The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

in hospital for side effects of Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community in hospital for side effects of Yervoy

Participant

About 6 weeks after his las Yervoy injection my brother developed severe diarrhea and stomach pain. Took the doctors 4 weeks to properly diagnose his colitis. 35 lbs later, not being able to work, and deathly ill,  now, he is in the hospital on an IV of Hydrocortisone 100mg- IS the RIGHT drug???

He is also receiving morphine for pain, however, he is still in pain. Has this happened to anyone else before? If so, besides the steroid, what pain meds did they give you?

Thank you,

About 6 weeks after his las Yervoy injection my brother developed severe diarrhea and stomach pain. Took the doctors 4 weeks to properly diagnose his colitis. 35 lbs later, not being able to work, and deathly ill,  now, he is in the hospital on an IV of Hydrocortisone 100mg- IS the RIGHT drug???

He is also receiving morphine for pain, however, he is still in pain. Has this happened to anyone else before? If so, besides the steroid, what pain meds did they give you?

Thank you,

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

It is an expected side effect of Yervoy. I am just surprised it took so long to DX…here is a link about the side effects…http://www.onclive.com/publications/oncology-nurse/2012/february-2012/Special-Report-on-Immunotherapy-Managing-Yervoys-Side-Effects

LynnLuc
          Participant

It is an expected side effect of Yervoy. I am just surprised it took so long to DX…here is a link about the side effects…http://www.onclive.com/publications/oncology-nurse/2012/february-2012/Special-Report-on-Immunotherapy-Managing-Yervoys-Side-Effects

LynnLuc
            Participant

NYKaren
                Participant
                  Yes, it’s the proper drug.
                  How is your brother doing?
                  NYKaren
                  Participant
                    NYKaren
                    Participant
                    Rocco
                    Participant

I was on one of the original trials for Yervoy (MDX-010) and it was well known even then that Collitis was a possible severe side effect.  I never experienced it, but others on this board did.  A July post by Karen noted that they tried the drug remicade on her severe collitis.  Here is here post from that time:

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/remicade-miracle-drug 

Gene_S
                        Participant

WOW… What is wrong here? Anonymous asking questions and Anonymous answering them?

Thanks Anonymous

Gene_S
                          Participant

WOW… What is wrong here? Anonymous asking questions and Anonymous answering them?

Thanks Anonymous

Gene_S
                            Participant

Thanks Anonymous

Gene_S
                              Participant

Sorry, discard the prior message as this was meant for a different posting…

Anonymous

Gene_S
                                Participant

Anonymous

NYKaren
                                  Participant
                                    I didn’t see your question about pain meds. Interestingly, morphine doesn’t work for me but Dilaudud does. There are other options as well. If your brother is still in pain, I again strongly recommend Remicade.
                                    All the best,
                                    karen
                                    NYKaren
                                    Participant
                                      I didn’t see your question about pain meds. Interestingly, morphine doesn’t work for me but Dilaudud does. There are other options as well. If your brother is still in pain, I again strongly recommend Remicade.
                                      All the best,
                                      karen
                                      NYKaren
                                      Participant
                                        All the best,
                                        karen
                                        Gene_S
                                        Participant

Anonymous

Rocco
                                        Participant

I was on one of the original trials for Yervoy (MDX-010) and it was well known even then that Collitis was a possible severe side effect.  I never experienced it, but others on this board did.  A July post by Karen noted that they tried the drug remicade on her severe collitis.  Here is here post from that time:

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/remicade-miracle-drug 

Rocco
                                          Participant

Ali
                                            Participant

Hope it clears up quickly!  I developed serious diarrhea after Yervoy, steroids stopped it pretty quickly.  Good luck!

Ali
                                              Participant

Hope it clears up quickly!  I developed serious diarrhea after Yervoy, steroids stopped it pretty quickly.  Good luck!

Ali
                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics