The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I wonder if people who had melanoma , They will l die sooner or later for melanoma .

Forums General Melanoma Community I wonder if people who had melanoma , They will l die sooner or later for melanoma .

Participant

Hello

Besides live in fear, I wonder if people who  had melanoma , They will l die sooner or later for melanoma ..

Know someone who had  melanoma and  died for other disease?

My husband was diagnosed two years ago with stage 3A. Now he is 40 years old.

thanks and regards

gaby (argentina)

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

There are surival statistics for every stage.  At each stage, you will get some who die from melanoma, and others who don't.  As you go from stage 1 to stage 4, the percentages change drastically.  You get more survivors the lower the stage.  There is no way to know which individual will be in the "survivor" camp and who will eventually succumb to melanoma.  For example, I had a stage IB melanoma removed 21 years ago at age 29 (and 2 subsequent melanomas) and I'm still here not planning to die from melanoma.

Janner
          Participant

There are surival statistics for every stage.  At each stage, you will get some who die from melanoma, and others who don't.  As you go from stage 1 to stage 4, the percentages change drastically.  You get more survivors the lower the stage.  There is no way to know which individual will be in the "survivor" camp and who will eventually succumb to melanoma.  For example, I had a stage IB melanoma removed 21 years ago at age 29 (and 2 subsequent melanomas) and I'm still here not planning to die from melanoma.

Janner
            Participant

kpcollins31
              Participant
                We will all die someday from one thing or another. No sense worrying about it. While my pathology report from my recent surgery is not back yet, I am likely stage 4… and I turn 40 this month… And I plan to be around for quite a while longer. The stats for melanoma do not make much sense anymore as they were developed prior to the availability of new treatments. Live life with your husband and try not to worry about what might be because there are lots of steps in between.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                Participant
                  We will all die someday from one thing or another. No sense worrying about it. While my pathology report from my recent surgery is not back yet, I am likely stage 4… and I turn 40 this month… And I plan to be around for quite a while longer. The stats for melanoma do not make much sense anymore as they were developed prior to the availability of new treatments. Live life with your husband and try not to worry about what might be because there are lots of steps in between.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                  Participant

Kevin

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Yes, I have known people with even STAGE IV melanoma to live many years and then die from other diseases, even from "old AGE" .  Don't know what I am going to die from.  Might be melanoma, might not, even though I haven't been NED in 7 years. I know some people that were told back in the 1990's that they would be gone in a few months that are still going.  Are y'all stil looking at trying to get a State side Onc?

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Yes, I have known people with even STAGE IV melanoma to live many years and then die from other diseases, even from "old AGE" .  Don't know what I am going to die from.  Might be melanoma, might not, even though I haven't been NED in 7 years. I know some people that were told back in the 1990's that they would be gone in a few months that are still going.  Are y'all stil looking at trying to get a State side Onc?

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics