The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Immune Therapy – Opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community Immune Therapy – Opdivo

Participant

Ok, here's the big questions… the Dr says that this med will boost my immune system and hopefully help my body prevent anymore cancer and there might be side effects.  IS IT WORTH TAKING??? All of you out there that have taken this drug, would you do it again??

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        RichInLife2
        Participant

Short answer: YES!

Long answer: Yes. Even though I got diabetes out of the deal, I seem to be one of the people it helps. My tumors are smaller or stable. I don’t think I would be here without it. I was/am stage IV and Opdivo was my lifeline. If I was taking it for adjuvant treatment, my thinking might be different, but probably not. Knowing what I know now about melanoma, I think I would want to attack it with the best treatment available. 

Good luck!

mortalMike
            Participant

Thank you. Im on it now

Mike

KellyH
            Participant

Hi Mike!!! 

I replied to your previous post as well…my son is the patient and to answer your question would we do it again???  

Yes!!! A thousand times yes!!!! 

I felt doing something was better than doing nothing and he has done extremely well with treatments!!!!! Very little side effects. 

I researched and researched and used this forum to answer questions I had from actual patients…and I do not regret my decision at all. My son is NED and I pray every day he stays that way!!!! 

Good luck to you!!! 

Kelly 🙂 

mortalMike
                Participant

Thank you. Yes Im taking it now

Mike

Hukill
                Participant

I am amazed how many people with melanoma are more afraid of side effects than melanoma. I had 5 doses of yervoy and 52 doses of opdivo. Before I started I never once worried or cared about side effects, I had 7 tumors in my lungs and my choices were risk side effects (if my immune system even reacts to the drugs) or die. So it took me about 0.01 of a second to choose risking side effects. Yes, I would do it again, even the yervoy which is way worse for side effects.

kst
                    Participant

I agree 100%.  I was stuck in the hospital last March with severe A/E's from Nivo asking every doc that walked through the door when they would restart therapy.  I was scared to death they wouldn't let me continue.  I finally relaxed a little after they assured me they would reintroduce Nivo if I progressed.

Susanne

MarkR
                      Participant

Couldn’t agree more!!

My Onc told me on Thursday that due to my reaction last time side effects would likely be severe again and there was about a 1% chance of death.  I didn’t even blink – there is a 100% chance of death without treatment

Mark

mortalMike
                        Participant

Thank you. Im on it now

Mike

ed williams
                        Participant

Mike, on your profile it says that you don't know what stage you are!!! Could you let us know what procedures you have had so far. How, do you know for example that you have melanoma would be my first question, if it was based on taking off a mole, then there would be a pathology report of the tissue. That would tell us depth of melanoma tumor which would imform us if you need sentinel node biopsy etc etc. Hard to give advice to some one about taking Nivo when they might be stage 1 or 2 and not need any treatment at all. 

mortalMike
                            Participant

Thank you. I kinda know but it has to do with insurance. Be glad to explain privately

Mike

Summer S.
                            Participant

Hey Mike, 

If you are confused, I would recommend running genetic tests.

1. You May want to do PDL-1 Test, typically the more PDL-1 your tumor expresses the more likely you would respond to an immunotherapy (anti-PdL1). So that may give you some idea on whether it is a good option for you. 

However, even people with zero PDL1 may still benefit from the treatment, but the % of those who do still is small. 

2. BRAF Test, based on which you will know for sure if you would qualify for anti-braf medicines or not 

I would run both test, then discuss options with an oncologist. 

I hope that that gives you some prespective, good luck 🙂 

mortalMike
                                Participant

Thank you. Will tell my Dr. about these tests.

Mike

Yes!  I absolutely would.  I'm still on it.  I started with the combo Ipi/Nivo and only tolerated 2 doses.  I was off treatment to deal with the side effects from that when I experienced a brain met.  I ended up back on the Nivo and I'm still on it two years later.  My side effects have only been fatigue, mild itching (controlled with Zyrtec), and loss of thyroid function.  The doctor's are telling me this saved my life.  The side effects for me with Nivolumab (Opdivo) alone are not so bad.  So I'm tired – that's better than dead.  So I take a thyroid med, it's a tiny pill once a day – that's better than dead.

Good wishes to you,

Jennifer

mortalMike
                                  Participant

Thank you. Im on it now

Mike

Viewing 5 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics