The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

In situ requires WLE?

Forums General Melanoma Community In situ requires WLE?

Participant

A friend of mine was just diagnosted with malignant melanoma Stage 0, which I think is "in situ", right? His doctor just took a punch biopsy and said no further treatment was necessary. Is a wide local excision (WLE) usually ordered for a Stage 0?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aubreesmommy41
        Participant

Most in situs require a WLE. I'd tell your friend to push or seek a second opinion before just letting it go.

Aubreesmommy41
          Participant

Most in situs require a WLE. I'd tell your friend to push or seek a second opinion before just letting it go.

Aubreesmommy41
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

Standard of care for stage 0 (in situ) is 5mm margins.  If your friend's biopsy report doesn't list 5mm clear margins, s/he should demand them.  Surgery is THE most important prevention from future melanoma issues.

POW
                  Participant

Thank you both for your replies. That helps a lot. One other question… is the "mitotic index" considered when determining whether or not to do an WLE?

Thanks again for your help and advice!

Janner
                    Participant

By definition, in situ has a mitosis of 0.  A WLE is ALWAYS done to obtain required margins.

POW
                      Participant

In situ has a mitosis of 0? I didn't know that. Thank you!

POW
                        Participant

POW
                          Participant

Janner
                            Participant

By definition, in situ has a mitosis of 0.  A WLE is ALWAYS done to obtain required margins.

Janner
                              Participant

POW
                                Participant

Thank you both for your replies. That helps a lot. One other question… is the "mitotic index" considered when determining whether or not to do an WLE?

POW
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

Standard of care for stage 0 (in situ) is 5mm margins.  If your friend's biopsy report doesn't list 5mm clear margins, s/he should demand them.  Surgery is THE most important prevention from future melanoma issues.

Janner
                                    Participant

BrianP
                                      Participant

A POW and Janner sighting in one post. Just made my day!

Brian

BrianP
                                        Participant

Brian

WithinMySkin
                                            Participant
                                              <3 it! Made my day, too!
                                              WithinMySkin
                                              Participant
                                                <3 it! Made my day, too!
                                                POW
                                                Participant

LOL! You folks made MY day! So happy to see you here!

POW
                                                  Participant

POW
                                                    Participant

WithinMySkin
                                                      Participant
                                                        <3 it! Made my day, too!
                                                      BrianP
                                                      Participant

Brian

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics