The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IIIA – 8.5 years NED

Forums General Melanoma Community IIIA – 8.5 years NED

Participant

Hi,

Wanting to share the good news with those of you who might be just starting this scary journey with melanoma.  My husband had his semi-annual onco appointment yesterday and got the fantastic news that he remans NED.  Still seeing a little hypodensity on his liver, but it's been stable for at least 2 years now, so not a concern.

Hi,

Wanting to share the good news with those of you who might be just starting this scary journey with melanoma.  My husband had his semi-annual onco appointment yesterday and got the fantastic news that he remans NED.  Still seeing a little hypodensity on his liver, but it's been stable for at least 2 years now, so not a concern.

He was diagnosed at age 26 at stage iiia, 1.3mm depth on his right tricep.  Surgery to remove the lesion and an SNB revealing micromets, followed by surgery to remove all the nodes in the basin.  He has been NED ever since, with annual scans, semi-annual bloodwork and onc visits.

He is now 34 and has accomplished so much in life since his diagnosis, including the births of our children (one passed away, and the other just turned 1!), buying our dream house, earning a teaching certificate and a master's degree, and finding rewarding employment as a science teacher.  Life has been good to us, even through the toughest times…

Best to you all,

Wendy

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sharon in Reno
        Participant

My goodness, this is bittersweet. I'm so sorry for your loss and send my deepest sympathy to you and your family while at the same time very happy that your husband has remained NED for 2 yrs. Thank-you for sharing. love, Sharon in Reno, Stage IV

ValinMtl
          Participant

So pleased to hear that your husband is still NED 8.5 years later. You both have gone through so much, loss of a child being the toughest in the world….I pray you are smiled down upon and live happily ever after now.  Val

washoegal
            Participant

Wendy, First let me offer my symphathies for the loss of you child.  Then I'd like to thank you for sharing your story.  I was just diagnosed 3A in March of this year so it is wonderful to hear of someone going on to live a fulfilling life.

Mary

BethA in VA
                Participant

For your loss, my deepest sympathy.  For your joys, yea!  How nice to hear good positive news from someone in this MM family that has done so well.  Celebrate. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics