The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Insurance for immunotherapy

Forums General Melanoma Community Insurance for immunotherapy

Participant
      Does Medicare Coverage B cover immunology treatments subject to annual deductible? I have AARP Medicare complete through United Health.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          If medically indicated, I believe the answer is yes: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/medicare/coverage-all/does-medicare-cover-cancer-treatment

Again, it seems that the answer is yes: https://www.medicarefaq.com/faqs/medicare-coverage-for-cancer/

Immunotherapy is given IV in an outpatient setting, usually in a “clinic” situation affiliated with your oncologist. The simplest way to get a certain answer to your question is call the billing department or nurse at your oncologists office and ask what their experience has been or call your insurance company directly. However, given the run-around that insurance companies are capable of dishing out, I would call my onc’s office first.

Hope this helps. Celeste

studiodad
            Participant
              Thanks, Celeste. I have received 3 different responses from my insurance company, but I believe it is covered under Medicare Coverage B, subject to annual deductibles. I will check with the Oncologist provider to confirm.
            MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Yaaaaaaaay! Am i hearing what i think im hearing??? Is StudioDad possibly considering Immunal Therapy?? Your the man! Like a few of us already explained to you about our own experience with immunal drugs, the side effects are very tolerable if not at all! I was scared as well Studio but after the 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd infusions etc. i was like what?? Are they even giving me Keytruda??!! I even asked the nurse up close into her ear ” You can tell me, i wont get you in trouble, is that just Sodium in that bag?”….
              Be well, and i hope your insurance gets worked out!!
                studiodad
                Participant
                  Very funny, Mike. After our last communication I received my biopsy results that showed a clear colon, but melanoma in my scapula. This new site put me in stage 4 and the doctor said my only option is immunotherapy (Opdivo) and some targeted radiation in the scapula. Despite the list of possible side effects and limited amount of data re success, I put on my big boy pants and agreed to start treatment. Thanks for your input.
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics