The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

INFO. ON ZELBORAF

Forums General Melanoma Community INFO. ON ZELBORAF

Participant

Would like to know what type of side effects to exspect or what if any should I really look out for.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

Well everyone is different. I'm suprised you are doing zelboraf instead of the tafinlar mekenist combo. I did both and for me the combo had way fewer side affects. But everyone is different.

Anyway for zelboraf I has at least 24 side affects. Fortunately none were permanent. First is sunlight. Just 30 seconds of exposed skin caused a Squamish cell that got to the size of a nickel before they had to cut it out twice. They also cut one out of my leg and froze dozens. Keep in mind before zelboraf they never found anything except one basil cell on my skin. To help was to wear full protective clothing including a face visor. Also some of the house windows were not good enough so had to board them up. Also had that sun film put in the car was a must so I didn't have to wear as much head gear in the car.

Another major side affect was eating. I would take a couple bites and I felt stuffed. Of course I wasnt. The nurse said to eat several small meals a day which helped a little. Mostly I would eat a half bite and get it down after about ten minutes. Then another half bite and so on.

Another significant was the rash and itching. I had a rash from my neck to my ankles so thick you couldn't find a spot the size of a pencil eraser that was clear. It started within a few days. It spread so rapidly I was eating breakfast which was way before the eating problems and you could literally see it spread up my arm.

Ive heard the joint pains can be severe but I didn't have any.

The rest are fairly minor if I remember right like the fevers , diahrrea nausea and stuff lke that. I would have to look in my log to see those painful memories but I think those are the main ones. Also I was only his second of over a thousand patients that had everything grow while on it so maybe that's why I had so many side affects I dunno. The combo pills I only had fevers then at the end a few days of really bad fevers shakes chills and stuff. But at least most things didn't grow. But again everyone is different.

Also at Siteman in saint Louis and other places is a ERK trial with immediate openings. ERK is further up or is it down the chain than braf. Based on my experience with these meds I decided to pursue a different treatment for now.

Artie

uccio2014
            Participant

Well my wife is under zelboraf since aug 2014 and had several side effects, but no one strong or durable.

To be honest mostly side effects was until dec.

In order she had:

rush for some days and stopped the trheatment for 3 days

fever for a week and we stop Z for 10 days and she took antibiotics

joint pain, this happen time by time but rarely are heavy and do not goes on for more then 1 day

hair loss, this is quite strange doctor says but hair regrow with different consistence

Up to now we live a normal life, thank's God

hope best for you

Antonio

uccio2014
              Participant

Well my wife is under zelboraf since aug 2014 and had several side effects, but no one strong or durable.

In order she had:

joint pain, this happen time by time but rarely are heavy and do not goes on for more then 1 day

hair loss, this is quite strange doctor says but hair regrow with different consistence

hope best for you

Antonio

uccio2014
                Participant

In order she had:

hope best for you

Antonio

arthurjedi007
                Participant

Well everyone is different. I'm suprised you are doing zelboraf instead of the tafinlar mekenist combo. I did both and for me the combo had way fewer side affects. But everyone is different.

Anyway for zelboraf I has at least 24 side affects. Fortunately none were permanent. First is sunlight. Just 30 seconds of exposed skin caused a Squamish cell that got to the size of a nickel before they had to cut it out twice. They also cut one out of my leg and froze dozens. Keep in mind before zelboraf they never found anything except one basil cell on my skin. To help was to wear full protective clothing including a face visor. Also some of the house windows were not good enough so had to board them up. Also had that sun film put in the car was a must so I didn't have to wear as much head gear in the car.

Another major side affect was eating. I would take a couple bites and I felt stuffed. Of course I wasnt. The nurse said to eat several small meals a day which helped a little. Mostly I would eat a half bite and get it down after about ten minutes. Then another half bite and so on.

Another significant was the rash and itching. I had a rash from my neck to my ankles so thick you couldn't find a spot the size of a pencil eraser that was clear. It started within a few days. It spread so rapidly I was eating breakfast which was way before the eating problems and you could literally see it spread up my arm.

The rest are fairly minor if I remember right like the fevers , diahrrea nausea and stuff lke that. I would have to look in my log to see those painful memories but I think those are the main ones. Also I was only his second of over a thousand patients that had everything grow while on it so maybe that's why I had so many side affects I dunno. The combo pills I only had fevers then at the end a few days of really bad fevers shakes chills and stuff. But at least most things didn't grow. But again everyone is different.

Also at Siteman in saint Louis and other places is a ERK trial with immediate openings. ERK is further up or is it down the chain than braf. Based on my experience with these meds I decided to pursue a different treatment for now.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

Richard_K
                    Participant

I am a little past five years on Zelboraf having started as part of the phase II trial in March 2010 and I continue today on a reduced dosage of 720 mg 2x a day.

As mentioned in an earlier post, everyone is different, but here is what I experienced.

As to side effects, I would have to admit that they were never debilitating but at times some were very painful; some came on very quick and I still have them and most have pretty much disappeared.

Almost immediately, I developed a rash on my entire body but never on my face and the rash is still evident today. Extreme photosensitivity also was quick to start and continues. Sunscreen, special SPF rated clothing and wide brim hats became some of my best friends.

I’m not sure when it started, but I did have body hair loss.  At the time I was 65 and the hair on my head was already thinning so I do not know if Zelboraf contributed to additional head hair loss but it definitely did not all fall out although the texture did change. Today body hair has mostly returned although much thinner.

I developed many small warts on different parts of my body. Those that were sore were taken off and biopsied. One such wart turned out to be a cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma that was successfully removed with Mohs surgery.

I developed neuropathy in both feet and it was very painful for a time. I got new shoes (much wider) and today I only have mild discomfort from time to time.  There was also a period when my ankles and feet were swollen. The swelling is much better and is just a minor annoyance on my left side.

As to joint pain, there are mornings that it is difficult to get going especially up and down stairs. Similar to the head hair loss, my knees were sore prior to starting Zelboraf (arthritis?) so I am not sure of the cause.

I also have had difficulty controlling by bilirubin (liver).  When it got too high, I ended up taking a one week Zelboraf holiday.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you. 

Richard_K
                      Participant

I am a little past five years on Zelboraf having started as part of the phase II trial in March 2010 and I continue today on a reduced dosage of 720 mg 2x a day.

As mentioned in an earlier post, everyone is different, but here is what I experienced.

As to side effects, I would have to admit that they were never debilitating but at times some were very painful; some came on very quick and I still have them and most have pretty much disappeared.

Almost immediately, I developed a rash on my entire body but never on my face and the rash is still evident today. Extreme photosensitivity also was quick to start and continues. Sunscreen, special SPF rated clothing and wide brim hats became some of my best friends.

I’m not sure when it started, but I did have body hair loss.  At the time I was 65 and the hair on my head was already thinning so I do not know if Zelboraf contributed to additional head hair loss but it definitely did not all fall out although the texture did change. Today body hair has mostly returned although much thinner.

I developed many small warts on different parts of my body. Those that were sore were taken off and biopsied. One such wart turned out to be a cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma that was successfully removed with Mohs surgery.

I developed neuropathy in both feet and it was very painful for a time. I got new shoes (much wider) and today I only have mild discomfort from time to time.  There was also a period when my ankles and feet were swollen. The swelling is much better and is just a minor annoyance on my left side.

As to joint pain, there are mornings that it is difficult to get going especially up and down stairs. Similar to the head hair loss, my knees were sore prior to starting Zelboraf (arthritis?) so I am not sure of the cause.

I also have had difficulty controlling by bilirubin (liver).  When it got too high, I ended up taking a one week Zelboraf holiday.

Richard_K
                        Participant

Bruce Davis
                          Participant

Have been taking Zelboraf since Sept. 2011. Side effects seem to be different for everyone although mine seem to parallel Richards. The sun has been unforgiving the whole time, burns occur quickly and I always miss a spot with sunscreen so at least for me the burn was preventable. Pain in lower legs the 1st 2 months, although I was able to run up to 4 miles the 3rd month. That didn't last long as pain in the front bottom of feet started (that was the worst side effect for me). Arthritic pain seemed to move from hands/ wrists to ankles/knees from left to right sides sometimes. Arthritic pain " from medicine" seemed to go away after maybe 4 months. Feet are still a little painful, nothing like the 1st year. Hair on the entire body seemed to diminish.

Overall the side effects have been very minimal compared to what a lot of people go through with tmelanoma, everyone is different. I was able to work for 2 1/2 years and began to feel physically and mentally drained. Still enjoy a little biking and a little walking, try to stay active.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.

Bruce

Bruce Davis
                            Participant

Have been taking Zelboraf since Sept. 2011. Side effects seem to be different for everyone although mine seem to parallel Richards. The sun has been unforgiving the whole time, burns occur quickly and I always miss a spot with sunscreen so at least for me the burn was preventable. Pain in lower legs the 1st 2 months, although I was able to run up to 4 miles the 3rd month. That didn't last long as pain in the front bottom of feet started (that was the worst side effect for me). Arthritic pain seemed to move from hands/ wrists to ankles/knees from left to right sides sometimes. Arthritic pain " from medicine" seemed to go away after maybe 4 months. Feet are still a little painful, nothing like the 1st year. Hair on the entire body seemed to diminish.

Overall the side effects have been very minimal compared to what a lot of people go through with tmelanoma, everyone is different. I was able to work for 2 1/2 years and began to feel physically and mentally drained. Still enjoy a little biking and a little walking, try to stay active.

Bruce

Bruce Davis
                              Participant

Bruce

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics