The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interesting Jeff Patterson post from 1996 on MPIP.-Vitamins/Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Interesting Jeff Patterson post from 1996 on MPIP.-Vitamins/Melanoma

Participant

A WEB search of Jeff Patterson and Melanoma found many interesting articles.

http://mpip.org/articles/alt.html

Author: Jeff Patterson Date: January 8, 1996 –>

A WEB search of Jeff Patterson and Melanoma found many interesting articles.

http://mpip.org/articles/alt.html

Author: Jeff Patterson Date: January 8, 1996 –>

***************************************************************************
      *                      CITATIONS AND ABSTRACTS                            *
      *                                                                         *
      *                  FROM THE NCI'S CANCERLIT DATABASE                      *
      *                                                                         *
      ***************************************************************************

UI  - 95183366
      AU  - Prasad KN; Hernandez C; Edwards-Prasad J; Nelson J; Borus T; Robinson WA
      TI  - Modification of the effect of tamoxifen, cis-platin, DTIC, and interferon
      -
            -alpha 2b on human melanoma cells in culture by a mixture of vitamins.
      SO  - Nutr Cancer 1994;22(3):233-45
      AD  - Department of Radiology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center,
            Denver 80262.
      AB  - The effect of a mixture of vitamins in modifying the efficacy of
            commonly used drugs in the treatment of human melanoma has not been
            studied. Vitamin C and d-alpha-tocopheryl succinate (alpha-TS) alone
            reduced the growth of human melanoma (SK-30) cells in culture,
            whereas beta-carotene (BC), 13-cis-retinoic acid (RA), or sodium
            selenite alone was ineffective. RA caused morphological changes, as
            evidenced by flattening of cells and formation of short cytoplasmic
            processes. A mixture of four vitamins (vitamin C, BC, alpha-TS, and
            RA) was more effective in reducing growth of human melanoma cells
            than a mixture of three vitamins. The growth-inhibitory effect of
            cis-platin, decarbazine, tamoxifen, and recombinant interferon-alpha
            2b was enhanced by vitamin C alone, a mixture of three vitamins (BC,
            alpha-TS, and RA), and a mixture of four vitamins (vitamin C, BC,
            alpha-TS, and RA) that contained 50 micrograms/ml of vitamin C. These
            data show that a mixture of three or four vitamins can enhance the
            growth-inhibitory effect of currently used chemotherapeutic agents on
            human melanoma cells.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MariaH
        Participant

This makes me wonder about my husband's sudden craving of oranges.  He's doing Temodar.  Maybe it's his body telling him something?

MariaH
            Participant

And by the way, since I can't create a topic (according to MPIP, I am "spam"), I haven't been able to update on him.  As of last week, the Temodar has kept him stable – no new growth.  While we were hoping for reduction, we'll take it.  See the onc tomorrow to see if he will continue on the Tem or move to a clinical with anti-pd1 (doesn't qualify for Curetechs yet, stable disease) or Yervoy.

Sorry Jerry, didn't mean to hijack your post – my apologies.  I'm just at my wits end with this.  I contacted MRF, and they can't help.  I just wish it was like the old way – especially because new patients were listed by the date they joined.  Sometimes bigger isn't better.

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Maria, I wonder if you might be able to create a topic if you re-registered? Could be worth trying.

Thanks for the update on your husband. Stable is certainly good news!

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Maria, I wonder if you might be able to create a topic if you re-registered? Could be worth trying.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Interessting to learn that I'm not the only one having trouble posting a new topic on the BB. 

No problem with your addiing your info any way you can get it posted.

i found that I had to remove the URL from an information post I was making to get  it accepted.  I have notified Shelly Moneer at the MRF.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Interessting to learn that I'm not the only one having trouble posting a new topic on the BB. 

i found that I had to remove the URL from an information post I was making to get  it accepted.  I have notified Shelly Moneer at the MRF.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

MariaH
                          Participant

And by the way, since I can't create a topic (according to MPIP, I am "spam"), I haven't been able to update on him.  As of last week, the Temodar has kept him stable – no new growth.  While we were hoping for reduction, we'll take it.  See the onc tomorrow to see if he will continue on the Tem or move to a clinical with anti-pd1 (doesn't qualify for Curetechs yet, stable disease) or Yervoy.

Sorry Jerry, didn't mean to hijack your post – my apologies.  I'm just at my wits end with this.  I contacted MRF, and they can't help.  I just wish it was like the old way – especially because new patients were listed by the date they joined.  Sometimes bigger isn't better.

MariaH
                            Participant

MariaH
                            Participant

This makes me wonder about my husband's sudden craving of oranges.  He's doing Temodar.  Maybe it's his body telling him something?

MariaH
                              Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics