The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Imiquimod (brand name Aldara)?

Forums General Melanoma Community Imiquimod (brand name Aldara)?

Participant

Has anyone used imiquimod (Aldara) for melanoma? Can you let me know where it was used, how it was used, side effects, why it was prescribed, effectiveness,etc? I am looking into this for my father for his in transit mets on his leg. I think there is a trial at UVA for this. 

Thank you, Chau.

Has anyone used imiquimod (Aldara) for melanoma? Can you let me know where it was used, how it was used, side effects, why it was prescribed, effectiveness,etc? I am looking into this for my father for his in transit mets on his leg. I think there is a trial at UVA for this. 

Thank you, Chau.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Chau,

Look up KarenNY.  I think that's the topical drug along with IL2 that Karen has been doing under her Dr.   I will e-mail her to notice your post.

Linda

cwu
            Participant

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for helping me. I would really like to find out more about this. KarenNY, can you please help me?

Chau

lhaley
              Participant

I have her e-mailed so I'm sure she will be responding to you. 

linda

lhaley
                Participant

linda

NYKaren
                  Participant

Thanks Linda.

Hi Chau,

Yes, I use Imiquimod on my melanoma, which is  on my face.   I use it every night.  I was first given the creme before I started Ipi (my docs don't think I'm a responder, but since it was spreading very close to my eye and near and even in  my ear, they declared me a non-responder, and I'm now on my next treatment, IL-2, which I seem to be responding to.  I had one round of IL-2 in September, and I'm going back to Yale-New Haven on Monday for round 2.  Each round for  me is 5 days in hosp., one week home to recuperate, repeat week in hosp.

I use the imiquimod on the entire area.  At first it didn't do too much, but ever since I began my IL-2, the entire area has crusted over, and some of it has flaked off, taking the melanoma with it.  In some places it leaves behind pigment (looks like a freckle but totally smoothe, not bumpy or raised as melanoma is.  In other areas, it has come off and taken the pigment with it, leaving flesh-colored skin, which is fantastic.  My doctors believe that the IL-2 and Imiq. work synergistically with each other, and I absolutely agree.  

The only side-effects I have from the Imiquimod are localized–very red, sensitive skin.  I understand that the skin can blister, but that hasn't happened to me (yet, LOL)  I've read on the Aldera web-site where peope get very bad side effects, but it seems that those reports are from people who have used it on their genitals or lips.  My most sensitive area is right adjacent to my eye; I'm very careful not to get any of the creme in my eye.

I do feel tired, but with all the treatments I've had, it could be from anything.

That's about it, please let me know if you have any other questions.  

Take care,

Karen

NYKaren
                    Participant

Thanks Linda.

Hi Chau,

Yes, I use Imiquimod on my melanoma, which is  on my face.   I use it every night.  I was first given the creme before I started Ipi (my docs don't think I'm a responder, but since it was spreading very close to my eye and near and even in  my ear, they declared me a non-responder, and I'm now on my next treatment, IL-2, which I seem to be responding to.  I had one round of IL-2 in September, and I'm going back to Yale-New Haven on Monday for round 2.  Each round for  me is 5 days in hosp., one week home to recuperate, repeat week in hosp.

I use the imiquimod on the entire area.  At first it didn't do too much, but ever since I began my IL-2, the entire area has crusted over, and some of it has flaked off, taking the melanoma with it.  In some places it leaves behind pigment (looks like a freckle but totally smoothe, not bumpy or raised as melanoma is.  In other areas, it has come off and taken the pigment with it, leaving flesh-colored skin, which is fantastic.  My doctors believe that the IL-2 and Imiq. work synergistically with each other, and I absolutely agree.  

The only side-effects I have from the Imiquimod are localized–very red, sensitive skin.  I understand that the skin can blister, but that hasn't happened to me (yet, LOL)  I've read on the Aldera web-site where peope get very bad side effects, but it seems that those reports are from people who have used it on their genitals or lips.  My most sensitive area is right adjacent to my eye; I'm very careful not to get any of the creme in my eye.

I do feel tired, but with all the treatments I've had, it could be from anything.

Take care,

Karen

cwu
                      Participant

Hi Karen,

Thank you for responding. I am very happy that the combination of Aldara and IL-2 is working for you.  When your doctor prescribed Aldara, did they indicate that it was used for melanoma before and shown to be effective? Also, you mentioned that you didnt see anything happening with Aldara until you started IL-2, how long were you on Aldara before you started IL-2?  I dont remember how I came across Aldara but I cant seem to find anything that talks about Aldara's effectiveness with melanoma other than the clinical trial offerred at UVA now which I am considering.  My father is currently on IPI and his doctor is not optimistic that he is a responder as his lesions are progressing. His doctor hasnt mentioned IL-2 but I dont think dad is going to be able to tolerate it.

Thank you Karen for your help and I hope you have continued response with this combo.

Chau

cwu
                        Participant

Hi Karen,

Thank you for responding. I am very happy that the combination of Aldara and IL-2 is working for you.  When your doctor prescribed Aldara, did they indicate that it was used for melanoma before and shown to be effective? Also, you mentioned that you didnt see anything happening with Aldara until you started IL-2, how long were you on Aldara before you started IL-2?  I dont remember how I came across Aldara but I cant seem to find anything that talks about Aldara's effectiveness with melanoma other than the clinical trial offerred at UVA now which I am considering.  My father is currently on IPI and his doctor is not optimistic that he is a responder as his lesions are progressing. His doctor hasnt mentioned IL-2 but I dont think dad is going to be able to tolerate it.

Thank you Karen for your help and I hope you have continued response with this combo.

Chau

cwu
                          Participant

Hi Karen,

Chau

NYKaren
                            Participant

Thanks Linda.

Hi Chau,

Take care,

Karen

lhaley
                              Participant

linda

cwu
                                Participant

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for helping me. I would really like to find out more about this. KarenNY, can you please help me?

Chau

cwu
                                  Participant

Hi Linda,

Chau

lhaley
                                  Participant

Chau,

Look up KarenNY.  I think that's the topical drug along with IL2 that Karen has been doing under her Dr.   I will e-mail her to notice your post.

Linda

lhaley
                                    Participant

Chau,

Linda

paul
                                      Participant

Hello Chau.

I was prescribed aldera for some skin lessions on my face by my oncologist, and used it for about six months. I think it helped, getting rid of a few lessions, and perhaps slowing the progression of others. When it seemed not to be getting rid of the lessions, I was switched to Temodar, and what were obvious lessions have pancaked out (are flat and stable) or disappeared. I didn't experience significant side effects from Aldera, outside of reaction at the site (redness, "weeping," which are supposed to be good signs). My use was monitored by a dermatologist, and they have good handouts on how/how often etc. to apply it (something like three nights a week). Main thing: it is strong stuff, and important to apply sparingly, as instructed.

Paul

paul
                                        Participant

Hello Chau.

I was prescribed aldera for some skin lessions on my face by my oncologist, and used it for about six months. I think it helped, getting rid of a few lessions, and perhaps slowing the progression of others. When it seemed not to be getting rid of the lessions, I was switched to Temodar, and what were obvious lessions have pancaked out (are flat and stable) or disappeared. I didn't experience significant side effects from Aldera, outside of reaction at the site (redness, "weeping," which are supposed to be good signs). My use was monitored by a dermatologist, and they have good handouts on how/how often etc. to apply it (something like three nights a week). Main thing: it is strong stuff, and important to apply sparingly, as instructed.

Paul

NYKaren
                                            Participant

Hi again, Chau.

I know people have seen good results with Imiquimod on its own…maybe I hadn't used it for a long enough period of time before the IL-2, and the IL-2 just boosted it along.

Everyone's regimin is different, my docs are pretty adament about my using it every night.  If it's really, really sore & weeping, they let me take 3 days off.  Since it seems to be helping, I keep using it.

Also, I believe that using it to treat melanoma is relatively new.

take care,

karen

NYKaren
                                              Participant

Hi again, Chau.

I know people have seen good results with Imiquimod on its own…maybe I hadn't used it for a long enough period of time before the IL-2, and the IL-2 just boosted it along.

Everyone's regimin is different, my docs are pretty adament about my using it every night.  If it's really, really sore & weeping, they let me take 3 days off.  Since it seems to be helping, I keep using it.

take care,

karen

NYKaren
                                                Participant

Hi again, Chau.

take care,

karen

cwu
                                                  Participant

Hi Karen,

I hope IL-2 and Aldara will continue to work for you. I think you are right, Aldara is a relatively new treatment for melanoma and especially using it in combination with IL-2 and other meds.

Chau

cwu
                                                    Participant

Hi Karen,

I hope IL-2 and Aldara will continue to work for you. I think you are right, Aldara is a relatively new treatment for melanoma and especially using it in combination with IL-2 and other meds.

Chau

cwu
                                                      Participant

Hi Karen,

Chau

cwu
                                                        Participant

Hi Paul,

Thank you for responding. It sounds like while Aldara is very strong, it is tolerable. I hope that Temodar does the job of getting rid of your tumors. I have been trying to see if any of these topical immunotherapy can help my dad with his in the transit mets on his leg. He is 83 years old so I want to make make sure the medication is not too toxic and he can tolerate it. Thank you again for your input.

Chau

cwu
                                                          Participant

Hi Paul,

Thank you for responding. It sounds like while Aldara is very strong, it is tolerable. I hope that Temodar does the job of getting rid of your tumors. I have been trying to see if any of these topical immunotherapy can help my dad with his in the transit mets on his leg. He is 83 years old so I want to make make sure the medication is not too toxic and he can tolerate it. Thank you again for your input.

Chau

cwu
                                                            Participant

Hi Paul,

Chau

paul
                                                            Participant

Hello Chau.

Paul

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics