The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Insurance issues

Forums General Melanoma Community Insurance issues

Participant

I was just denied for insurance due to a stage 1 melanoma from 3 yrs ago. Mine was very thin. I think it was 1a  and the thinnest the doctor had ever seen. I would like to send a letter to the insurance company as I don't think I am a huge risk. I did have a lymph node taken out due to the doctor being able to "feel one" in my groin. The lymph node was of normal size and negative. The surgeon who took it out said they could feel it because I am thin and in shape.

I was just denied for insurance due to a stage 1 melanoma from 3 yrs ago. Mine was very thin. I think it was 1a  and the thinnest the doctor had ever seen. I would like to send a letter to the insurance company as I don't think I am a huge risk. I did have a lymph node taken out due to the doctor being able to "feel one" in my groin. The lymph node was of normal size and negative. The surgeon who took it out said they could feel it because I am thin and in shape. She also stated lymph nodes can enlarge as the bodies natural response to having been insulted.- as in an excision close by. Both of these diagnosis have blocked me from purchasing insurance. Any suggestions as to facts I could use in my letter?

Thanks,

mollysue

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Are you talking life insurance or health insurance? 

If life insurance unfortunately this is common.  Your best chance is if you are in some form of group.  When I was stage IA I was even rejected by the extra insurance offered by my employer which was the state! 

Linda

mollysue
            Participant

Hi Linda,

I'm talking about health insurance. I had the same policy thru work for 20 yrs and then my employer decided they didn't want any people with my job title and we are all gone just like that. Now I have to find family coverage for my family.

Janner
              Participant

Melanoma is a dirty word in the insurance field.  You may not be able to find any decently priced health insurance for yourself outside your state's high risk pool insurance.  Not every state has it, but it's some place to check.  You might try insuring your family without you and then see if you can find a policy for you independent of your family.  As for life insurance, you'll be screwed there, too.  Time will help, but 3 years isn't a long history.  I'm looking forward to being 10 years out from my last primary and thought there might be a possibility of getting additional life insurance.  I know I won't get health insurance based on 3 melanoma primaries.  I guess it's one reason I want universal health care – so people like us might be able to get insurance should something catastrophic happen.  (I lost my job, too, so can relate).

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Melanoma is a dirty word in the insurance field.  You may not be able to find any decently priced health insurance for yourself outside your state's high risk pool insurance.  Not every state has it, but it's some place to check.  You might try insuring your family without you and then see if you can find a policy for you independent of your family.  As for life insurance, you'll be screwed there, too.  Time will help, but 3 years isn't a long history.  I'm looking forward to being 10 years out from my last primary and thought there might be a possibility of getting additional life insurance.  I know I won't get health insurance based on 3 melanoma primaries.  I guess it's one reason I want universal health care – so people like us might be able to get insurance should something catastrophic happen.  (I lost my job, too, so can relate).

Best wishes,

Janner

mollysue
                  Participant

Hi Janner,

I thought that if you had insitu or stage 1 melanoma you were considered a low risk and something like 95-100% of no reoccurence if it had been 2 yrs.  I didn't think I was at a much greater risk than anyone from the general population.

thanks,

Mollysue

Janner
                    Participant

You and I know the risk is small, but that risk is too big for insurance companies.  They know that melanoma can and does come back years later.  It's all about the almighty $$$, and melanoma imposes too big a risk. 

I also echo Linda's statement.  If you can get Cobra and keep continuous coverage, that's the best thing.  It will be very expensive, but hopefully you can find a job with coverage soon.

Best wishes,

Janner

mollysue
                      Participant

Thanks Janner,

I'll go to my former employer Monday. I'll find out what the hang up is on cobra. I'm sorry you lost your job as well. That really is hard to deal with…at least it is for me. I talked with my sister and she said insurance companies can deny you for what ever they want to. She has her own business and one of her employers was denied for allergies.

Mollysue

mollysue
                        Participant

Thanks Janner,

I'll go to my former employer Monday. I'll find out what the hang up is on cobra. I'm sorry you lost your job as well. That really is hard to deal with…at least it is for me. I talked with my sister and she said insurance companies can deny you for what ever they want to. She has her own business and one of her employers was denied for allergies.

Mollysue

Janner
                          Participant

You and I know the risk is small, but that risk is too big for insurance companies.  They know that melanoma can and does come back years later.  It's all about the almighty $$$, and melanoma imposes too big a risk. 

I also echo Linda's statement.  If you can get Cobra and keep continuous coverage, that's the best thing.  It will be very expensive, but hopefully you can find a job with coverage soon.

Best wishes,

Janner

mollysue
                            Participant

Hi Janner,

I thought that if you had insitu or stage 1 melanoma you were considered a low risk and something like 95-100% of no reoccurence if it had been 2 yrs.  I didn't think I was at a much greater risk than anyone from the general population.

thanks,

Mollysue

Charlie S
                              Participant

You did not mention when you left your job.  Is Cobra an option?  Also, what State are you in?    

Obamacare is still evolving and some States are further along the curve than others.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                Participant

You did not mention when you left your job.  Is Cobra an option?  Also, what State are you in?    

Obamacare is still evolving and some States are further along the curve than others.

Cheers,

Charlie S

mollysue
                                  Participant

My job was done end of June. I am still waiting for the cobra paperwork to come. I was trying to find a reasonable policy. I'm from WI.

thanks,

mollysue

lhaley
                                    Participant

I know that Cobra will break you but don't let your insurance lapse!! You need to have that credible coverage letter that will carry you over when you find another policy.  I don't know if this is available to you or if you would consider it, a few years my son lost his job and couldn't get Cobra because the company went bankrupt. His wife had a job that didn't offer insurance and she was pregnant.  He went back to school and got his masters degree. The school offered insurance and that carried them over until both of them found better jobs. It was a win-win situation for them because now he is finishing his MBA.

Good luck!  Thin melanoma's aren't as likely to come back metasticized but it does happen. Be vigilent and learn your body.

Linda

Lisa13
                                      Participant

That really doesn't make sense to me why they would deny you. As Janner said, you're low risk, but perhaps any kind of risk makes insurance companies a bit nervous to insure you.

I live in Canada and have short and long term disability with my work. I get paid a salary every month, plus benefits and this will last until I'm better, retired or dead. As long as I have medical reason to not to be working, the insurance company keeps paying.  This is one of the perks of living in Canada – pretty good health care system, plus we never have to pay for scans, etc.

I really hope the insurance issues work out for you. I also wish you many years of NED!

Lisa

Lisa13
                                        Participant

That really doesn't make sense to me why they would deny you. As Janner said, you're low risk, but perhaps any kind of risk makes insurance companies a bit nervous to insure you.

I live in Canada and have short and long term disability with my work. I get paid a salary every month, plus benefits and this will last until I'm better, retired or dead. As long as I have medical reason to not to be working, the insurance company keeps paying.  This is one of the perks of living in Canada – pretty good health care system, plus we never have to pay for scans, etc.

I really hope the insurance issues work out for you. I also wish you many years of NED!

Lisa

lhaley
                                          Participant

I know that Cobra will break you but don't let your insurance lapse!! You need to have that credible coverage letter that will carry you over when you find another policy.  I don't know if this is available to you or if you would consider it, a few years my son lost his job and couldn't get Cobra because the company went bankrupt. His wife had a job that didn't offer insurance and she was pregnant.  He went back to school and got his masters degree. The school offered insurance and that carried them over until both of them found better jobs. It was a win-win situation for them because now he is finishing his MBA.

Good luck!  Thin melanoma's aren't as likely to come back metasticized but it does happen. Be vigilent and learn your body.

Linda

Charlie S
                                            Participant

Waiting for what?  Cobra paperwork can be done in a day or two max, do NOT fall prey to the employer trick of dragging it out then all of the sudden you do not qualify.

GET the Cobra so you have continuing coverage.  I can not emphasize how important the continuos coverage is.  Lose that and you are really screwed.  

There is no reason for a delay, your employer(previous) makes a phone call, sends a fax, you sign and pay.  Should not take more than 96 hours,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless your previous employer is hoping you go away and don't sign off in time.

My suggestion, send a fax, send an e-mail and send a registered letter to your previous employer that you are, as of this date, asserting your Cobra rights/

Don't play with this.  Assert Cobra NOW.  Sure it may bust your budget this month, but you MUST continue coverage.

You would have to be from Wisconsin !  Smirk.

No kidding though, kick your Cobra rights to your former employer now and in writing.  By doing so, this will set the stage for you to have a month to month window to come up with another plan, but DO NOT let it lapse because if you do, you are screwing your own pooch..

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                              Participant

Waiting for what?  Cobra paperwork can be done in a day or two max, do NOT fall prey to the employer trick of dragging it out then all of the sudden you do not qualify.

GET the Cobra so you have continuing coverage.  I can not emphasize how important the continuos coverage is.  Lose that and you are really screwed.  

There is no reason for a delay, your employer(previous) makes a phone call, sends a fax, you sign and pay.  Should not take more than 96 hours,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless your previous employer is hoping you go away and don't sign off in time.

My suggestion, send a fax, send an e-mail and send a registered letter to your previous employer that you are, as of this date, asserting your Cobra rights/

Don't play with this.  Assert Cobra NOW.  Sure it may bust your budget this month, but you MUST continue coverage.

You would have to be from Wisconsin !  Smirk.

No kidding though, kick your Cobra rights to your former employer now and in writing.  By doing so, this will set the stage for you to have a month to month window to come up with another plan, but DO NOT let it lapse because if you do, you are screwing your own pooch..

Cheers,

Charlie S

mollysue
                                                Participant

Hi Charlie,

My former employer told me I would get my cobra papers within 90 days and that I would get it in the mail. So you are saying I should call or visit them and ask them to expidite the process?

Mollysue

mollysue
                                                  Participant

Hi Charlie,

My former employer told me I would get my cobra papers within 90 days and that I would get it in the mail. So you are saying I should call or visit them and ask them to expidite the process?

Mollysue

Charlie S
                                                    Participant

Your former employer is full of shit for lack of a better description.

I told you how to deal with it and why.  Take it for what it's worth.  Your chance, your choice.

Charlie S

mollysue
                                                      Participant

Hi Charlie,

I'll go Monday and see what I can do to get the ball rolling. I do appreciate your help and I never would have thought that my former employer would not want me to have cobra. Why wouldn't they? I'm paying all of the premium. We here in WI are a bit naive ya know. Must be all of the brain freeze from below zero winters.smiley

Thanks to you and to all. I needed to hear what you all had to say. I do like this group!

Mollysue

Charlie S
                                                        Participant

Good Golly Miss Molly !

I told you what to do, why do you insist on being so passive?

I am really trying to help you, but you have this Cinderella mindset.  I don't get it.

Your former employer isn't going to do jack shit for you, what is it in your mind that thinks they will?

Harsh as it is, you are nothing but yesterday to them and a liability.

You want insurance or not?  If you do, you have options, but you are gonna have to get off this Polyana mindset and instead show some guts, stand up for yourself and hold your values true.

You want insurance and you have a way to continue it, but you apologize and wimp out……………………….many here would envy your plight.

Do something and quit bitching………………………..you have far more resources than many here.

That's all……….really

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                          Participant

Good Golly Miss Molly !

I told you what to do, why do you insist on being so passive?

I am really trying to help you, but you have this Cinderella mindset.  I don't get it.

Your former employer isn't going to do jack shit for you, what is it in your mind that thinks they will?

Harsh as it is, you are nothing but yesterday to them and a liability.

You want insurance or not?  If you do, you have options, but you are gonna have to get off this Polyana mindset and instead show some guts, stand up for yourself and hold your values true.

You want insurance and you have a way to continue it, but you apologize and wimp out……………………….many here would envy your plight.

Do something and quit bitching………………………..you have far more resources than many here.

That's all……….really

Charlie S

mollysue
                                                            Participant

Hi Charlie,

I'll go Monday and see what I can do to get the ball rolling. I do appreciate your help and I never would have thought that my former employer would not want me to have cobra. Why wouldn't they? I'm paying all of the premium. We here in WI are a bit naive ya know. Must be all of the brain freeze from below zero winters.smiley

Thanks to you and to all. I needed to hear what you all had to say. I do like this group!

Mollysue

Charlie S
                                                              Participant

Your former employer is full of shit for lack of a better description.

I told you how to deal with it and why.  Take it for what it's worth.  Your chance, your choice.

Charlie S

Dynasysman
                                                                Participant

Mollysue —

I'm an employer who deals with COBRA issues.  That is B-O-G-U-S (Charlie already used the word I'm truly thinking).  If they let you go, COBRA should kick in as soon as severance has ended.  The papers take a day or two.

Get angry.  Get aggressive.  These people are dirtbags.

Unless, of course, you work in WI for Koch Industries :>)  The Governor says they're the best, most trustworthy people on earth…and who could doubt anything Scott Walker says? ;>)

Seriously, get aggressive with these people.  They're taking you.

Dynasysman
                                                                  Participant

Mollysue —

I'm an employer who deals with COBRA issues.  That is B-O-G-U-S (Charlie already used the word I'm truly thinking).  If they let you go, COBRA should kick in as soon as severance has ended.  The papers take a day or two.

Get angry.  Get aggressive.  These people are dirtbags.

Unless, of course, you work in WI for Koch Industries :>)  The Governor says they're the best, most trustworthy people on earth…and who could doubt anything Scott Walker says? ;>)

Seriously, get aggressive with these people.  They're taking you.

mollysue
                                                                    Participant

My job was done end of June. I am still waiting for the cobra paperwork to come. I was trying to find a reasonable policy. I'm from WI.

thanks,

mollysue

mollysue
                                                                      Participant

Hi Linda,

I'm talking about health insurance. I had the same policy thru work for 20 yrs and then my employer decided they didn't want any people with my job title and we are all gone just like that. Now I have to find family coverage for my family.

lhaley
                                                                      Participant

Are you talking life insurance or health insurance? 

If life insurance unfortunately this is common.  Your best chance is if you are in some form of group.  When I was stage IA I was even rejected by the extra insurance offered by my employer which was the state! 

Linda

Ranisa
                                                                        Participant

I think the rule for continous coverage is 64 days.  As long as you have ins that didn't lapse within the time greater than that 64 days they legally have to cover you.

Ranisa
                                                                          Participant

I think the rule for continous coverage is 64 days.  As long as you have ins that didn't lapse within the time greater than that 64 days they legally have to cover you.

lhaley
                                                                            Participant

I'm putting in a link to a site that has frequently asked questions. Interesting info with amount of days for your ex-employer to get info out to you.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-consumer-cobra.html

lhaley
                                                                              Participant

I'm putting in a link to a site that has frequently asked questions. Interesting info with amount of days for your ex-employer to get info out to you.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-consumer-cobra.html

teenagermom
                                                                                Participant

Just wanted to throw out another option….I know Cobra can be so expensive.  With Taylor we chose to use our state's high risk pool insurance coverage.  In NC, it is called Inclusive Health.  Melanoma is a qualifying diagnosis, but we had to apply and be turned down for other insurance before they would accept him.  This coverage was pretty good and his doctors participated.  It is half the cost of Cobra.  We paid $500 a month for Cobra for him when he aged out of the plan (prior to the new law) and got the Inclusive Health for $250 a month.  There are several levels of coverage you can pick from.

Not sure what state you are in, but it would be worth seeing if they offer this type of coverage. 

teenagermom
                                                                                  Participant

Just wanted to throw out another option….I know Cobra can be so expensive.  With Taylor we chose to use our state's high risk pool insurance coverage.  In NC, it is called Inclusive Health.  Melanoma is a qualifying diagnosis, but we had to apply and be turned down for other insurance before they would accept him.  This coverage was pretty good and his doctors participated.  It is half the cost of Cobra.  We paid $500 a month for Cobra for him when he aged out of the plan (prior to the new law) and got the Inclusive Health for $250 a month.  There are several levels of coverage you can pick from.

Not sure what state you are in, but it would be worth seeing if they offer this type of coverage. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics