The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I should know the answer to this…

Forums General Melanoma Community I should know the answer to this…

• This topic has 12 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dvd.
    Participant

I am Stage 3 dx Jan 2015, CLND right axillary Feb 2015, 17 nodes removed with 5 positive plus matting, unknown primary.  I'm doing great now and NED since the surgery. 

My question is about the term "metastatic". I've signed up for WhatsNext, and periodically get invitations to participate in surveys. Some of them indicate that they are for Stage 3 or 4 metastatic melanoma patients, but I'm confused about the "metastatic" part. I've only ever heard the term applied to Stage 4 patients, it there such a thing as metastatic Stage 3? Or is WhatsNext not correct?

I really couldn't care less about the surveys, this is just a question that has rolled around in my head for a little while…more out of curiosity than anything else.  "Metastatic" only refers to Stage 4, correct?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

If melanoma has moved anywhere from its original primary (exception when the primary is unknown) to any other part of the body…it is metastatic.

Perhaps this will help:  http://www.cancer.org/treatment/understandingyourdiagnosis/advancedcancer/advanced-cancer-what-is-metastatic

c

BrianP
            Participant

Beat me to it.  Need to refresh my screen more often ๐Ÿ™‚

BrianP
              Participant

BrianP
                Participant

Bubbles
                Participant

If melanoma has moved anywhere from its original primary (exception when the primary is unknown) to any other part of the body…it is metastatic.

Perhaps this will help:  http://www.cancer.org/treatment/understandingyourdiagnosis/advancedcancer/advanced-cancer-what-is-metastatic

c

Bubbles
                  Participant

c

BrianP
                    Participant

From NCI:

"Metastatic cancer is cancer that has spread from the place where it first started to another place in the body. A tumor formed by metastatic cancer cells is called a metastatic tumor or a metastasis. The process by which cancer cells spread to other parts of the body is also called metastasis.

Metastatic cancer has the same name and the same type of cancer cells as the original, or primary, cancer. For example, breast cancer that spreads to the lung and forms a metastatic tumor is metastatic breast cancer, not lung cancer."

By that definition stage III can by metastatic.  In my case my primary was on my left chest and it later spread (metastasized) to my left axillary.  In your case with an unknown primary it's not as clear cut in my mind but I guess you have to take the leap that it started somewhere else and metastasized to your right axillary.

Brian

dvd
                        Participant

Like many things in medicine, there can be different interpretations. Definitions of "metastatic" often refer to development of tumors in "different body areas" from the primary. If the primary lesion is, for example, on the scalp and a tumor develops in a neck lymph node, some will define this as "extension" of the primary rather than a metastasis since it is in the lymphatic drainage area of the scalp and not really a different body area. Similarly, Brian's situation would be called "extension" by some, not "metastatic." Without a definite primary lesion things are even more vague. This, obviously, affects the staging and, potentially, the availability of treatment options. It's not all black & white, there are some grey areas open to interpretation.

dvd

dvd
                          Participant

Like many things in medicine, there can be different interpretations. Definitions of "metastatic" often refer to development of tumors in "different body areas" from the primary. If the primary lesion is, for example, on the scalp and a tumor develops in a neck lymph node, some will define this as "extension" of the primary rather than a metastasis since it is in the lymphatic drainage area of the scalp and not really a different body area. Similarly, Brian's situation would be called "extension" by some, not "metastatic." Without a definite primary lesion things are even more vague. This, obviously, affects the staging and, potentially, the availability of treatment options. It's not all black & white, there are some grey areas open to interpretation.

dvd

dvd
                            Participant

dvd

BrianP
                            Participant

From NCI:

"Metastatic cancer is cancer that has spread from the place where it first started to another place in the body. A tumor formed by metastatic cancer cells is called a metastatic tumor or a metastasis. The process by which cancer cells spread to other parts of the body is also called metastasis.

Metastatic cancer has the same name and the same type of cancer cells as the original, or primary, cancer. For example, breast cancer that spreads to the lung and forms a metastatic tumor is metastatic breast cancer, not lung cancer."

By that definition stage III can by metastatic.  In my case my primary was on my left chest and it later spread (metastasized) to my left axillary.  In your case with an unknown primary it's not as clear cut in my mind but I guess you have to take the leap that it started somewhere else and metastasized to your right axillary.

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

From NCI:

Brian

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics