The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IL-2 responders.

Forums General Melanoma Community IL-2 responders.

Participant

Hi everyone. I think I'm fully recovered from round one of IL-2, been home for 6 days and I'm feeling good.  Feeling really good actually, I hope that's not a bad thing. I start my second round on Monday and am wondering, if I am fortunate enough to be one of the positive responders to the treatment, what would I expect to see? I was told that I'd probably be waiting for about 3 weeks to know if it's working.  I can't find much information about IL-2 working on people, at least in detail. Do tumors just shrivel and die?

Hi everyone. I think I'm fully recovered from round one of IL-2, been home for 6 days and I'm feeling good.  Feeling really good actually, I hope that's not a bad thing. I start my second round on Monday and am wondering, if I am fortunate enough to be one of the positive responders to the treatment, what would I expect to see? I was told that I'd probably be waiting for about 3 weeks to know if it's working.  I can't find much information about IL-2 working on people, at least in detail. Do tumors just shrivel and die? I have a good sized cluster on my back and one on my chest about  the size of a lima bean that I can actually see under my skin. The internal ones, I just have to hope for shrinkage. But would I actually be able to see these things physically get smaller? Also, I've heard from some people that tumors could actually swell or enlarge while being defeated. Has anyone heard or experienced this? I plan on asking my doctor these questions next time I see him, but until then, any information from anyone here would be really appreciated and put my sometimes worried mind at ease. Thankyou.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        KatyWI
        Participant

Hey Kevin,

My internal mets that vanished were smaller & weaker on the first PET after IL-2 and then just gone on the second.  My subQ that didn't respond would shrink during IL-2 and then plump back up afterwards.  So, if your subQs are responding, yes, I'd think you could physically see them shrink.  I have heard of tumors swelling before dying on Ipi, but I haven't heard the same thing about IL-2.

Glad you're feeling better.  It's not a bad sign.  As thinks battle wears on, it may take you longer to get to this point but most likely you will bounce back every time before you have to go back.

KatyWI

KatyWI
          Participant

Hey Kevin,

My internal mets that vanished were smaller & weaker on the first PET after IL-2 and then just gone on the second.  My subQ that didn't respond would shrink during IL-2 and then plump back up afterwards.  So, if your subQs are responding, yes, I'd think you could physically see them shrink.  I have heard of tumors swelling before dying on Ipi, but I haven't heard the same thing about IL-2.

Glad you're feeling better.  It's not a bad sign.  As thinks battle wears on, it may take you longer to get to this point but most likely you will bounce back every time before you have to go back.

KatyWI

Fen
            Participant

The board is slow on weekends, Kevin, and I know you'll be too busy to repost on Monday.  Just wanted to wish you luck with the next round.  Sending good vibes, prayers – whatever you want! Post when you can to let us know how it went.

Fen

Fen
              Participant

The board is slow on weekends, Kevin, and I know you'll be too busy to repost on Monday.  Just wanted to wish you luck with the next round.  Sending good vibes, prayers – whatever you want! Post when you can to let us know how it went.

Fen

SuzannefromCA
                Participant

Hi Kevin, are you doing just IL-2 or in combination with Biochemotherapy? I had a lung met and the Biochemo shrunk it totally away. I  did 18 treatments and self injected at home with IL-2 and Leukine as well. I would get sent for the periodic scans while I was going through the treatments and I don't know at what point there was actually shrinkage. I have been 4 years out now with no evidence of new disease. I had a total response to my treatment, but I know not everyone has been able to respond to Biochemo treatment, but it saved me. Who is your oncologist? Do you go to Dr. O'Day? I am up in the S.F. Bay Area and go to Dr. Minor.

Please keep us posted,

Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                  Participant

Hi Kevin, are you doing just IL-2 or in combination with Biochemotherapy? I had a lung met and the Biochemo shrunk it totally away. I  did 18 treatments and self injected at home with IL-2 and Leukine as well. I would get sent for the periodic scans while I was going through the treatments and I don't know at what point there was actually shrinkage. I have been 4 years out now with no evidence of new disease. I had a total response to my treatment, but I know not everyone has been able to respond to Biochemo treatment, but it saved me. Who is your oncologist? Do you go to Dr. O'Day? I am up in the S.F. Bay Area and go to Dr. Minor.

Please keep us posted,

Suzanne

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics