The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon alpha therapy following questionable diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon alpha therapy following questionable diagnosis

Participant

Hey guys,

I'm a bit lost and was hoping for some advice. I was diagnosed with a benign spitz naevus at the age of 13 which was surgically removed back then. In 2010 i noticed a small lump on the edge of the scar tissue from the old excision and had it removed. Back then it was identified as excess scar tissue (hyperplastic scar tissue). The following years the lump returned and was removed 3 times (always approx 12 months in between) with identical characterization.

Now in 2014 the last excision was reviewed with more care and identified as a desmoplastic melanoma with slightly increased proliferation no ulceration and no apparent metastasis in the draining sentinels, no circulating S100 in the bloodstream and a clear sonography.

Due to the fact that the tumor was mistaken for hyperplastic scar tissue there was never a clear staging or assessment of invasion depth.

After the last excision the area stayed free of any unusual changes and i entered a regular postoperative screening schedule. 

Now to the crucial part: My treating institution scheduled me with a low dose intron-A therapy which is to be continued for 18 months. I am on it for a month now and the side effects are very very very unpleasent.

To my understanding the overall benefit of Interferon for survival was seldomly demonstrated. 

Does it make sense to continue the treatment and risk my general good health and healthy mental state (retinal damage/depression/general immunosuppression)? I would suspect that the reoccuring growth was due to the fact that it was never fully removed and always still there right after surgery. Overall malignancy was suspected but not finally clearly demonstrated. 

I can not get a definite statment from my responsible institution.. their remark was that they have to recommend it when the staging is not clear.

Best,

Lars

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ginger8888
        Participant

Have they done any scans?…I did the 30 day HD interferon with some fatigue but it did not work for me so i just finished Yervoy and will have scans on the 23rd..Good luck

Ginger8888
          Participant

Have they done any scans?…I did the 30 day HD interferon with some fatigue but it did not work for me so i just finished Yervoy and will have scans on the 23rd..Good luck

none1234
              Participant

Hi, no scans yet. Only the ultrasonic of arm, shoulder and upper body. They will be setting up an MRT in about 5 months but till then this is it. Best of luck for your scan.

Ginger8888
                Participant

Thank you so much..I hope you find the answers you're looking for..

Ginger8888
                  Participant

Ginger8888
                    Participant

none1234
                      Participant

Hi, no scans yet. Only the ultrasonic of arm, shoulder and upper body. They will be setting up an MRT in about 5 months but till then this is it. Best of luck for your scan.

none1234
                        Participant

Ginger8888
                        Participant

Janner
                          Participant

Helpful info on whether or not to do Interferon:

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/content/10/9/739.full

none1234
                              Participant

Thanks. That's pretty much consistent with the publications I read.

none1234
                                Participant

none1234
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

Janner
                                    Participant

Melissag0624
                                      Participant
                                        My question to you is can you live with not doing anything? My answer to that question was no and that’s why no matter what my final outcome is I know looking back I did everything possible to beat this. It is miserable but the alternative to me was more miserable. Keep trucking, it won’t last forever.
                                        Melissag0624
                                        Participant
                                          My question to you is can you live with not doing anything? My answer to that question was no and that’s why no matter what my final outcome is I know looking back I did everything possible to beat this. It is miserable but the alternative to me was more miserable. Keep trucking, it won’t last forever.
                                          Melissag0624
                                          Participant
                                        Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics