The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon Alfa

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon Alfa

Participant

Looking for patients that are either being currently being treated with interferon alfa or have been on this drug to see how it affects them, it has been recommended that I use this therpy and will go back and see myDr. on Dec 13th to give him my answer.    Any replies would be most appreciated at this time.

Looking for patients that are either being currently being treated with interferon alfa or have been on this drug to see how it affects them, it has been recommended that I use this therpy and will go back and see myDr. on Dec 13th to give him my answer.    Any replies would be most appreciated at this time.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        awg
        Participant

I am in my 6mo of Interferon treatment, currently 3 subQ injections per week.

The first dose during the high dose infusion (5 days a week for 20days) was uncomfortable. I had fever, chills and aches that night that were about 3 hr in duration and then it was gone. It is like having the Flu. After the first HD infusion I did not have these symptoms again with the HD infusion.

I had the same fever, chills and aches with the first subQ Injection. I did not have the symptoms again after the first SubQ injection.

I did notice a little dizziness but that dissipated around the 3 month of treatment.

I also has mild nausea (took zophran) but I have been able to stop zophran about 5 weeks ago.

I understand that each person is different and have different symptoms as will as duration of symptoms.

I stay well hydrated and take Aleve twice a day.

As a side note I had my 6mo PETCT today and was still NED!

Best wishes on your treatment decision.

Allen

Stage III

Mike A
            Participant

My situation and response to interferon were almost exactly as Allen's – tough reaction on first days of high dose and subQ, but very tolerable after that.   I'm in 4th month of subQ.

The decision to do interferon was a tough one.  As you've read, everyone reacts somewhat differently and the benefits are questionable.  My approach was to go ahead and try it and if the side effects became unbearable, I'd stop.  I figured, what's there to lose.  So far, so good.

Good luck !

Mike

Mike A
              Participant

My situation and response to interferon were almost exactly as Allen's – tough reaction on first days of high dose and subQ, but very tolerable after that.   I'm in 4th month of subQ.

The decision to do interferon was a tough one.  As you've read, everyone reacts somewhat differently and the benefits are questionable.  My approach was to go ahead and try it and if the side effects became unbearable, I'd stop.  I figured, what's there to lose.  So far, so good.

Good luck !

Mike

Mike A
                Participant

Good luck !

Mike

awg
                Participant

The first dose during the high dose infusion (5 days a week for 20days) was uncomfortable. I had fever, chills and aches that night that were about 3 hr in duration and then it was gone. It is like having the Flu. After the first HD infusion I did not have these symptoms again with the HD infusion.

I had the same fever, chills and aches with the first subQ Injection. I did not have the symptoms again after the first SubQ injection.

I did notice a little dizziness but that dissipated around the 3 month of treatment.

I also has mild nausea (took zophran) but I have been able to stop zophran about 5 weeks ago.

I understand that each person is different and have different symptoms as will as duration of symptoms.

Allen

Stage III

awg
                  Participant

Allen

Stage III

Lauri England
                    Participant

I completed 10 1/2 months of interferon treatment that ended 3 months ago.  I have a lot of information posted about my experiences if you want to read some of them.  So far I am NED and feel 100% better.  Good luck with your decision and remenber everyone is different and experience different side effects.  My worse side effects were depression which I took prozac for and it helped some.  I also felt aggressive and very moody.  I was very forgetful and would get confused very easily.  This all went away about 1 month after stopping the treatments.

Lauri England
                      Participant

I completed 10 1/2 months of interferon treatment that ended 3 months ago.  I have a lot of information posted about my experiences if you want to read some of them.  So far I am NED and feel 100% better.  Good luck with your decision and remenber everyone is different and experience different side effects.  My worse side effects were depression which I took prozac for and it helped some.  I also felt aggressive and very moody.  I was very forgetful and would get confused very easily.  This all went away about 1 month after stopping the treatments.

Lauri England
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics