The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

If they put me on steroids

Forums General Melanoma Community If they put me on steroids

Participant

I'm taking Nivolumab. I've had very slow yet steady progress. Currently my liver is inflamed and my oncologist is talking about putting me on steroids Monday to reduce the swelling and take away the liver pain. I realize I should've asked her this question when I was there, but I just didn't. If she puts me on steroids, will she just write the prescription that I'll have filled locally? Or will this involve a hospital stay so they can be playing with the dosage and monitoring me closely?

just trying to make my plan for next week and don't know if I can plan one day for this or if I need to plan a little time in the hospital.

Any info is appreciated.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hey Thandster,

Great about the steady progress on nivo! Sorry about the liver problems. If your onc didn't admit you at the start of your symptoms (or recognition of the problem), I doubt she will now unless some other problem develops. I'm sure your labs and/or scans will be followed to check your progress and that may require additional visits. Of course, I can't know for sure…but that's my best guess! One more bit of reassurance for you…. Check out Brian P's thread below. Roughly it notes that while side effects to immunotherapy don't necessarily indicate you are having a better response to treatment…or not….treating the side effects with steroids or other meds does NOT diminish your chance at positive effects. Wishing you my best. Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Hey Thandster,

Great about the steady progress on nivo! Sorry about the liver problems. If your onc didn't admit you at the start of your symptoms (or recognition of the problem), I doubt she will now unless some other problem develops. I'm sure your labs and/or scans will be followed to check your progress and that may require additional visits. Of course, I can't know for sure…but that's my best guess! One more bit of reassurance for you…. Check out Brian P's thread below. Roughly it notes that while side effects to immunotherapy don't necessarily indicate you are having a better response to treatment…or not….treating the side effects with steroids or other meds does NOT diminish your chance at positive effects. Wishing you my best. Celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

Hey Thandster,

evieg
              Participant

Dr. Weber from Moffit…. "Absolutely, do not take steroids when doing Immunotherapy…suppresses the immune system."

Thandster
                  Participant

Nice anonymous. I'll listen to some nameless faceless post because I have every reason to believe you know what you're talking about. So I'll just let my liver continue to swell until it stops functioning. Then I'll be what???? DEAD!

thank you for such good info

Thandster
                    Participant

Nice anonymous. I'll listen to some nameless faceless post because I have every reason to believe you know what you're talking about. So I'll just let my liver continue to swell until it stops functioning. Then I'll be what???? DEAD!

casagrayson
                      Participant

Yep.  Steroids suppress the immune system.  But sometimes the benefits greatly outweigh the risk. There are no absolutes!

casagrayson
                        Participant

Yep.  Steroids suppress the immune system.  But sometimes the benefits greatly outweigh the risk. There are no absolutes!

casagrayson
                          Participant

Thandster
                            Participant

My main point was that my question was about planning my week and would I have to stay in the hospital. I in NO way suggested that I needed advice about the treatment and what to do. Will I be in the hospital overnight or not? I received one post that actually addressed the question I asked.

Thandster
                              Participant

My main point was that my question was about planning my week and would I have to stay in the hospital. I in NO way suggested that I needed advice about the treatment and what to do. Will I be in the hospital overnight or not? I received one post that actually addressed the question I asked.

casagrayson
                                Participant

I certainly can't give you a definitive answer because I have never been in your situation, but I would assume this would just be an oral steroid that you take at home over the course of a week to ten days.

casagrayson
                                  Participant

I certainly can't give you a definitive answer because I have never been in your situation, but I would assume this would just be an oral steroid that you take at home over the course of a week to ten days.

casagrayson
                                    Participant

Thandster
                                      Participant

Thandster
                                        Participant

evieg
                                        Participant

Dr. Weber from Moffit…. "Absolutely, do not take steroids when doing Immunotherapy…suppresses the immune system."

evieg
                                          Participant

Bubbles
                                            Participant

Wow, anon's are sooooo smart!!!  AND….up-to-date!!!  Weber has been my oncologist since 2010.  Guess who said this??????

"Drug related AE's to nivo were primarily low grade and the incidence of grade 3/4 drug related AE's was not affected by prior ipi.  Nearly all grade 3/4 AE's resolved with steroids which did NOT appear to impact on tumor response."

Yep, Weber…that's who…along with a lot of other smart peeps who publish data under their name!!!  Quote is within:  Safety profile in nivolumab in patients with advanced melanoma:  A pooled analysis.  J Clin Oncol 33, 2015.  Weber, Antonia, Topalian, Schandendorf, Sznol, et al. From ASCO 2015

Here's a link to that article and others:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/05/asco-2015-adverse-effects-from-nivo-and.html

And another out this month:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/08/immune-related-side-effects-from.html

Best of luck, Thandster!  c

Bubbles
                                              Participant

Wow, anon's are sooooo smart!!!  AND….up-to-date!!!  Weber has been my oncologist since 2010.  Guess who said this??????

"Drug related AE's to nivo were primarily low grade and the incidence of grade 3/4 drug related AE's was not affected by prior ipi.  Nearly all grade 3/4 AE's resolved with steroids which did NOT appear to impact on tumor response."

Yep, Weber…that's who…along with a lot of other smart peeps who publish data under their name!!!  Quote is within:  Safety profile in nivolumab in patients with advanced melanoma:  A pooled analysis.  J Clin Oncol 33, 2015.  Weber, Antonia, Topalian, Schandendorf, Sznol, et al. From ASCO 2015

Here's a link to that article and others:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/05/asco-2015-adverse-effects-from-nivo-and.html

And another out this month:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/08/immune-related-side-effects-from.html

Thandster
                                                  Participant

Thank you for all the info Celeste. I was at my oncologist yesterday and she brought up the steroids and I was trying to avoid it because I was worried it would hurt the Nivo. So she agreed to re-check bloodwork Monday and decide then. Thing that sucks is that it's a 2 hour drive. I came back last night hoping things would improve so I didn't have to take the steroid, then this morning read Brian's post and your links there. I'm completely kicking myself for not just doing what she said. I've been stage 4 for about 3 months and she's pulled me back from deaths door a couple times already and still I question her. Oh well. I'll make another trip. 

Thanks again for all of the info.

Thandster
                                                    Participant

Thank you for all the info Celeste. I was at my oncologist yesterday and she brought up the steroids and I was trying to avoid it because I was worried it would hurt the Nivo. So she agreed to re-check bloodwork Monday and decide then. Thing that sucks is that it's a 2 hour drive. I came back last night hoping things would improve so I didn't have to take the steroid, then this morning read Brian's post and your links there. I'm completely kicking myself for not just doing what she said. I've been stage 4 for about 3 months and she's pulled me back from deaths door a couple times already and still I question her. Oh well. I'll make another trip. 

pookerpb
                                                      Participant
                                                        Husband (stage iv) has been on keytruda for 8os now with very slow response but non the less response. Had pretty significant pneumonitis of the lungs 2mos ago so so due to keytruda siDE effect. On high hose steroid for 6 weeks. The one lymph node that is the largest went from golf ball to tennis ball size on steroid. As soon as next infusion started after weened of ateeoid, node immediately shrunk down to golf ball again. Like u stated above, it was either steroids for him or death from lung infection….no brainer. Good luck to you…
                                                        pookerpb
                                                        Participant
                                                          Husband (stage iv) has been on keytruda for 8os now with very slow response but non the less response. Had pretty significant pneumonitis of the lungs 2mos ago so so due to keytruda siDE effect. On high hose steroid for 6 weeks. The one lymph node that is the largest went from golf ball to tennis ball size on steroid. As soon as next infusion started after weened of ateeoid, node immediately shrunk down to golf ball again. Like u stated above, it was either steroids for him or death from lung infection….no brainer. Good luck to you…
                                                          pookerpb
                                                          Participant
                                                            Thandster
                                                            Participant

Bubbles
                                                            Participant

MattF
                                                              Participant

OMG

It is a perscription……you will fill it locally nd take 1 to 3 plls a day etc.

its normal and can greatly improve qualty of life.

MattF
                                                                Participant

OMG

MattF
                                                                  Participant

OMG

s.aumann
                                                                    Participant

Steroids (at least the one my son is on – Decadron) can be filled anywhere and will reduce the edema/swelling and is helpful for the rashes that are a common side effect. They will also give you increased energy and increased appetite. (my son gained 8 lbs in 7 days). This being said, steroids also interfer with Ketruda, making the treatment ineffective. I would think that unless the swelling is life-threatening, you shouldn't go on the steroids. Except our Dr. just said that ketruda could be still effective when patients have started it and then used steroids to treat rashes.

My son has to be on steroids because he has over 40 brain mets, all of them swelling , putting pressure on his brain, causing a heart-breaking decline both cognitive and physical(strength,balance,coordination). Everytime we try weaning him off the steroids he declines. We were trying to wean him off because he is getting th infusion, too. He went on steroids the 2nd day after his 1st infusion, and has to stay on them because it is the only thing that keeps the swelling down.

Best to you,

SarahAt. .

s.aumann
                                                                      Participant

Steroids (at least the one my son is on – Decadron) can be filled anywhere and will reduce the edema/swelling and is helpful for the rashes that are a common side effect. They will also give you increased energy and increased appetite. (my son gained 8 lbs in 7 days). This being said, steroids also interfer with Ketruda, making the treatment ineffective. I would think that unless the swelling is life-threatening, you shouldn't go on the steroids. Except our Dr. just said that ketruda could be still effective when patients have started it and then used steroids to treat rashes.

My son has to be on steroids because he has over 40 brain mets, all of them swelling , putting pressure on his brain, causing a heart-breaking decline both cognitive and physical(strength,balance,coordination). Everytime we try weaning him off the steroids he declines. We were trying to wean him off because he is getting th infusion, too. He went on steroids the 2nd day after his 1st infusion, and has to stay on them because it is the only thing that keeps the swelling down.

Best to you,

SarahAt. .

s.aumann
                                                                        Participant

Best to you,

SarahAt. .

s.aumann
                                                                          Participant

Best to you,

SarahA. .

s.aumann
                                                                              Participant

I didn't realize i posted my response 2 times.. Can you delete a post? Also, I saw that (Bubbles?) had a link and I tried to creat a link and wasn't able too. Thirdly, I'm a newbie. I've only posted or replied a coupleof times-  my keyboarding sucks so it's hard to spend the time, but have had wonderful responses. I love what I read, and hearing other stories. Thank you all for that.

People, including Oncologist, said not to go on steroids while you take katruda, so I can't tell you how RELIEVED I am to hear it doesn't interfer with tumor response. (i didn't understand someof that info, though, too medical) I have been so fearful for my son, because several drs. have written him off, or so it seems, with their sad "there is no hope" looks when they see the scans.

SarahA.

s.aumann
                                                                                Participant

I didn't realize i posted my response 2 times.. Can you delete a post? Also, I saw that (Bubbles?) had a link and I tried to creat a link and wasn't able too. Thirdly, I'm a newbie. I've only posted or replied a coupleof times-  my keyboarding sucks so it's hard to spend the time, but have had wonderful responses. I love what I read, and hearing other stories. Thank you all for that.

People, including Oncologist, said not to go on steroids while you take katruda, so I can't tell you how RELIEVED I am to hear it doesn't interfer with tumor response. (i didn't understand someof that info, though, too medical) I have been so fearful for my son, because several drs. have written him off, or so it seems, with their sad "there is no hope" looks when they see the scans.

SarahA.

s.aumann
                                                                                  Participant

SarahA.

s.aumann
                                                                                  Participant

Best to you,

SarahA. .

s.aumann
                                                                                    Participant

Best to you,

SarahA. .

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics