The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I’m Lonesome – Are U?

Forums General Melanoma Community I’m Lonesome – Are U?

Participant

My husband received the horrible news that he had Stage 4 Melanoma Cancer with tumors in his lung and liver. He has has a history of Melanoma for years but has always had body scans and had the Melanomas treated successfully. He has just finished his first series of the treatment IL-2 and it went better than expected. We now must wait until June 21 to receive the results of the treatment.

My husband received the horrible news that he had Stage 4 Melanoma Cancer with tumors in his lung and liver. He has has a history of Melanoma for years but has always had body scans and had the Melanomas treated successfully. He has just finished his first series of the treatment IL-2 and it went better than expected. We now must wait until June 21 to receive the results of the treatment. In the meantime, I have tried to find Cancer support groups in my area but have been unsuccsessful.  I am in counseling currently for what is going on but I need to talk to others who are actually going through the same thing I am going through as wife and primary care giver. Our lives have changed and I am having a very hard time adjusting. Lonesome, sometimes angry, frustrated are just some of the feelings I am feeling. Is there anyone out there who can help me?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        TinaR
        Participant

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis…this disease is frustrating and scary. How is the patient taking it? Is he having a difficult time… with this an added stressor for you as a caregiver? I'm both a patient ( in remission) and a caregiver of a very difficult patient with multiple diagnoses.  It's good that you are in counseling and can vent to a professional. I hope that you will hear from other caregivers who can give you the kind of support and helpful info you'll need in this fight.

I have nothing useful to share as I tend to  block my emotions and needs when dealing with the problems related to care giving and the life of uncertainty  cancer brings.Cognitive therapy type coping mechanisms are the best medicine for my personality- "It is what it is" and I stop thinking, just go through it doing what I have to for kids, house, husband.  If I stopped to process my feelings or get all touchy-feely I don't think I could cope at all. It works for me. At this rate, I may age out of ever having to deal with my own issues!

I hope you receive many replies that would be helpful for your family. I wish you and your husband all the best.

debandmike
            Participant

I wish I could be that way but I think I am am emotional mess type of person. My husband is actually taking it very well and is very positive. I am positive too but find it hard to cope when reality hits me hard. I just lost my dad in November and a very close girlfriend in January. I am trying to cope with more than I wish I had to. I hope other people reply to me too so I can progress through our journey. We have a wonderful dr. and medical facility, so that helps alot. Thank you for listening.

debandmike
              Participant

I wish I could be that way but I think I am am emotional mess type of person. My husband is actually taking it very well and is very positive. I am positive too but find it hard to cope when reality hits me hard. I just lost my dad in November and a very close girlfriend in January. I am trying to cope with more than I wish I had to. I hope other people reply to me too so I can progress through our journey. We have a wonderful dr. and medical facility, so that helps alot. Thank you for listening.

TinaR
              Participant

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis…this disease is frustrating and scary. How is the patient taking it? Is he having a difficult time… with this an added stressor for you as a caregiver? I'm both a patient ( in remission) and a caregiver of a very difficult patient with multiple diagnoses.  It's good that you are in counseling and can vent to a professional. I hope that you will hear from other caregivers who can give you the kind of support and helpful info you'll need in this fight.

I have nothing useful to share as I tend to  block my emotions and needs when dealing with the problems related to care giving and the life of uncertainty  cancer brings.Cognitive therapy type coping mechanisms are the best medicine for my personality- "It is what it is" and I stop thinking, just go through it doing what I have to for kids, house, husband.  If I stopped to process my feelings or get all touchy-feely I don't think I could cope at all. It works for me. At this rate, I may age out of ever having to deal with my own issues!

I hope you receive many replies that would be helpful for your family. I wish you and your husband all the best.

dian in spokane
                Participant

Deb,

I'm so sorry about your husband's progression. I am the patient, not the caregiver in my family, but I know that sometimes I have an almost irrational fear of losing my husband to some accident or illness, even though he is fine, so I can imagine how tough it must be for you.

Plus, I know how cancer can just..overrun your life.

I'm in the chat room right now if you'd like to come in and talk. Just look on the left side of the board where it says 'click here to chat'

You might also consider taking this post over to the main board, this side of the bulletin board doesn't get much activity anymore, and your post speaks to the heart of how melanoma effects a whole family, so it is appropriate for the main board (and here too!)

Also.. there are a few melanoma groups on Facebook if you are one of those facebookers.

dian in spokane
                  Participant

Deb,

I'm so sorry about your husband's progression. I am the patient, not the caregiver in my family, but I know that sometimes I have an almost irrational fear of losing my husband to some accident or illness, even though he is fine, so I can imagine how tough it must be for you.

Plus, I know how cancer can just..overrun your life.

I'm in the chat room right now if you'd like to come in and talk. Just look on the left side of the board where it says 'click here to chat'

You might also consider taking this post over to the main board, this side of the bulletin board doesn't get much activity anymore, and your post speaks to the heart of how melanoma effects a whole family, so it is appropriate for the main board (and here too!)

Also.. there are a few melanoma groups on Facebook if you are one of those facebookers.

boot2aboot
                    Participant

cancer is lonesome, isn't it?

can Karmonos center help by hooking you guys up to the 4th angel network?

i almost went to Karmonos…it has a good track record…

boot2aboot
                      Participant

cancer is lonesome, isn't it?

can Karmonos center help by hooking you guys up to the 4th angel network?

i almost went to Karmonos…it has a good track record…

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics