The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I’m Nutz for Southwest Airlines…

Forums General Melanoma Community I’m Nutz for Southwest Airlines…

Participant

If anyone is like me, very low on money and can't afford airfare, and incredibly frustrated with the lack of help american cancer society offers -what a joke- i want to share this information with you:

http://www.swamedia.com/releases/6146f9bf-d192-41f8-9872-0c3213ebb718

Southwest has a program that will fly you to your cancer treatments

you do have to be able to walk unassisted , but if you can…Here is the info

Call Amanda  Raneri at:

516-300-1660

If anyone is like me, very low on money and can't afford airfare, and incredibly frustrated with the lack of help american cancer society offers -what a joke- i want to share this information with you:

http://www.swamedia.com/releases/6146f9bf-d192-41f8-9872-0c3213ebb718

Southwest has a program that will fly you to your cancer treatments

you do have to be able to walk unassisted , but if you can…Here is the info

Call Amanda  Raneri at:

516-300-1660

tell them boots sent you

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Boots,

Thanks for the information

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Boots,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

Boots,

Jimmy B

aldakota22
              Participant

So happy for you,Enough on your plate already.Now go get Better.   Al

aldakota22
                Participant

aldakota22
                  Participant

washoegal
                    Participant

I've often wondered what the ACS does with all the money they get.  I know they fund a fair amount of research but I think almost as much money goes to political causes.  Too bad there isn't a "trickle down" effect.  I geuss that's why we see so many local fund raisers for cancer suffers. 

washoegal
                      Participant

I've often wondered what the ACS does with all the money they get.  I know they fund a fair amount of research but I think almost as much money goes to political causes.  Too bad there isn't a "trickle down" effect.  I geuss that's why we see so many local fund raisers for cancer suffers. 

washoegal
                        Participant

kthekhal
                          Participant

I certainly do appreciate Southwest for such programs – but I think the fortunate few melanoma patients/survivors should extend help to fellow patients monetarily in such cases  –   sending  'vibes'  , 'blessings'    doesn't always help –

Can we setup a  'fund'   and donate on a monthly basis (say $25 upwards) and help fellow melanoma   patients  (starting with 'boots'  )   who are in dire need  of money ?  Mr.Charlie,  I trust you  – can you PLEASE handle this NOBLE task ?

kthekhal
                            Participant

I certainly do appreciate Southwest for such programs – but I think the fortunate few melanoma patients/survivors should extend help to fellow patients monetarily in such cases  –   sending  'vibes'  , 'blessings'    doesn't always help –

Can we setup a  'fund'   and donate on a monthly basis (say $25 upwards) and help fellow melanoma   patients  (starting with 'boots'  )   who are in dire need  of money ?  Mr.Charlie,  I trust you  – can you PLEASE handle this NOBLE task ?

kthekhal
                              Participant

hope4cure1
                                Participant

With so many people needing help with so many things these days, it's wonderful to see a corportation stepping up.

Thanks, boots, for also stepping up 🙂

Hope

hope4cure1
                                  Participant

With so many people needing help with so many things these days, it's wonderful to see a corportation stepping up.

Hope

hope4cure1
                                    Participant

Hope

Maxximom
                                      Participant

Boots..thank you so much for posting this information. I have long thought about going for a second opinion or For a consult for a clinical trial if my Ippi fails me. I need a plan B as I am BRAF neg..BUT..airfare costs have been a big issue for me..I live on my social security only.. I have no other income..so your post just gave me the biggest smile..so thank you for solving a big problem for me. I do have 2 questions. You say that you have to walk unassisted..what exactly do you mean? I do walk unassisted..but in a airport.. I do have a problem with the distances and have used a golf  cart or wheel chair to get to gates..is that not permitted?  the other question which maybe I should start a thread about it…what do people do when they have to live out of town when they go for a clinical trial? Staying in a hotel for months must be cost prohibitive..even if their are reduced rates and many people do not have family or friend they can stay with. A trial at Moffit if it would be open to me.. would be impossible for me to afford because of housing..so what to people do? I want to do everything possible to fight this monster.. but how can I afford it..if I have to go elsewhere.Medicare and my Medigap pay for the medical costs..but living away from home for months..how?

Joan

Maxximom
                                        Participant

Boots..thank you so much for posting this information. I have long thought about going for a second opinion or For a consult for a clinical trial if my Ippi fails me. I need a plan B as I am BRAF neg..BUT..airfare costs have been a big issue for me..I live on my social security only.. I have no other income..so your post just gave me the biggest smile..so thank you for solving a big problem for me. I do have 2 questions. You say that you have to walk unassisted..what exactly do you mean? I do walk unassisted..but in a airport.. I do have a problem with the distances and have used a golf  cart or wheel chair to get to gates..is that not permitted?  the other question which maybe I should start a thread about it…what do people do when they have to live out of town when they go for a clinical trial? Staying in a hotel for months must be cost prohibitive..even if their are reduced rates and many people do not have family or friend they can stay with. A trial at Moffit if it would be open to me.. would be impossible for me to afford because of housing..so what to people do? I want to do everything possible to fight this monster.. but how can I afford it..if I have to go elsewhere.Medicare and my Medigap pay for the medical costs..but living away from home for months..how?

Joan

Maxximom
                                          Participant

Joan

boot2aboot
                                              Participant

to answer your questions…when you go to a clinical trial to see if you qualify or get second opinion…the next call you make is to a social worker of that hospital…in tampa you stay at HOPE lodge…the only thing American Cancer Society kinda does well…it does have wait lists but, the louder you yell, the more you are heard…doesn't make you popular, but who cares, you get a room….there are also extended stays that reduce room rates modestly…friends and fam are best…facebook people and tell them what you are doing and need a place to stay….

if you can hoist yourself up from the golf cart and walk down the corridor to get on plane and seat yourself…you are ambulatory

boots

boot2aboot
                                                Participant

to answer your questions…when you go to a clinical trial to see if you qualify or get second opinion…the next call you make is to a social worker of that hospital…in tampa you stay at HOPE lodge…the only thing American Cancer Society kinda does well…it does have wait lists but, the louder you yell, the more you are heard…doesn't make you popular, but who cares, you get a room….there are also extended stays that reduce room rates modestly…friends and fam are best…facebook people and tell them what you are doing and need a place to stay….

if you can hoist yourself up from the golf cart and walk down the corridor to get on plane and seat yourself…you are ambulatory

boots

boot2aboot
                                                  Participant

boots

MichaelFL
                                                  Participant

In addition to Southwest which I have seen posted here in the past, maybe this will help too:

Mercy Medical Airlift

Arranges free transportation on commercial airlines

Requires 14 day notice

888-675-1405

Miracle Flight

Transportation on private crafts like Angel Flight

Requires 10 business day notice

800-359-1711

Corporate Angel

For transportation on private corporate jets

Requires 1 week notice

800-328-1313

Corporate Angels http://www.corpangelnetwork.org/

Continental Care Force

For transportation on private crafts like Angel Flight

Requires 2 weeks notice

281-261-6626

Midwest Airlines

Miracle Miles Program

Free commercial tickets on Midwest through their gift of miles

Requires 10 day notice

414-570-4118

Northwest Airlines

Reduced fare coupon books for Clinical Trial patients

800-328-1111

Aircare Alliance: http://www.aircareall.org/

Joes House http://www.joeshouse.com/ is something to consider for free/low cost housing for cancer patients and families. It is a non-profit organization, which serves cancer patients, their advocates, and social workers by providing a national online directory of local lodging accommodations.

http://www.cancer.org- On right side of page enter your zip code, then scroll down to "Local Resources", then click on "Assistance", there you will find all the local, statewide and even out-of-state resources for help financially and more. This website has numerous financial, medical and more information on crisis help. (800) ACS-2345

http://www.cancercare.org- click on "I'm a cancer patient" or "I am a loved one", then click on "Assistance", then click on "Financial Assistance", then download financial assistance form. (800) 813-HOPE

http://www.patientadvocate.org- click on "Personal Help", then "Request Assistance", then fill out the form below. (800) 532-5274

http://www.terminallyill.org- click on "Downloads/Forms", then click on "Application for Financial Assistance". (866) 668-1724

http://www.netwish.org- Netwish provides assistance, up to $500 for those who are able to demonstrate a financial need.

http://www.Modestneeds.org- provides help with bills. Click on apply for help.

http://www.foodlion.com/LionsPride.asp- Click on bottom of page on “Request for assistance form”.

Hope Cancer Fund: 866-334-HOPE Provides a one time financial assistance program to families up to $150.

There is an organization that is called Crossing The Finish Line.

It is for young cancer patients ( to age 50). If you qualify they will send you on an all expense paid vacation to Florida. They pay for you and your caregiver. It is a break from all the surgeries and treatments.

vickiesangelwalk.org is a Financial Assistance for people that can not pay bills due to loss of income. http://www.vickiesangelwalk.org/- Click on Financial Aid

Also there is an organization that you may want to check out that is called Crossing The Finish Line. It is for young cancer patients (to age 50). If you qualify they will send you on an all expense paid vacation to Florida. They pay for you and your caregiver. It is a break from all the surgeries and treatments.

Livestrong Foundation for small grants.

If patient has insurance but still can’t pay, here are a few sites that may offer help when patients call:

1 Co-Pay Relief – http://www.copays.org or 866-512-3861

2. Patient Access Network Foundation – http://www.patientaccessnetwork.org or 866-316-7263

3. Patient Services Incorporated – http://www.uneedpsi.org or 800-366-7741

4. The Healthwell Foundation – http://www.healthwellfoundation.org or 800-675-8416

http://www.beyondtherainbow.org– Click on forms, then download/print out the application. (973) 628-7767 (Helps CT, PA, NY & NJ Residents)Good luck Boots!

MichaelFL
                                                    Participant

In addition to Southwest which I have seen posted here in the past, maybe this will help too:

Mercy Medical Airlift

Requires 14 day notice

888-675-1405

Miracle Flight

800-359-1711

Corporate Angel

Requires 1 week notice

800-328-1313

Continental Care Force

Requires 2 weeks notice

281-261-6626

Midwest Airlines

Miracle Miles Program

Requires 10 day notice

414-570-4118

Northwest Airlines

800-328-1111

Joes House http://www.joeshouse.com/ is something to consider for free/low cost housing for cancer patients and families. It is a non-profit organization, which serves cancer patients, their advocates, and social workers by providing a national online directory of local lodging accommodations.

http://www.cancer.org- On right side of page enter your zip code, then scroll down to "Local Resources", then click on "Assistance", there you will find all the local, statewide and even out-of-state resources for help financially and more. This website has numerous financial, medical and more information on crisis help. (800) ACS-2345

http://www.cancercare.org- click on "I'm a cancer patient" or "I am a loved one", then click on "Assistance", then click on "Financial Assistance", then download financial assistance form. (800) 813-HOPE

http://www.patientadvocate.org- click on "Personal Help", then "Request Assistance", then fill out the form below. (800) 532-5274

http://www.terminallyill.org- click on "Downloads/Forms", then click on "Application for Financial Assistance". (866) 668-1724

http://www.netwish.org- Netwish provides assistance, up to $500 for those who are able to demonstrate a financial need.

http://www.foodlion.com/LionsPride.asp- Click on bottom of page on “Request for assistance form”.

Hope Cancer Fund: 866-334-HOPE Provides a one time financial assistance program to families up to $150.

It is for young cancer patients ( to age 50). If you qualify they will send you on an all expense paid vacation to Florida. They pay for you and your caregiver. It is a break from all the surgeries and treatments.

vickiesangelwalk.org is a Financial Assistance for people that can not pay bills due to loss of income. http://www.vickiesangelwalk.org/- Click on Financial Aid

Also there is an organization that you may want to check out that is called Crossing The Finish Line. It is for young cancer patients (to age 50). If you qualify they will send you on an all expense paid vacation to Florida. They pay for you and your caregiver. It is a break from all the surgeries and treatments.

If patient has insurance but still can’t pay, here are a few sites that may offer help when patients call:

2. Patient Access Network Foundation – http://www.patientaccessnetwork.org or 866-316-7263

4. The Healthwell Foundation – http://www.healthwellfoundation.org or 800-675-8416

http://www.beyondtherainbow.org– Click on forms, then download/print out the application. (973) 628-7767 (Helps CT, PA, NY & NJ Residents)Good luck Boots!

boot2aboot
                                                        Participant

to save you calls and grief, healthwell foundation DOES NOT HELP MEL PEEPS on copay assistance>PERIOD

Continental Careforce is Kapoot

the flight assistance that Am Can Soc. gives you sucks and just makes you frustrated-no fracking help….if you need to fly, call southwest…if you need help with copays and you are union, call your union…a lot of these abive organizations either want you to send in a 50 page document, or don't help mel patients…trust me on this…i haven't tried copay relief because, they never called me back…and i have found that to be the case with most of the above…i HAVE found wonderful help with my copays but, it was through my work or…what i was before i got mel…from organizations supported by IATSE.

boots

boot2aboot
                                                          Participant

to save you calls and grief, healthwell foundation DOES NOT HELP MEL PEEPS on copay assistance>PERIOD

the flight assistance that Am Can Soc. gives you sucks and just makes you frustrated-no fracking help….if you need to fly, call southwest…if you need help with copays and you are union, call your union…a lot of these abive organizations either want you to send in a 50 page document, or don't help mel patients…trust me on this…i haven't tried copay relief because, they never called me back…and i have found that to be the case with most of the above…i HAVE found wonderful help with my copays but, it was through my work or…what i was before i got mel…from organizations supported by IATSE.

boots

boot2aboot
                                                            Participant

cancercare has a simple application that will give you 150…bucks for the year and some gas cards…everything helps…to apply for assistance get those hospital social workers working for you…they are glad to help and get bored sitting at their desks…these people go into these professions because they truly want to help

boots

i do this because others have helped…i try to play it forward

boot2aboot
                                                              Participant

cancercare has a simple application that will give you 150…bucks for the year and some gas cards…everything helps…to apply for assistance get those hospital social workers working for you…they are glad to help and get bored sitting at their desks…these people go into these professions because they truly want to help

boots

boot2aboot
                                                                Participant

Actually, i got this info wrong…SouthWest donates a LIMITED amount of air mils to Patient Airlift services and THATS the people who actually gets you off the ground…here is contact info in full:

Amanda Ranieri

Mission Coordinator

Patient AirLift Services  

http://www.palservices.org

O. 516.300.1660 x104 or 888.818.1231

F. 631.755.2184

[email protected]

sorry, my mistake…but if you need to get somewhere call amanda

boots
                                                                  boot2aboot
                                                                  Participant

Actually, i got this info wrong…SouthWest donates a LIMITED amount of air mils to Patient Airlift services and THATS the people who actually gets you off the ground…here is contact info in full:

Amanda Ranieri

Mission Coordinator

Patient AirLift Services  

F. 631.755.2184

[email protected]

boots
                                                                    boot2aboot
                                                                    Participant

Amanda Ranieri

Mission Coordinator

Patient AirLift Services  

F. 631.755.2184

[email protected]

boots
                                                                      boot2aboot
                                                                      Participant

boots

boot2aboot
                                                                        Participant

boots

MichaelFL
                                                                        Participant

Mercy Medical Airlift

Requires 14 day notice

888-675-1405

Miracle Flight

800-359-1711

Corporate Angel

Requires 1 week notice

800-328-1313

Continental Care Force

Requires 2 weeks notice

281-261-6626

Midwest Airlines

Miracle Miles Program

Requires 10 day notice

414-570-4118

Northwest Airlines

800-328-1111

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics