The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IL-2 and steroids, scans tomorrow

Forums General Melanoma Community IL-2 and steroids, scans tomorrow

Participant

Dave goes in for his first set of scans tomorrow to see if he is a reponder to IL-2.  We are certainly hoping he is, regardless of the steroids he has been on.  Unfortunately, after they started weaning him off the steroids when his vision returned he lost it again.  Since then his vision comes and goes, seemingly corresponding with the steroids and physical activity.  He has only worked one week since September, and it's driving him crazy.  He was hoping to be able to have some normalcy in between treatments, but I guess that may have been asking too much.

Dave goes in for his first set of scans tomorrow to see if he is a reponder to IL-2.  We are certainly hoping he is, regardless of the steroids he has been on.  Unfortunately, after they started weaning him off the steroids when his vision returned he lost it again.  Since then his vision comes and goes, seemingly corresponding with the steroids and physical activity.  He has only worked one week since September, and it's driving him crazy.  He was hoping to be able to have some normalcy in between treatments, but I guess that may have been asking too much.

So here's to hoping that he's a responder, and maybe he can take a break for a bit.  Another round of IL-2 is out of the question.  He said (and I support him) that he will not risk his eyesight.

Best wishes to all of you,

Maria

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant

Maria, I really hope that Dave's a responder.  I'm going for scans at the end of this week/beginning of next & I'm a nervous wreck.  After my second round I was walking into things!

take care,

karen

NYKaren
          Participant

Maria, I really hope that Dave's a responder.  I'm going for scans at the end of this week/beginning of next & I'm a nervous wreck.  After my second round I was walking into things!

take care,

karen

NYKaren
            Participant

take care,

karen

Karin L
              Participant

Here is to hoping and praying you both are responders!  I am glad your scans are soon.  Waiting is the worst.  The first week I went into the hospital for my first round of IL2 my LDH was 3800 (whoa)….by midweek it was in the 1200's (thrilled, but still horrible numbers).  I could not walk into the hospital due to the pain in my spine (mets).  Long story short….before I went in for round 3 I walked into the hospital on my own and my LDH levels were down in the 300's.  The one thing about IL2…you will know relatively quickly if it is working, which is a good thing.  If it isn't you can move forward.  Hang in there best you can.  We are here for you *big hugs*.

Karin

Karin L
                Participant

Here is to hoping and praying you both are responders!  I am glad your scans are soon.  Waiting is the worst.  The first week I went into the hospital for my first round of IL2 my LDH was 3800 (whoa)….by midweek it was in the 1200's (thrilled, but still horrible numbers).  I could not walk into the hospital due to the pain in my spine (mets).  Long story short….before I went in for round 3 I walked into the hospital on my own and my LDH levels were down in the 300's.  The one thing about IL2…you will know relatively quickly if it is working, which is a good thing.  If it isn't you can move forward.  Hang in there best you can.  We are here for you *big hugs*.

Karin

Karin L
                  Participant

Karin

lhaley
                    Participant

Good luck this morning with the scans. I hope you have the results before you leave the hospital.  Anxiety and waiting just destoys you.  

I was having some vision issues immediately I took the steroids.  They've done the different tests and thankfully the numbers are just slightly elevated.  There just always seems to be one more problem……

I know that Dave has had vision issues in the past and complicates.  It's difficult for him to continue working and to keep life as normal as possible.  I did keep my job the first 2 years that I was stage IV.  When the bladder became involved I just had to make my own decision.  The oncologist thought that as normalcy it was best.  It all depends on your job and the hours.  As a teacher I just couldn't be in and out and would be totally inefficient. Stress working became so difficult that it couldn't work out for me.  My principal actually was hounding me to make a decision and just couldn't get it since surgery decisions hadn't been made.   I hope Dave can work with his employer so it can keep his saneness….

Let us know.

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

Good luck this morning with the scans. I hope you have the results before you leave the hospital.  Anxiety and waiting just destoys you.  

I was having some vision issues immediately I took the steroids.  They've done the different tests and thankfully the numbers are just slightly elevated.  There just always seems to be one more problem……

I know that Dave has had vision issues in the past and complicates.  It's difficult for him to continue working and to keep life as normal as possible.  I did keep my job the first 2 years that I was stage IV.  When the bladder became involved I just had to make my own decision.  The oncologist thought that as normalcy it was best.  It all depends on your job and the hours.  As a teacher I just couldn't be in and out and would be totally inefficient. Stress working became so difficult that it couldn't work out for me.  My principal actually was hounding me to make a decision and just couldn't get it since surgery decisions hadn't been made.   I hope Dave can work with his employer so it can keep his saneness….

Let us know.

Linda

lhaley
                        Participant

Let us know.

Linda

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

Maria, I just like to wish Dave good luck with his scans. Hope that the results are better than expected, and that his eyesight can improve and stabilise.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                            Participant

Maria, I just like to wish Dave good luck with his scans. Hope that the results are better than expected, and that his eyesight can improve and stabilise.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                              Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

Laurie from maine
                                  Participant

good luck – let us know.  Will be thinking of you.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                    Participant

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                      Participant

laurie from maine

CarolA
                                      Participant

Dear Maria,    I hope everything went without complication for Dave's appointment and that you won't have to wait long for the results of the tests/scans.   Just wanted you to know that I continue to think of you often and remain interested and concerned about both of you.    The issues Dave has had with his vision is so upsetting to read.   You have remained so clear-headed through this, Maria.   I can see where you are such incredible support, and so wise in your research and sharing that knowledge on the board.    Wishing you well via good thoughts and prayers.

CarolA

CarolA
                                        Participant

Dear Maria,    I hope everything went without complication for Dave's appointment and that you won't have to wait long for the results of the tests/scans.   Just wanted you to know that I continue to think of you often and remain interested and concerned about both of you.    The issues Dave has had with his vision is so upsetting to read.   You have remained so clear-headed through this, Maria.   I can see where you are such incredible support, and so wise in your research and sharing that knowledge on the board.    Wishing you well via good thoughts and prayers.

CarolA

CarolA
                                          Participant

CarolA

MariaH
                                            Participant

Thank you all for the kind words.  We get the results at 10:30 today.  We were both up at 2:30 this morning pacing the floor.  Scanxiety is in full force here.

I will post the results (regardless of what they are) as soon as we can.

All our best,

Dave and Maria

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

Waiting for the results and praying they will be good.

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

MariaH
                                                    Participant

Thank you all for the kind words.  We get the results at 10:30 today.  We were both up at 2:30 this morning pacing the floor.  Scanxiety is in full force here.

All our best,

Dave and Maria

MariaH
                                                      Participant

All our best,

Dave and Maria

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics