interferon back then.  But wait until you're finished with the interferon, give your body time to recover, and when you are ready, go ahead and try to get pregnant. Just don't get ahead of yourself with worry. One step at a time.

Good luck to you!!

Thandster
                                    Participant

Good luck to you!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics