The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

In situ melanoma – just diagnosed.

Forums General Melanoma Community In situ melanoma – just diagnosed.

Participant
      I was recently diagnosed with in situ melanoma on my lower leg. The lab results state "The lesion appears to be completely excised, approximating the nearest margin to within 3mm." Initially on the phone, the doctor told me that even though the standards of care are to remove 5mm from the margins, that he doesn't necessarily feel that I need the additional biopsy. He said that he usually abides by the standards of care, but doesn't believe it is necessary for an additional biopsy.

I was recently diagnosed with in situ melanoma on my lower leg. The lab results state "The lesion appears to be completely excised, approximating the nearest margin to within 3mm." Initially on the phone, the doctor told me that even though the standards of care are to remove 5mm from the margins, that he doesn't necessarily feel that I need the additional biopsy. He said that he usually abides by the standards of care, but doesn't believe it is necessary for an additional biopsy. When I went in for my appoinment to remove the stitches, I asked multiple questions about the additional biopsy. Now he is telling me that he recommends having it done.  I believe he is saying that to cover his bases. I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions/experience with this situation. I'm comfortable not having the additional biopsy since the margins were clear. I've also had a rough recovery. I don't feel like it is a huge concern to get the additional biopsy, but maybe I'm being to relaxed about it???
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

They developed the "standards of care" based on evaluation of many lesions.  In years past, the margins were much larger than they are now.  The best cure for melanoma is surgery so while 2mm might not seem like much, you would be at higher risk.  Yes, you can watch the area for any pigment regrowth and have more removed later if something grows back.  But melanoma cells like to travel which is why the extra margins are called for in the first place.  They can't check every cell on a biopsy so they can't "guarantee" anything when they say "APPEARS to be completely excised".  I'm assuming this lesion is Superficial Spreading Melanoma.  If it were Lentigo Maligna, then I would not be comfortable at all with 3mm margins.  (Lentigo Maligna has a high local recurrence rate).  In the end, it is up to you.  As long as you understand the risks and you are comfortable where you are, then that's all that should matter.    And yes, your doctor is probably covering his tracks now, but remember that the standards of care are on his side.  I've been on this site for almost 11 years and the WLE (wide local excision) or 'additional biopsy' as you call it is done almost every time.  Few exceptions.

Janner

lilahs
            Participant

Thank you for your response.  I'm reconsidering the additional biopsy.  I've already one WLE, but was not looking forward to another one. I'm definitely going to research this more before making my decision.

lilahs
              Participant

Thank you for your response.  I'm reconsidering the additional biopsy.  I've already one WLE, but was not looking forward to another one. I'm definitely going to research this more before making my decision.

lilahs
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

They developed the "standards of care" based on evaluation of many lesions.  In years past, the margins were much larger than they are now.  The best cure for melanoma is surgery so while 2mm might not seem like much, you would be at higher risk.  Yes, you can watch the area for any pigment regrowth and have more removed later if something grows back.  But melanoma cells like to travel which is why the extra margins are called for in the first place.  They can't check every cell on a biopsy so they can't "guarantee" anything when they say "APPEARS to be completely excised".  I'm assuming this lesion is Superficial Spreading Melanoma.  If it were Lentigo Maligna, then I would not be comfortable at all with 3mm margins.  (Lentigo Maligna has a high local recurrence rate).  In the end, it is up to you.  As long as you understand the risks and you are comfortable where you are, then that's all that should matter.    And yes, your doctor is probably covering his tracks now, but remember that the standards of care are on his side.  I've been on this site for almost 11 years and the WLE (wide local excision) or 'additional biopsy' as you call it is done almost every time.  Few exceptions.

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Janner

Brooksy
                    Participant

Good Morning, I have just read your post and cannot believe that your doctor

has said no to the second cut, i had a melanoma on my tummy and im the one

that found it had changed and got to it realy fast, my doctor took it off and it came

back melanoma, i then had a second cut deeper ,even though they said it was incredible

that i had found this change in mole so soon and it was fantastic news its protocol

to have the second deeper and wider cut.

So i had that and forgot all about he melanoma and went on living life to the fullest

little did i know it had returned in my groin i am now on a roller coaster  ,not meaning to

scare you but like the last person says Melanoma is the horrible one to get as it does

travel and when it does it travels fast ,mine took a year to show up in my groin as a lump like

a marble ,then grew to the size of a chook egg within weeks,ive had a huge operation and

now have lymphodema due to that operation ,and ive also had four weeks of radiation to my

groin and leg area ,im sore still so doctor is looking at running a PET scan next as he cant

understand why im still so sore inside as all this happened in january .

if it were me i would have demanded the second cut thats for sure ,i wish you all the luck inthe

world some of us are so lucky that it never returns some get five years i got one .

But my fight is not over yet im a survivor and its hard to take me out.

Brooksy
                      Participant

that found it had changed and got to it realy fast, my doctor took it off and it came

back melanoma, i then had a second cut deeper ,even though they said it was incredible

that i had found this change in mole so soon and it was fantastic news its protocol

So i had that and forgot all about he melanoma and went on living life to the fullest

little did i know it had returned in my groin i am now on a roller coaster  ,not meaning to

scare you but like the last person says Melanoma is the horrible one to get as it does

travel and when it does it travels fast ,mine took a year to show up in my groin as a lump like

a marble ,then grew to the size of a chook egg within weeks,ive had a huge operation and

now have lymphodema due to that operation ,and ive also had four weeks of radiation to my

groin and leg area ,im sore still so doctor is looking at running a PET scan next as he cant

if it were me i would have demanded the second cut thats for sure ,i wish you all the luck inthe

world some of us are so lucky that it never returns some get five years i got one .

lilahs
                          Participant
                            Thank you for your response. I’m sorry to hear that your melanoma returned. I am learning from these responses that melanoma shouldn’t be taken lightly. Initially, I was under the impression from my doctor that I really don’t need to be concerned since the margins were clear and it wasn’t invasive. Also, I’m new to this board and the terminology, so I should make it clear that I already had a small biopsy of just the mole, followed by the WLE, but only had 3mm margins. He said if I didn’t have another WLE, that there is a cream (Aldera) that I can use for 6 weeks. I’m really conflicted now. I’m not looking forward to another WLE, especially since I got an infection first time around, but I also don’t want to blow this off. It just seems like there is so much conflicting information.
                            lilahs
                            Participant
                              Thank you for your response. I’m sorry to hear that your melanoma returned. I am learning from these responses that melanoma shouldn’t be taken lightly. Initially, I was under the impression from my doctor that I really don’t need to be concerned since the margins were clear and it wasn’t invasive. Also, I’m new to this board and the terminology, so I should make it clear that I already had a small biopsy of just the mole, followed by the WLE, but only had 3mm margins. He said if I didn’t have another WLE, that there is a cream (Aldera) that I can use for 6 weeks. I’m really conflicted now. I’m not looking forward to another WLE, especially since I got an infection first time around, but I also don’t want to blow this off. It just seems like there is so much conflicting information.
                              Janner
                              Participant

My doc uses Aldera for Lentigo Maligna but not other types of melanoma.  However, as your lesion was confined entirely to the epidermis, Aldera could be an option.  I'm honestly not sure which way I'd go in your situation.  Certainly, a WLE has some assurance with it but has all the risks including infection.  Aldera is a pain but could be a decent alternative.  I'd go with your gut on this one.  In the future, though, I'd just ask your derm to take 'generous' margins so you're not faced with this decision again.

lilahs
                                Participant

I've decided to have another WLE to remove the additional margins.  I went for a 2nd opinion and this doctor told me the same thing as the first- basically there is a very low chance of it coming back or spreading, but he still recommends the standards of care.  Both doctors haven't seen in situ melanoma come back, but this still doesn't give me the reassurance that I need.  I don't want to be the small percentage where it does come back or has spread internally.  Hopefully 2nd time around, I don't get an infection and have an easy recovery ๐Ÿ™‚

mlbjab
                                  Participant

Okay, very confused by the responses here.  Melanoma in situ is confined to the epidermis. There are two responses here of people saying melanoma in situ has become metastatic.  I find that hard to beleive.  Did you all / your loved ones get second opinions on your pathology?  Did you obtain and read the report for yourself?  Biopsy type only matters when the lesion is intersected (cut in half).  In situ is confined to epidermis and has NO depth, there it would be removed with shave (unless lateral margins were involved which would be stated in path report).

For the original poster – I'm sure your margins are fine.  If it were me, I'd go in and get larger margins, but I understand why you are hesitant to.

mlbjab
                                    Participant

Okay, very confused by the responses here.  Melanoma in situ is confined to the epidermis. There are two responses here of people saying melanoma in situ has become metastatic.  I find that hard to beleive.  Did you all / your loved ones get second opinions on your pathology?  Did you obtain and read the report for yourself?  Biopsy type only matters when the lesion is intersected (cut in half).  In situ is confined to epidermis and has NO depth, there it would be removed with shave (unless lateral margins were involved which would be stated in path report).

For the original poster – I'm sure your margins are fine.  If it were me, I'd go in and get larger margins, but I understand why you are hesitant to.

mlbjab
                                      Participant

lilahs
                                        Participant

I've decided to have another WLE to remove the additional margins.  I went for a 2nd opinion and this doctor told me the same thing as the first- basically there is a very low chance of it coming back or spreading, but he still recommends the standards of care.  Both doctors haven't seen in situ melanoma come back, but this still doesn't give me the reassurance that I need.  I don't want to be the small percentage where it does come back or has spread internally.  Hopefully 2nd time around, I don't get an infection and have an easy recovery ๐Ÿ™‚

lilahs
                                          Participant

Janner
                                            Participant

My doc uses Aldera for Lentigo Maligna but not other types of melanoma.  However, as your lesion was confined entirely to the epidermis, Aldera could be an option.  I'm honestly not sure which way I'd go in your situation.  Certainly, a WLE has some assurance with it but has all the risks including infection.  Aldera is a pain but could be a decent alternative.  I'd go with your gut on this one.  In the future, though, I'd just ask your derm to take 'generous' margins so you're not faced with this decision again.

Janner
                                              Participant

lilahs
                                                Participant
                                                Brooksy
                                                Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics