The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IL-2

Participant
      Hi everybody,

I hope the new year brings health, good news and vitality for all of us.

We are currently considering IL-2
      Does anybody has experience with it?

How does it go? Is it worth the shot? What are the early success indicators?

Thanks!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hi Summer,

IL-2 is one of the older drugs in the melanoma treatment arsenal and can be administered IV as a single agent, used as part of TIL, as well as intralesionally. So, I’m not quite sure which variety you are looking at for your mom. However, if it is IV as a single agent, the data shows that there is only a 10% response rate, though 4-5% of those responses can be durable (lasting over many years). Charlie S on this board is a living testament to how durable this treatment can be!!!

It is a pretty rough haul. It is very basically covered within this primer I put together: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/melanoma-intel-primer-for-current.html

However, more recently, IL-2 has been examined as a sequential therapy (both before and after anti-PD-1, for instance) with some positive results! Here are some posts that cover such recent uses:
          https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=IL-2

I hope this helps and wish you and your mom my best. celeste

Summer S.
            Participant
              Hi Celeste

Thank you so much this is really helpful,

Honestly I am not really sure what we exactly we are looking for now, we seem to have already failed couple of therapies .

We still have not figured out what is next- so am trying to do all the research I can before meeting with our oncologist tomorrow.

However, IL-2 intratumor usage seem to be effective with a decent safety profile – so we will see about that and I will keep you guys updated.

Thank you so much!
              Love,
              S.

ed williams
            Participant
              Something to consider is a new twist to IL-2 called NKTR-214 drug from Nectar Pharma. They have taken the drug IL-2 and pegelated it to make it less toxic, slower acting, which is showing less side effects compared to old school IL-2, they are running a trial where they have combined it with Nivo (Pd-1) drug. Here are a couple of links including a video explaining things in detail by an Oncologist Dr.Adi Diab from MD Anderson as well a link to clinical trial NCT 03635983.https://news.bms.com/press-release/partnering-news/nektar-therapeutics-and-bristol-myers-squibb-announce-us-fda-breakthro https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03635983
                Summer S.
                Participant
                  Hi Ed!

Yes, I heard of it – sounds very interesting

But unfortunately, we have not been able to get into clinical trials, for not being US-Residents.

Thank you dear
                  Love,
                  S.

ed williams
                  Participant
                    If you click on link to clinical trial and scroll down to location of trials, you will see that it is a global trial with US, Canada, Australia, Belgium etc participating in this large trial. Most G20 countries have new trials happening with immunotherapy drugs, injectables like Tvec or TLR-9, targeted therapy triplet combinations with Immunotherapy and Til’s trials specific to melanoma. The big problem research is having is getting enough patients to fill the trial due to the fact that the standard of care options are so good now patients aren’t signing up for the research trials like they have in the past when options didn’t exist. Best Wishes!!!Ed
                    jbronicki
                    Participant
                      I second what Ed has said about trials, the issue is patient enrollment and getting more patients to enroll! It is the single most important variable for clinical trials, can’t do the research without the people! I was at a conference this year where the focus was on this sole issue. I know we enroll patients in multiple countries in our trials, most major trials are international now for multiple reasons: 1) more enrollment due to access to more patients 2) more diversity statistically (there is a lot of research about outcomes across countries and various populations with different demographics) 3) drug approval in multiple countries means larger market
                Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics