The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Immunotherapy and Steroids…Need Input

Forums General Melanoma Community Immunotherapy and Steroids…Need Input

Participant

I thought I had read somewhere that you could start immunotherapy when on steroids in some situations. Is this true? Can anyone point me in the direction of articles, studies, etc.? My daughter just finished two weeks of WBRT on Wednesday. They tried tapering her quickly off the steroids so she could begin immunotherapy by 5/31. She ended up having a seizure and falling, so they went back to original dose. Now, they're tapering slowly over a month and she won't be able to start immunotherapy until June 28th! I'm so afraid that the tumors in her body can come back/grow during that time. Am I being unreasonable to think they could taper her a little more quickly, so she could begin treatment earlier?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies

I had to taper off steriods slowly.  It took about two and a half months.  Maybe the important thing here is to keep your daughter safe and to get her off the steriods safely.  Then she can start the immunotherapy and it can attack the tumors.  Nothing seems to go quickly enough for me and I always find waiting the hardest part as I just want this to be over so I can get back to normal.  Wishing you and your daughter good thoughts.

Jennifer

raun cesar
        Participant

I can understand your concern as a mother and the waiting is frustating.  Slow tamper is always better, the prime concern is her safety. Only then immunotherapy can begun. May she recover soon…

jennunicorn
          Participant

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/toxicities-associated-with-checkpoint-inhibitor-immunotherapy#H91786710

In this article it says "The need for immunosuppressive therapy to manage irAEs does not appear to affect the response to checkpoint inhibition with either anti-PD-1 antibodies or ipilimumab."

It is saying if someone is on treatment and they get a side effect that needs to be treated by steroids it will NOT interfere with the affectiveness of the treatment. I don't think she needs to be 100% off steroids before starting, her dosage should be on the small side, but I would ask her docs to consider starting her when she's down to 10mg or less a day. 

Franny
            Participant

The steroids helped me with joint pain side effects and if the immune system attacks a specific organ i.e. Liver etc

cancersnewnormal
              Participant

I'm totally going out on a limb with this one, and I'm sure the docs could give you a more solid reason as to why they would like her off of steroids prior to start of immunotherapy… but… since the edema is in her brain, and not a side effect in the body, I'd guess that they don't want to risk any potential risk of additional swelling that a heightened immuno-response might bring. Is it her medical oncologist that is suggesting the wait, or her radiation oncologist? Is there a neuro oncologist who may have more input? I can't imagine your frustration and being placed in a holding pattern. I know that docs tend to get quite uneasy when it comes to brain edema and anything that may potentially exacerbate the problem. I had a perfectly well behaved, gamma treated, brain lesion go "haywire" and start peeing edema all over my brain shortly after the start of Keytruda. I eventually ended up with a second brain surgery because of it. 

RitysMom
                  Participant

It was the radiation onc, but her melanoma onc is in agreement. I emailed him and expressed my concerns with the wait. He agreed that the taper could be shortened, but his concern is her beginning immunotherapy right before our family trip to Hawaii and possibly having issues…we're going from 6/20-6/27. I didn't think of that. I just wanted her to start asap. 

cancersnewnormal
                    Participant

Yeah… it's probably wise not to tinker around with what immunotherapy reactions there might be while you're on an island. But ooooooh man… HAWAII! I hope you guys have a great time! : )

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics