The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

If you cannot finish the 4 rounds of Yervoy for Adjuvant Treatment, what is next?

Forums General Melanoma Community If you cannot finish the 4 rounds of Yervoy for Adjuvant Treatment, what is next?

Participant

My husband has had 3 rounds of 10 mg yervoy, but he is having so many reactions.  In fact, they admitted him in the hospital yesterday.  Strong diarrhea, extreme fatigue, welts, etc.  Prednisone has been the wonder drug, but as soon as they wean him off, he is back to the fatigue and above issues.  It does not look good for his fourth infusion (he is Stage 3b).  Anyone go through this and what plan of action was taken when you could not finish up yervoy treatment?

I cannot tell you how much this site has helped me.

Donna

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Donna, it is hard to find Oncologist talking about Ipi side effects in adjuvant setting however I do have a video with Oncologist talking about ipi/nivo combination where they get into ipi risks and how much to push when it comes to getting to 4th dose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCOAk7i9kmU  I also have the EORTC 18071 trial presentation at ESMO last year by Dr. Alexander Eggermont and at the 5 min mark he starts talking about side effects with Ipi at 10mg/kg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIeSOcVcRh4   Best Wishes!!!Ed

AliCat61
          Participant

Donna, My husband (Stage IV metastatic melanoma) was scheduled for 4 rounds of the Yervoy/Opdivo treatment. He started in March. A couple of his treatments had to be postponed due to complications, pneumonia, etc. They have decided that his enlarged heart and fluid in and around lungs is a result of the Yervoy. He successfully completed 3 treatments, but it is not wise for him to have the 4th. The plan now is to just skip that 4th combo treatment and continue with Opdivo (nivolumab) infusions every 2 weeks, indefinitely as long as he is responding. It is my understanding the Opdivo alone as far fewer side effects. Even with only 3 treatments, the tumor in his parotid gland completely disappeared and the spot on his lung has gone from 2.3 mm to 1.8mm. We are optimistic. Stay strong and talk with your doctor., If you don't understand something or question a course of action, ask the doctor to clarify until you do. There are very knowledgeable people here, Celeste (Bubbles) especially, who have a treasure trove of information. I'm sure others will chime in. Stay strong! I'll be praying for you and your husband.

Newmanbell
              Participant

Love you all for responding and helping me during this really awful time in our lives.

Donna

Newmanbell
                Participant

Love you all for responding and helping me during this really awful time in our lives.

Donna

jennunicorn
                Participant

So sorry your husband is dealing with major reactions to ipi, it can be such a mean drug! Best thing is to not do the 4th dose, getting 3 is a lot and if it's going to work for your husband, that's plenty to do the job. Now, he would go to observation. Obviously getting his side effects under control and gone would be the first step. He would see his oncologist for regular check ups and keep up with regular scan intervals.

All the best,

lshepard27
                  Participant

Donna –only 40 percent of people finish all four doses according to our Georgetown Dr  we only got one double dose in.  but that was enough to get things started. 

MikeW
                    Participant

I'm a bit of a similar story…I was on Keytruda for 3 treatments and then pulled off due to side effects. But, my first scan came back clean.  I'm not sure what the doc was going to prescribe if the scan came back adverse…

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics