The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Inaccurate and misleading article

Forums General Melanoma Community Inaccurate and misleading article

• Replies
      Jerry from Cape Cod
      Participant

WOW…. they come in all shapes and sizes… 

That being said some of what he said is true, but often misleading and taken out of context.  For instance Vitamin D is totally replacable with a pill.  Your body doesn't know the difference.

Besides the amount of sun exposure actually needed for Vitamin D replenishment is not all that significant with proper protection.

The UVA / UVB issue is valid but MOST good sunscreens are now protecting for both.

His correlation between the rising rates does not take into account the significant increase in tanning both outdoors and in machines.

Remember half of all doctors graduate with grades below the median of their class.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
          Participant

I looked further down the page… he's a freakin chiropractor.  NO TRAINING IN CANCER or the Study of the SKIN, 

Akin to a snake oil salesmen when they make uninformed statements like this

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
            Participant

I looked further down the page… he's a freakin chiropractor.  NO TRAINING IN CANCER or the Study of the SKIN, 

Akin to a snake oil salesmen when they make uninformed statements like this

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
            Participant

WOW…. they come in all shapes and sizes… 

That being said some of what he said is true, but often misleading and taken out of context.  For instance Vitamin D is totally replacable with a pill.  Your body doesn't know the difference.

Besides the amount of sun exposure actually needed for Vitamin D replenishment is not all that significant with proper protection.

The UVA / UVB issue is valid but MOST good sunscreens are now protecting for both.

His correlation between the rising rates does not take into account the significant increase in tanning both outdoors and in machines.

Remember half of all doctors graduate with grades below the median of their class.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
              Participant

I think I'm a bit fired up on this one.

Here's a copy of the email I just sent to Dr. Dozier after I confirmed his email address from his website.

Sir,

You offer your opinions apparently without training in the subject on which you speak.  Your article was full of misstatements, partial facts and flawed conclusions.  The fact that you are a Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine was not overly apparent until I read the article a second time.  I have great respect for professionals with your designation and I have relied on my Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine on a regular basis over the years but not for first line treatment or advise on Melanoma

My lay knowledge and training in diseases of the skin comes from leaders in the field and I for one think you have done a disservice to the those who don't question a "Doctor."  My only hope is that you are broad minded enough to really get educated on current information in the field of cutaneous disease  and not to make the flawed conclusions and statements that might lead individuals to making critical errors in their care or the care of others.

I further hope that you will remove this segment from the internet until you have the opportunity to seek out the very best of the best for their knowledge.

If you would like I will gather reference material for your review.

Best regards,

Jerry from Cape Cod
                  Participant

Here's what I sent to the online publisher via the response form on the site

Dear Sir,
                    I have tremendous concern about a medical myth published on your site today.  

I respectfully request in the interest of public health and safety that you remove this posting until the matter is investigated.

Below is a copy of the email sent to Dr. Dozier

(included a copy of the letter above)

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                    Participant

Here's what I sent to the online publisher via the response form on the site

Dear Sir,
                      I have tremendous concern about a medical myth published on your site today.  

I respectfully request in the interest of public health and safety that you remove this posting until the matter is investigated.

Below is a copy of the email sent to Dr. Dozier

(included a copy of the letter above)

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                    Participant

I think I'm a bit fired up on this one.

Here's a copy of the email I just sent to Dr. Dozier after I confirmed his email address from his website.

Sir,

You offer your opinions apparently without training in the subject on which you speak.  Your article was full of misstatements, partial facts and flawed conclusions.  The fact that you are a Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine was not overly apparent until I read the article a second time.  I have great respect for professionals with your designation and I have relied on my Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine on a regular basis over the years but not for first line treatment or advise on Melanoma

My lay knowledge and training in diseases of the skin comes from leaders in the field and I for one think you have done a disservice to the those who don't question a "Doctor."  My only hope is that you are broad minded enough to really get educated on current information in the field of cutaneous disease  and not to make the flawed conclusions and statements that might lead individuals to making critical errors in their care or the care of others.

I further hope that you will remove this segment from the internet until you have the opportunity to seek out the very best of the best for their knowledge.

If you would like I will gather reference material for your review.

Best regards,

NicOz
                      Participant

ROFL! What a wanker!

http://www.darksideoftanning.com.au/myths/myths_one.aspx?gclid=CKi7pOaBgacCFQT1bwodtnwhfQ

Once again, we have "correlation" being used as a term to intimate "causation"… but it's a chiropractor, so I'm not surprised he's clueless.

NicOz
                        Participant

ROFL! What a wanker!

http://www.darksideoftanning.com.au/myths/myths_one.aspx?gclid=CKi7pOaBgacCFQT1bwodtnwhfQ

Once again, we have "correlation" being used as a term to intimate "causation"… but it's a chiropractor, so I'm not surprised he's clueless.

Jerry from Cape Cod
                          Participant

It worked. Here is Dr. Dozier's response.  I did send him a thank you note.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry, thank you for your comments regarding my article. I have had the article taken down. I know I must be more careful with what I write. I know my opinion is the less accepted on this topic. The spirit of the piece was to get people to realize that there are benefits to sun expose and potential hazards with some sunscreens. Again, my apologies. 

And yes, I am always looking to further educate myself and would be interested in any information you are willing to share on the subject.

Dr. Tim Dozier, D.C.

Becky
                              Participant

I didnt get a chance to read the article since he took it down. I guess we need to give the guy credit for listening to you, Jerry, and wanting to educate himself.

Melanoma Mom
                                Participant

Yay! He took it down! I also got a very nice E-mail back from him. I am thankful that he took the high road, admitted his error, and removed the misinformation. 

Well done everyone!

Melanoma Mom
                                  Participant

Yay! He took it down! I also got a very nice E-mail back from him. I am thankful that he took the high road, admitted his error, and removed the misinformation. 

Well done everyone!

Becky
                                    Participant

I didnt get a chance to read the article since he took it down. I guess we need to give the guy credit for listening to you, Jerry, and wanting to educate himself.

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                    Participant

It worked. Here is Dr. Dozier's response.  I did send him a thank you note.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry, thank you for your comments regarding my article. I have had the article taken down. I know I must be more careful with what I write. I know my opinion is the less accepted on this topic. The spirit of the piece was to get people to realize that there are benefits to sun expose and potential hazards with some sunscreens. Again, my apologies. 

And yes, I am always looking to further educate myself and would be interested in any information you are willing to share on the subject.

Dr. Tim Dozier, D.C.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics